05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Don't Want to Remove the Doors...

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/07, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't Want to Remove the Doors...

I've made modifications to my rear deck for 6x9's and my amp. Not too bad after you remove the whole backend interior of the car.

I thought the door speakers would be an easy swap. Unfortunatly, I want to run new speaker wire and there is no room to fit it through the stock opening. I could take the doors off and drill some holes, but I'd rather not. Any suggestions?
Old 8/8/07, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

Wires will fit through the opening, unless they've changed it from '06 to '07. I have 3 runs of 12ag Knuconceptz running into mine. It wasn't easy, but it can be done. The hard part is the Chinese acrobat flexibility you need to get to the pass-through hole beneath the dash.
Old 8/8/07, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

07 Door Wiring

Originally Posted by Infinity
Wires will fit through the opening, unless they've changed it from '06 to '07. I have 3 runs of 12ag Knuconceptz running into mine. It wasn't easy, but it can be done. The hard part is the Chinese acrobat flexibility you need to get to the pass-through hole beneath the dash.
It seem as if the 07 might be a bit different. There is a connector that fills the entire area where the wires go in. I've not tried to disconnect this, but it does not look like I can get any wire in there.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

The rear deck is different, as you probably already know. You have to take out the panels under the quarter window to get the back carpet out. The speakers are set in the rear deck.
Old 8/8/07, 11:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

that is how mine is, hel i just stuck to 6x8 pioneer 3ways and even those were hard to put in, back windsheild angle sucks
Old 8/9/07, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hessian
It seem as if the 07 might be a bit different. There is a connector that fills the entire area where the wires go in. I've not tried to disconnect this, but it does not look like I can get any wire in there.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

The rear deck is different, as you probably already know. You have to take out the panels under the quarter window to get the back carpet out. The speakers are set in the rear deck.

The connector is a 2 piece thing that you can separate, but for the life of me I cannot remember how. One apart, the wires can run through, but the 2 parts will not re connect. It doesn't hurt anything as it is all still sealed and tight to the car.

It seems like you have to pull the boot, then theres a tiny little "notch" that you can trigger with a screwdriver, along with one on the inside that you can reach up and feel. It sits higher than you'd imagine behind the dash. Drop the glovebox down to allow some visibility. To do that, just press in on the rear and it will slide right past the stops and swing freely. You should see the antenna wire and some various "stuff, but look through the hole toward sthe kickpanel and you'll eventually find the plug. I used the aid of a "miner's" head mounted light.
Old 8/12/07, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I wish I could remember the instructions to seperate that piece but from what I remember, seperating it wasn't the problem, it's trying to get the dang thing back together once you've done what you need to. I think you just need to pop a tab on the top & bottom of it to seperate it. If I remember correctly, I used an old rear brake drum adjuster I had in my tool box which is kinda like an angled flat head screwdriver.

I've got an '05 and from the sounds of it, it's still going to be the same pain in the ****. Good luck and be sure to run whatever wires you think you're going to want so it's done only once. I wish I ran a second set of wires cause I would have liked to change my 8" subs in the door but I don't think I'm going to put myself through it again.
Old 8/12/07, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Door Off (Just one)

I decided to take one for the team and remove the doors. After removing the door. PITA! I tried to take out the connector and/or look for a place to drill a hole. Thing is, I found out that there is a place to run wires through at the top of the connector. Probably a diagram somewhere that shows that. I was mad and relieved at the same time (I would not have to take off the other door).

Anyways I ran the wire on the pass side and all was good. The drivers side was a bit of a pain because I had to take out one of the sub amps to get to the wire I ran.

Just putting things back together today. Still tweeking the sound from my car pc.

Here is a picture of the connector.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imag...f9bda74dba.jpg

Here is the work log for my car pc. I'll update it in a few days with new pics:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...g-install.html