05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Brighter map lights?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/07, 08:05 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've given up on LED dome lights.

I don't have the time or money to fool around more then I already did!
Old 9/23/07, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I blame Ford for designing the SJB to do what it does. I don't see any reason to keep supply 9.75 VDC to the trunk and dome lights even when they are OFF.
Old 9/23/07, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
I blame Ford for designing the SJB to do what it does. I don't see any reason to keep supply 9.75 VDC to the trunk and dome lights even when they are OFF.
That is kind of a wierd deal. All I know is that what should have been an easy thing turned out to be a pain in the rear!

I think I'm about done with mods for a while. I had a couple of other things happen like this. Not fun!

I thnk the mods have worn me out for a while.......
Old 9/23/07, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I get 0V DC when my lights are off. When are you guys getting 9.75?

I tested it with the car on and the lights off and with the car off and the lights off..
Old 9/23/07, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Stick a voltmeter across your trunk light contacts. It should read 12-13 VDC when the light is visibly ON. Push down on the trunk switch (the accordion boot thing) so the light turns OFF. Read off the voltage across the bulb.

On my 07 GT, it reads 9.75 VDC when the light is OFF. At this voltage, the LEDs will light up very dimly.
Old 9/24/07, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Stick a voltmeter across your trunk light contacts. It should read 12-13 VDC when the light is visibly ON. Push down on the trunk switch (the accordion boot thing) so the light turns OFF. Read off the voltage across the bulb.

On my 07 GT, it reads 9.75 VDC when the light is OFF. At this voltage, the LEDs will light up very dimly.
I was talking about the map lights. Did you mention microamp currents through the map lights? or maybe I'm just confused.
Old 9/24/07, 08:06 AM

I think he meant both. The trunck and the domes.......

I know my dome lights were doing the same thing.....

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I was talking about the map lights. Did you mention microamp currents through the map lights? or maybe I'm just confused.
Old 9/24/07, 10:53 PM

Hey guys, I found out some things:

The LED map lights DO stay on slightly dimly when they're supposedly off, but they turn off after a while. When I step out of the car and lock it up, I can see that they're glowing slightly. When I get back to the car after 30 min or so, the map lights are totally off. I think this is a feature that has to do with how the lights slowly dim as they turn off. I'm pretty sure this will NOT drain your batteries, because the lights do eventually turn off completely. (And I also believe your regular lights are receiving this microvoltage for a few minutes before they turn off completely too, but your stock bulbs are just not efficient enough to produce light at those low voltages)

The LED map lights are fine, don't return them... (Please feel free to correct me if anyone finds out otherwise!)
Old 9/25/07, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I put my bulbs in on a monday, did not touch the car until saturday and they were still "on". I would return them too but I'm sure the company will not accept them.
Old 9/25/07, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheRealOne
I put my bulbs in on a monday, did not touch the car until saturday and they were still "on". I would return them too but I'm sure the company will not accept them.
Were they on when you looked through the window? Or after getting in the car and closing the door?
Old 9/25/07, 08:10 AM

Too late, I already returned mine..........

Hey guys, I found out some things:

The LED map lights DO stay on slightly dimly when they're supposedly off, but they turn off after a while. When I step out of the car and lock it up, I can see that they're glowing slightly. When I get back to the car after 30 min or so, the map lights are totally off. I think this is a feature that has to do with how the lights slowly dim as they turn off. I'm pretty sure this will NOT drain your batteries, because the lights do eventually turn off completely. (And I also believe your regular lights are receiving this microvoltage for a few minutes before they turn off completely too, but your stock bulbs are just not efficient enough to produce light at those low voltages)

The LED map lights are fine, don't return them... (Please feel free to correct me if anyone finds out otherwise!)
Old 9/25/07, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I checked and they remained ON for 15+ minutes. I even wired my radar detector to the overhead console as per instructions on TMS. They don't shut off within 10-15 minutes. The SJB is supposed to cut power to accessories after such a period of time.

Regardless of which, I do not like or want my LEDs to glow dimly for 30 minutes while I am driving.
Old 9/25/07, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I still have mine installed in the car - I intend to remove them and toss them in a drawer. Maybe I'll find a use for them down the road for something else. I am not going to return mine.

However, I don't like my lights to be glowing dimly, AND... I just wasn't impressed with the amount of light the LEDs put out. The stock bulbs were better IMO.

I'm just going to chalk it up to "lesson learned" and go from there.
Old 9/25/07, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

If any of you want to sell your LEDs instead of trashing them, I'll buy a pair for $5. What the hell, maybe I'll get lucky and they won't glow.
Old 9/25/07, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Were they on when you looked through the window? Or after getting in the car and closing the door?

When I looked thru the door. The car did start up right away too I just don't like the idea of them being "on"
Old 9/25/07, 12:48 PM

That's what I was concerned about. Come back to your new car with a sweet dead battery!

Originally Posted by TheRealOne
When I looked thru the door. The car did start up right away too I just don't like the idea of them being "on"
Old 9/25/07, 01:46 PM

Ok, I'll be a guinea pig. I'm going to leave these guys in until:
1) battery dies
or
2) I see the same problem as TheRealOne, where my map lights are constantly on after I have left the car sitting for over 30 min. and have not touched the keyfob/etc.

I'll let you guys know.
Old 9/25/07, 02:41 PM

OK, better bring one of those jump start battery deals with you......

Ok, I'll be a guinea pig. I'm going to leave these guys in until:
1) battery dies
or
2) I see the same problem as TheRealOne, where my map lights are constantly on after I have left the car sitting for over 30 min. and have not touched the keyfob/etc.

I'll let you guys know.
Old 9/26/07, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Pardon my ignorance as I'm pretty godd at deciphering TLAs, what is SJB?
Old 9/26/07, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by citizen arcane
Pardon my ignorance as I'm pretty godd at deciphering TLAs, what is SJB?
Smart Junction Box. It's Ford's centralized switching apparatus to avoid the mega-mega wiring looms that would be required for today's wired cars.

Quick Reply: Brighter map lights?