05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Painting window switch plates

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/06, 09:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nole_trainer
Is this a paint for plastic?
According to the can it is "ideal for trim accessories." I doesn't say for metal only or for plastic only.
Old 6/3/06, 10:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man, that looks nice... I think I am going to do this as well!

And I have been trying to find a place that would do the red leather door inserts for me, but I may just get red and paint it on for now!

>>Anyone know how to get the door handle inserts out?<<

The way I got mine out was to take a screwdriver and carefully pry out the face of the handle and then reach in there unplug the switch, and then un hook the door cable... But I know other people who had to take off the door panel to do this as well... I have attached a picture of what the handle looks like when I pulled it out and just the cable was still attached.
Attached Thumbnails Painting window switch plates-2005_mustang_door_handle-sm.jpg  
Old 6/4/06, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
And I have been trying to find a place that would do the red leather door inserts for me, but I may just get red and paint it on for now!
Sorry to hear you haven't found someone to do your doors yet! Have you thought about sueade, it's a lot thinner than the leather???? Don't know if the perferations would show or not???? It went on great on my headliner a-pillars, and trim......kind of pimpish, buy I love it!!!
Old 6/4/06, 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pittperson
According to the can it is "ideal for trim accessories." I doesn't say for metal only or for plastic only.
Great, I'll go try and find that color today!!!! You did a great job on yours, did you apply the clear over the final project?? Can't wait to see some final pixs.
Old 6/4/06, 06:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Nope, no clear coat on mine.
Old 6/4/06, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a hard time finding "Dull Aluminum", where did you get yours?? I spent the whole evening looking, no luck!! Now I just looked on Krylon's site and they don't list dull Aluminum, did you get another brand for that color???
Here in Canada, I got mine at Canadian Tire. It is Krylon.

On the Krylon site, I did find Dull Aluminum (code 1403) under "Metallics", here is a link:

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

My can looks like the "Interior-Exterior" can under "General Purpose".

Hope that leads you to something.
Old 6/4/06, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Check em out... I'll get installed pictures in the day light tomorrow.

Anyone know how to get the door handle inserts out?
Lookin' great! Nice job!
Old 6/4/06, 08:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, that looks nice... I think I am going to do this as well!

>>Anyone know how to get the door handle inserts out?<<

The way I got mine out was to take a screwdriver and carefully pry out the face of the handle and then reach in there unplug the switch, and then un hook the door cable... But I know other people who had to take off the door panel to do this as well... I have attached a picture of what the handle looks like when I pulled it out and just the cable was still attached.
I think the place that is doing Brad's seat covers do door panel inserts as well. it was on a thread somewhere. I f no one knows,I'll try to find it.
Old 6/4/06, 08:19 AM
GTR Member

Check em out... I'll get installed pictures in the day light tomorrow.

Anyone know how to get the door handle inserts out?
That is a **** perfect match and I'm gonna get that color Nice job Pitt
Old 6/4/06, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear you haven't found someone to do your doors yet! Have you thought about sueade, it's a lot thinner than the leather???? Don't know if the perferations would show or not???? It went on great on my headliner a-pillars, and trim......kind of pimpish, buy I love it!!!
I have actually thought about suede! I thought that it would actually look kinda cool, a nice contrast with the leather, but still pull it together with the red and I wouldn't worry about the perferations for the suede... I have been trying to figure out how I could do that, but everytime I think about it, I feel like I am in over my head! I have found a couple places online where I could order Suede, Vinyl and leather, I just don't know if I would end up screwing it up more that making it better...

>>I think the place that is doing Brad's seat covers do door panel inserts as well. it was on a thread somewhere. I f no one knows,I'll try to find it.<<

If you can find it, I'll definitely check it out!
Old 6/4/06, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

My paint is drying as I type this

I used "silver" duplicolor "import auto spray" which is an identical match to the IUP vents. The number on the cap is 8801530. I'll have pictures when I'm done.

The actual switches were a pain in butt to get out.
Ok, that was an easy color to find!!! Thanks pittperson!! Now to find the time and creative energy to do this. I might just duplicate what you guys have done. They all look good, so why not????? I'll post pixs in the next couple of weeks, as I'm out of town this comming up weekend.....
Old 6/4/06, 03:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I few more pictures in the day light, I painted the door lock thing too. If I had the right size star screw driver to get the door handle enclosures off those would be painted too. I'll get to that eventually.
Attached Thumbnails Painting window switch plates-img_3882.jpg   Painting window switch plates-img_3883.jpg  
Old 6/4/06, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I few more pictures in the day light, I painted the door lock thing too. If I had the right size star screw driver to get the door handle enclosures off those would be painted too. I'll get to that eventually.
Very nice! Did the door lock thing just pop off?
Old 6/4/06, 05:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

yep, just pops right off.
Old 6/4/06, 08:35 PM

hmm I really like the painted door lock look. I think you just helped me out on my next mod.

ps post pics if you get the door handle enclosures done I may attempt this one as well.
Old 6/4/06, 11:26 PM
GTR Member

I have actually thought about suede! I thought that it would actually look kinda cool, a nice contrast with the leather, but still pull it together with the red and I wouldn't worry about the perferations for the suede... I have been trying to figure out how I could do that, but everytime I think about it, I feel like I am in over my head! I have found a couple places online where I could order Suede, Vinyl and leather, I just don't know if I would end up screwing it up more that making it better...

>>I think the place that is doing Brad's seat covers do door panel inserts as well. it was on a thread somewhere. I f no one knows,I'll try to find it.<<

If you can find it, I'll definitely check it out!
The thread is is the interior mod section. "seatcovers from mustangupholstery.com" good luck!
Old 6/5/06, 12:37 AM
Cobra Member

>>If I had the right size star screw driver to get the door handle enclosures off those would be painted too.<<

I forgot about that! It's been a while since I did that project... Sorry...

>>The thread is is the interior mod section. "seatcovers from mustangupholstery.com" good luck!<<

Thanks! I checked it out and sent off an email to TMI, so we'll see where that goes... But thanks again for pointing me in that direction... I swear, one of these days I'll get those friggin' inserts in!
Old 6/5/06, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Painting the door handle enclosures as I type this. What a royal pain the you know what to get those dang handles off. The SN95 body style was much more friendly. Oh well. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 6/5/06, 07:11 PM
GTR Member

hey Pitt, what do think about painting the lower storage area on the door? Would that be too much??
Old 6/5/06, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

>>What a royal pain the you know what to get those dang handles off<<

Actually, when I switched out my handles for the IUP handles, the first one was a pain for me, but I was able to switch out my passenger side one in about 15 minutes!

I got the paint for the switch plate today, now I just need to pull them out and paint!

Quick Reply: Painting window switch plates