05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Brighter map lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/07, 02:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree. I didn't have much time on my hands to do all this testing until recently. What you said about the stock incandescent bulbs drawing current when "OFF" is what got me motivated to really look into it..
Old 10/1/07, 05:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Test drive report: It was a tad disconcerting to see the LEDs glow dimly while I drove in the dark, but the instrument panel lighting is going to overpower that dim glow.

I've also swapped out the trunk light (which is also tied into the low current board of the SJB). The blue LEDs I bought from VLEDs on eBay glow blue and almost purple. I suppose it's not surprising since I can see fluorescents "glowing" under the blue light, so there's a lot of UV light being projected as well.

If you hit the trunk button, it will cause the map light LEDs to dimly glow as well. The SJB probably "wakes up" when it detects user activity and goes to "sleep" after X minutes.
Old 10/2/07, 09:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which fogs come on for 10 seconds when you unlock your car? the round lights in the grille or the amber clearance lights on the corners?
Old 10/3/07, 02:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fog lights are the ones in the center of the grille. The amber lights are turn signals/parking lights.
Old 10/3/07, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by presto
Which fogs come on for 10 seconds when you unlock your car? the round lights in the grille or the amber clearance lights on the corners?
They come on for like 30 seconds. I was just saying 10 seconds because they turn off once you get in the car or start the car (I forget which).

If you have a V6, you won't have fogs unless you have the Pony Package, I think.
Attached Thumbnails Brighter map lights?-whatarefogs.jpg  
Old 10/3/07, 09:43 AM
V6 Member

Is this an new thing for 2008? My 06 GT only turns on the map lights. The fogs coming on would be nice at night.
Old 10/3/07, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's enabled by default. I disabled it after I read the owner's manual.
Old 10/3/07, 09:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think the lights coming on started in MY 07.
Old 10/6/07, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I checked the battery voltage after using the LEDs for 1 week and did not see a voltage drop. In fact, the air temp was only about 10F warmer but the battery voltage was almost 0.15VDC higher. I'd say these LEDs won't cause any problems with our S197s.

These should fit the overhead console nicely and don't cost a whole lot:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-HID...2146QQtcZphoto
Old 10/6/07, 07:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Are you sure those are the right size and all that?

Originally Posted by metroplex
I checked the battery voltage after using the LEDs for 1 week and did not see a voltage drop. In fact, the air temp was only about 10F warmer but the battery voltage was almost 0.15VDC higher. I'd say these LEDs won't cause any problems with our S197s.

Old 10/6/07, 08:27 PM

Are you getting these? Post pics if you do. I already invested $25 in the first eBay ones mentioned on this thread, but I'll upgrade if they're even better..
Old 10/6/07, 09:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm going to order the blue versions of these.

I'm currently using 194 LEDs that are just forward firing LEDs. It's bright enough but I had to pull them from my other car since the flanked 194 LEDs I bought weren't aimed quite right for our overhead console.

If you already have LEDs, you might as well just keep them because they should all work the same. The SJB is the thing that is controlling the power source for the overhead lights.
Old 10/7/07, 08:14 AM

Would these LEDs have the dim light thing going on with them too?

I'd still be a little concerned that it would run down my battery........

I'm currently using 194 LEDs that are just forward firing LEDs. It's bright enough but I had to pull them from my other car since the flanked 194 LEDs I bought weren't aimed quite right for our overhead console.

If you already have LEDs, you might as well just keep them because they should all work the same. The SJB is the thing that is controlling the power source for the overhead lights.
Old 10/7/07, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have an led flashlight that will run for over 24 hours with 2 C batteries. I'm not worried about 2 led bulbs that are barely visible draining a battery that is about 100 times bigger.
Old 10/10/07, 05:37 AM

Well, I got an E-mail from Unjustified Motorsports last night telling me they gave me a $20 creidt on the LED lights that I sent back to them. They acted liked they were doing me a favor since they said that normally E-bay sales are final.....

Anyways, I ordered some of the blue version of the one just above. The $10 one. The dash lighths in my car are set up to be blue, so blue LED dome lights should be cool!

But the dome lights do turn off even if they are dimly lite at first right?

Old 10/10/07, 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I noticed that there's enough room in our overhead consoles to run the 9 SMT LED version had they made a blue version. I should receive my blue 5-SMT LEDs this weekend, so I can see for sure if the 9-SMT LEDs would fit (for those that want amber or white versions). And yes, they do ultimately shut off after 30+ minutes. My battery voltage was very good after 1 week using the car normally.
Old 10/10/07, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Falchion
Well, I got an E-mail from Unjustified Motorsports last night telling me they gave me a $20 creidt on the LED lights that I sent back to them. They acted liked they were doing me a favor since they said that normally E-bay sales are final.....

Anyways, I ordered some of the blue version of the one just above. The $10 one. The dash lighths in my car are set up to be blue, so blue LED dome lights should be cool!

But the dome lights do turn off even if they are dimly lite at first right?
They're actually pretty nice people.. I told them about our issue and showed them this thread, and explained to them how I lost one LED in the nooks and crannies of my car trying to test voltages/currents... and how "it's lost forever." Now they're sending a replacement free of charge..
Old 10/10/07, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I guess they're not too bad if they gave me a refund?

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
They're actually pretty nice people.. I told them about our issue and showed them this thread, and explained to them how I lost one LED in the nooks and crannies of my car trying to test voltages/currents... and how "it's lost forever." Now they're sending a replacement free of charge..
Old 10/10/07, 12:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchion
Yeah, I guess they're not too bad if they gave me a refund?
But they didn't give you a FULL refund!

Ah, well...

Update on mine: Due to my laziness I still haven't gotten around to yanking them and going back to stock incandescent bulbs.

I can say that they do NOT wear down the battery, even after leaving the car parked for several days with no activity. The dim glow is hardly noticeable unless you are actively looking for it. All in all I guess it isn't a bad mod, I just wish the light was a bit brighter than it is.
Old 10/10/07, 12:50 PM

You have a point. It sent back a couple of things where they gave me a full refund and included the shipping too!

Thanks for the info. I think the new LED's will be brighter then the old ones!

Originally Posted by mrkabc
But they didn't give you a FULL refund!

Ah, well...

Update on mine: Due to my laziness I still haven't gotten around to yanking them and going back to stock incandescent bulbs.

I can say that they do NOT wear down the battery, even after leaving the car parked for several days with no activity. The dim glow is hardly noticeable unless you are actively looking for it. All in all I guess it isn't a bad mod, I just wish the light was a bit brighter than it is.

Quick Reply: Brighter map lights?