05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Gentlemen start your engines!

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is nice man.
Old 5/2/05, 08:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@May 2, 2005, 5:18 PM
pittperson, what one did you end up ordering?
John,
I went with the non-illuminated ignited button (linkage). I wasn't sure if I wanted a constant light in the middle of my dash at night so I played it safe. Once the button gets here I'm going to see if I can do some minor surgery to it and scrape the "ignited" off with a razor blade.

What gauge wire did you use to wire everything up (ground, power, and ignition)?
Old 5/2/05, 08:41 PM
GT Member

Dustin - looks great, I like it.

Originally posted by AWmustang+April 30, 2005, 6:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ April 30, 2005, 6:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Sonic05@April 30, 2005, 3:03 PM
Now who's going to make a functional "Eject" button?

Now that's some video I'd REALLY like to see.
[/b][/quote]

I'd like to do the Eject button, but I think it would be better in a vert. Otherwise there could be some pain involved.

OK, vert owners lets see those eject button videos.
Old 5/2/05, 08:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by pittperson+May 2, 2005, 9:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ May 2, 2005, 9:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@May 2, 2005, 5:18 PM
John,
I went with the non-illuminated ignited button (linkage). I wasn't sure if I wanted a constant light in the middle of my dash at night so I played it safe. Once the button gets here I'm going to see if I can do some minor surgery to it and scrape the "ignited" off with a razor blade.

What gauge wire did you use to wire everything up (ground, power, and ignition)?
[/b][/quote]

Good luck w/ the surgery. Take your time and do it right, don't be in a hurry. You might want to see if you can contact Conduct-Tite and see if you can buy one of theirs that don't have the logo on it. I honestly don't know what gauge wire I used. All my connections were short (I didn't run to the fuse box) so I used a bunch of scrap wire I had laying around from past projects. I just made sure it was the same size or larger than the starter wire inside the steering column.

This might be too late, but you can always buy the lighted model and take the bulb out if you don't want the distraction. I put mine on the dimmer switch for the dash lights. Good luck w/ your install.

Dustin and others... Has anyone figured out the right way to remove the cigar lighter? I cut, picked, and pried mine out.
Old 5/2/05, 09:13 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.+May 2, 2005, 10:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ May 2, 2005, 10:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by pittperson@May 2, 2005, 9:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.
@May 2, 2005, 5:18 PM

John,

Good luck w/ the surgery. Take your time and do it right, don't be in a hurry. You might want to see if you can contact Conduct-Tite and see if you can buy one of theirs that don't have the logo on it. I honestly don't know what gauge wire I used. All my connections were short (I didn't run to the fuse box) so I used a bunch of scrap wire I had laying around from past projects. I just made sure it was the same size or larger than the starter wire inside the steering column.

This might be too late, but you can always buy the lighted model and take the bulb out if you don't want the distraction. I put mine on the dimmer switch for the dash lights. Good luck w/ your install.

Dustin and others... Has anyone figured out the right way to remove the cigar lighter? I cut, picked, and pried mine out.
[/b][/quote]

The wire I used was a 24 AWG 3-conductor wire. Real small, again only 1 AMP. If I were you I would use something bigger, just because. This was just wire I had laying around.

The lighter socket is held in with 2 big plastic tabs. I just bent them out of the way and the socket easily came out.
Old 5/6/05, 02:07 PM

I agree that it's pointless to have a start button that still requires a key, but I also agree that the START button is pretty cool!

IF someone could figure out a way to wire it so you could start the car without the key, you could also install a hidden "kill switch" to prevent theft.

If you have an aftermarket alarm system installed, the installer should be able to install a kill-switch for you at the same time since he's going to have a lot of wires exposed while installing the alarm. I would only suggest that you keep the location of your kill-switch a secret ... even from your wife!
Old 5/6/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

You have to have the key in the run postion to steer(unlock steerig wheel) the car anyways. So what is the defference between turning the key to the run position and flipping a toggle (kill) switch. Now I am all about having kill switches, but think about it.
Old 5/6/05, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Even cars with ignition buttons have a key of some kind. Sometimes they are electronic (proximity) keys. The GT uses a regular key. The Aston and (I think) the S2000 use electronic keys. The Toyota Prius can do either.

Either way, I think not having a key is a bad idea.

Also, Ford left a trunk release out for security reasons. It keeps the trunk a more secure place to put stuff. You can't just slim-jim in and press the trunk button. You actually have to bust the lock to get in without the fob. If I had a coupe I probably would be interested in putting in a trunk button, but I actually like not having it on the vert.

BTW: Nicely done Dustin and John. Your start buttons rock.
Old 5/6/05, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by moze@May 6, 2005, 2:36 PM
Even cars with ignition buttons have a key of some kind. Sometimes they are electronic (proximity) keys. The GT uses a regular key. The Aston and (I think) the S2000 use electronic keys. The Toyota Prius can do either.

Also, Ford left a trunk release out for security reasons. It keeps the trunk a more secure place to put stuff. You can't just slim-jim in and press the trunk button. You actually have to bust the lock to get in without the fob. If I had a coupe I probably would be interested in putting in a trunk button, but I actually like not having it on the vert.

Yea, thats the same kinda push start button you would find on a semi truck. you turn the key switch on and push the starter button to start the engine on a tractor. you might be able to find a simaler button at a truck stop. I'm not shure, but I know you could contact a mack, peterbuilt or freightliner dealer only thing. parts for semis are expensive. so your idea is probly better.
Old 5/6/05, 03:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by moze@May 6, 2005, 3:36 PM

Thanks, you're right about the start button. I have to disagree with you on the trunk button though. In my opinion, it's not there due to Ford trying to save a little bit of cost. If it was security, the rear seats would require a key (like my wife's Honda) to fold down, rather than just the pull tab.
Old 5/7/05, 03:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok, I'm looking at the ignited install PDF (Link). Optionally, you can wire the button up to the e-break light power to cut the power to the button when the e-break is off. Anyone know where the power to the e-break is?

Also, as I'm not an electrician nor do I pretend to be one. Do I need to hook both 1 and 4 into a 12v power source no matter what? Or just if I want the anti-grind feature?
Old 5/7/05, 03:57 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

I couldn't answer that for you.
Old 5/7/05, 04:13 PM
I lust for a M24

Me either man, no idea where to even start looking. I didn't notice any wires going to the ebrake when I had the console off, but I wasn't looking either. Good luck.