05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

My (Somewhat) Unique OEM Nav Install

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/15, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor08gt
Did anyone ever get this to work
In short, yes!

In slightly longer....

I ended up using a slightly newer unit (from a 2012 Superduty pickup), and the only issues I was left with are that speed compensated volume does not work, and when I turn off the car (but the head unit is on), the GPS thinks I'm moving (so it moves my position on the map).

To get it to work, I had to connect the audio in the following sequence... Head Unit -> Audiocontrol LCQ6i Line Out Converter -> Audiocontrol 6XS Crossover -> Amps. I'm left with a bit of alternator whine / haven't really gotten it tuned just right, but also broke my ankle this summer which had a severe limiting of me driving a standard transmission.
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (8/12/17)
Old 8/12/17, 05:43 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
reviving the old thread.
I can not seen to find this canopener anymore as 4Dtech doesnt sell it anymore.
Id like to switch from an OEM DVD based nav unit to something more stable like an OEM SD card or something. Any recommendations?
Old 8/16/17, 02:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey VGM. Been a while since I popped on here. How's things in Canada? Enjoying the summer, soon to be fall? What other interesting things have you done to your S197 since we conversed last?

You know, after we did all this navigation radio stuff and such, I finally went into the 21st century and put in an Android navigational head. It is within a couple feet of spot on for the GPS. The only thing I've run into is that I go 1mph over the speed limit, the **** thing comes on and says "You are exceeding the speed limit". That gets annoying as hell sometimes. Keeps me within the speed limit, but it is irritating when you are running 75=80 mph down the road an it goes off. I need to read up on how to lower the volume on the announcements. Otherwise, I really like the set up. I liked it so much that I also put one in my lil Red F150 SB and a Windows CE based one in my blue F150. It works with the factory steering wheel controls and you don't need a controller bridge to make them work. It is all in the head. I also added the Alpine amp I listed in my other thread. They work well together.

I've kept my OEM heads, so if I ever sell anyone of the vehicles, I can keep the systems, and just put in the originals. The Androids just make things so much simpler. Bluetooth, WiFi, voice commands, it is just so much easier to use. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the factory heads, but there is so much more you can do with this newer stuff. I like the camera functions. I got the rear on, but I don't think I'm going to do the front like the back. I think I'm going to use a dash camera type and pipe it thru the head, as well as the camera. I've got a HDMI out port on the camera, so I can put that directly to the extra lead of the head itself. I just need to run the HDMI cable thru the dash top without cutting up the dash. lol
Old 8/16/17, 06:46 AM

akdoggie I have sent an emailed to your personal account. Did you recieve it?
Thanks for the reply though. I dont want to switch just yet. Want to see if I can ge this to work first.
Old 2/22/21, 08:08 AM

Still trying to get this thing to work... I bought everything I need (hopefully) but cant figure out the wiring...and this Canopener thing...
Anyone have any idea what I can do to get this to work?