05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

My (Somewhat) Unique OEM Nav Install

Old 2/10/15, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Brad,

Any updates on the CANopener for our cars?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 2/10/15, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason-

We just completed testing last night. The CANopener Harmony D now listed as "In Stock" on our site. The manual transmission vehicles are officially supported. The Automatics work, but have not undergone the same testing.

Hopefully the moderators don't slap my hand, i'm posting a direct link to mitigate any ambiguity as to which unit is appropriate for the 05-08 Mustang.
Old 2/10/15, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
What still needs to be tested for the autos?

When I get this, I need the nav unit (have it already) an amp, Sync module and the 2010-14 steering wheel with switches for nav, correct? Or is a kit coming like you have for some other vehicles?
Old 2/11/15, 07:23 AM

We offer a full kit with the navigation unit HERE. This kit will have everything needed to make it work. Should be available early next week. It will use a stick on button set for the phone and voice button. We will not offer a kit with steering wheel controls. If that is the route you would like to go, simply do not use the included stick on buttons and wire in a new steering wheel (our harnesses are designed such that you can do either factory controls or the add on control provided).

If you already have a nav unit, we offer the various parts and programming required to put your own kit together as well.

As for testing, we don't anticipate any issues. The only real difference with the automatics is that the CANopener generates the necessary wheel speed signal and we normally like to run it in several vehicles for several weeks each for testing. We have only been able to test it in one vehicle.
Old 3/6/15, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got my kit in last week, finally got around to attempting the install a couple of nights ago...

So far it's a no-go.

I wired it in the following sequence:

Car - Custom Amp / SWC Harness - CanOpener - Sync - Head Unit

The instructions weren't really clear as to what goes first...and I didn't have time to re-do it (the space behind / under my radio is quickly becoming a mess of wires & connectors)... so hoping this weekend to switch the Can Opener and Sync Harness, hoping that resolves my issue.
Old 3/7/15, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Got my kit in last week, finally got around to attempting the install a couple of nights ago...

So far it's a no-go.

I wired it in the following sequence:

Car - Custom Amp / SWC Harness - CanOpener - Sync - Head Unit

The instructions weren't really clear as to what goes first...and I didn't have time to re-do it (the space behind / under my radio is quickly becoming a mess of wires & connectors)... so hoping this weekend to switch the Can Opener and Sync Harness, hoping that resolves my issue.
What is still not working? Nav? Sync?
Old 3/8/15, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
What is still not working? Nav? Sync?
Lighting switch and I assume Nav as well.
Old 3/11/15, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Any update on this? Is 4Dtech helping out?
Old 3/11/15, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any update on this? Is 4Dtech helping out?
Never got a response either through email or on here.

Tried switching up the order to Body -> Amp Harness -> Sync -> CanOpener -> Head Unit, and it didn't work either, but that was without the motor running. (I think I'm going to need a new battery)
Old 3/15/15, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That sucks ... keep us posted, as I was about to pull the trigger on this myself.
Old 3/18/15, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Reached out to brad again... hopefully will get a response.
Old 3/19/15, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got a response back... they've given me an update file to change some settings on my head unit... not sure what settings exactly, but I sent them pictures of the head unit settings, and they responded pretty quickly with a new file.

Hopefully get it loaded up tommorow.

As an aside -- picked up a JL Stealthbox on ebay, and an audiocontrol 6XS crossover+line driver. Going to replace the the Shaker 1000 sub for complete control, what I'm hoping will be a bit more trunk space, and hopefully a lot of quality as well. I'll be running my 6x8s as high-pass, my Shelby/Kicker door subs as mid-bass, and the JL stealthbox for the real lows. All with aftermarket amplification (which isn't totally figured out).

Kinda funny, to think I spent ~$2000 on the Shaker 1000 when I bought the car originally...

Last edited by friedmaster; 3/19/15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 3/20/15, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update: Success!!!!

GPS = works. Response to interior lighting = works (dims and switches to night-time mode).

The only "odd" thing is that the backlighting buttons, which are illuminated regardless of whether or not the headlights are on. Apparently, this may be caused by my nav unit having a very old firmware version and/or issues with the unit itself... but I'm putting that on a lower priority.

Have to give special kudos to the guys at 4dtech, they seemed to make the impossible possible, and were very quick in turnaround with their communication / files.

In terms of overall opinions, I have to say, this mod isn't for the faint of heart cost-wise. There was the cost of the nav unit itself, a $100-$150 sync kit, the $350 CANopener from 4Dtech, and you will need external ampllification, either using a factory amp & t-harness ($200?), or use an aftermarket amp with your own harness, or one that 4dtech makes. Then of course there's the steering wheel.

But, I have a factory appearance, 2 USB inputs, the 3.5mm jack, bluetooth, sat radio, GPS, etc. I'll also have what I hope is a pretty wicked sounding system when it's done.

Last edited by friedmaster; 3/20/15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 3/21/15, 02:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by friedmaster
Update: Success!!!!

GPS = works. Response to interior lighting = works (dims and switches to night-time mode).

The only "odd" thing is that the backlighting buttons, which are illuminated regardless of whether or not the headlights are on. Apparently, this may be caused by my nav unit having a very old firmware version and/or issues with the unit itself... but I'm putting that on a lower priority.

Have to give special kudos to the guys at 4dtech, they seemed to make the impossible possible, and were very quick in turnaround with their communication / files.

In terms of overall opinions, I have to say, this mod isn't for the faint of heart cost-wise. There was the cost of the nav unit itself, a $100-$150 sync kit, the $350 CANopener from 4Dtech, and you will need external ampllification, either using a factory amp & t-harness ($200?), or use an aftermarket amp with your own harness, or one that 4dtech makes. Then of course there's the steering wheel.

But, I have a factory appearance, 2 USB inputs, the 3.5mm jack, bluetooth, sat radio, GPS, etc. I'll also have what I hope is a pretty wicked sounding system when it's done.
Nice. Glad you finally got it to where you wanted it. Good luck with your upgrade.
Old 3/21/15, 10:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Excellent. Does Sync work off the steering wheel button? Do all the steering wheels buttons function properly? Just wondering if resistances need to be changed at all.

DVD in motion work?
Old 3/22/15, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent. Does Sync work off the steering wheel button? Do all the steering wheels buttons function properly? Just wondering if resistances need to be changed at all.

DVD in motion work?
Sync does work from the steering wheel buttons, as do all of the radio controls. I haven't had a chance to test cruise control, but I'm hoping / don't see why that wouldn't work given that I followed akdoggie's guide.

DVD in motion I'd have to test, first step I guess would be finding a DVD??
Old 3/22/15, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I figured it would be fine as the 10-12 switches are supposed to use the same resistance values. I cam across problems when using the 13-14 switches as they changed the values in those.
Old 3/23/15, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I figured it would be fine as the 10-12 switches are supposed to use the same resistance values. I cam across problems when using the 13-14 switches as they changed the values in those.
Yeah, I didn't even bother trying to use the 13-14 switch that came with my wheel.

For your cluster upgrade (that I'm obviously interested in), you'd need to find a way to change resistances obviously.
Old 3/23/15, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I do have what the resistances need to be changed to, and have already tested it in my 12 when I was upgrading my cluster. Unfortunatley, there are functions on the switches that are not recognized by the SJB, so there will be buttons that don't do anything. I assume that is the case on the 10-12 cruise case well.
Old 8/26/15, 11:09 AM
V6 Member

Did anyone ever get this to work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My (Somewhat) Unique OEM Nav Install