05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

iTrip for iPod in the Stang

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/05, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the mall today, and bought the Grifin iPod FM transmitter. In my last stang, I had a head unit with an aux RCA cable going to my ipod. The sound was great.

I will eventually be upgrading to a new Alpine HU with their iPod control box. But in the mean time, I wanted to get my 12gb music library (all legal of course) in my stang.

The iTrip works by dialing in your stereo to any FM station that is REALLY staticy (aka no near by station is transmitting). Something unique to the iTrip (as apposed to competitors) is that you can choose ANY fm station...not just a few set.

It comes from the factory set at 87.9. If you want to choose a different station, you have to install software in to iTunes and synch your ipod. then every possible Fm station becomes a "song" in a playlist titled "iTrip". You simply choose what station on the iPod and the same station on your radio.

I didn't get to go home, so I had to use 87.9. Unfortunately, 87.9 had a faint signal....so I did get some static the closer I got to work. But in the parking lot of the mall, I got a very clean sound.

It is not as clean as using RCAs, but it is darn near close...and it can also be used on any FM radio, not just car radios btw. For $30, you can't go wrong.

I give it
Old 6/24/05, 03:26 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

oooohhhh.....aaaahhhhhh......wow!
:banana2:
thats right you only get one nanner, oh I guess you think you deserve more....you only spent $30

jk....nice....I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 6/24/05, 06:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got one and it works great. Throw the iPod, the iTrip, and the charger in the center console and still get great reception and it stays hidden.
Old 6/27/05, 04:47 PM
V6 Member

I used an iTrip with my first generation iPod for a while, and found that attaching and detaching it eventually broke the headphone jack on the iPod to the point where the iTrip wasn't usable any more. Also, the use of the iPod interface to change stations is very distracting if you need to do that while moving.

Newer iPods have a less fragile headphone connector so that is probably not a problem with newer versions. If you live in an area where you need to frequently change stations while driving, you might want to consider a product with a simpler interface.
Old 6/27/05, 10:21 PM
GT Member

My iTrip does a pretty good job (much better than the belkin transmittor) but i cant wait until iPod hook up is pretty standard (or at least optional) in most cars. Its still staticky once sometimes
Old 7/2/05, 04:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Now all you need is a Brodit Pro Clip and you can mount your pod right in the middle between the two center vent openings. Fits perfect!