05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Brighter map lights?

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/07, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The LED replacements have a specific polarity. If they don't turn on at first, flip them around in the same socket.
Old 9/14/07, 12:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doh!

Small wonder!

Man, I can't even change a lightblub the right way!

Originally Posted by metroplex
The LED replacements have a specific polarity. If they don't turn on at first, flip them around in the same socket.
Old 9/14/07, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get a pic of what the actual led's look like before install
Old 9/14/07, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I've got a pic at home, forgot to post in my original writeup. When I get home from work I'll post.
Old 9/14/07, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, it sucks to hear the negatives about the LED replacements. Looks like I'll just keep the stock bulbs... I can't afford to have my battery get drained and not have the car start, and if there really isn't THAT much more light thrown by the LEDs, what's the point?

Blah.
Old 9/14/07, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys, I was hoping these might work for everyone. I yanked mine the next day as well. Sorry
Old 9/15/07, 01:01 PM

Mine seems to still be working OK. I checked it last night in the garage to see if they were dimly on like reported. But, it was pitch black in there. No lite LED's for me!

I still think the pricce for something like this is kind of high! $10 would be more like it!

Originally Posted by ShowGT
Sorry guys, I was hoping these might work for everyone. I yanked mine the next day as well. Sorry
Old 9/16/07, 12:37 AM
Cobra Member

i just installed these yesterday.. at night they are MUCH brighter than stock .. i mean ALOT .. i dont know what you guys are talking about

and they shut off all the way
Old 9/16/07, 09:28 AM

Well, they seem brighter on mine as well. But, some of the other guys had some issues with them. I don't seem to have those issues, it's just that $25 for a couple of light blubs, even though they're LED's seemed a little high.........

Originally Posted by jcopin
i just installed these yesterday.. at night they are MUCH brighter than stock .. i mean ALOT .. i dont know what you guys are talking about

and they shut off all the way
Old 9/16/07, 06:35 PM

I ordered the $25 LEDs as well. Haven't installed them yet, but here's what I have to say:

If your LEDs are slightly on all the time, I don't think the LEDs are to blame. The stock bulbs are probably also constantly drawing the microamp currents that metroplex reported, but they just don't glow at all from the very low levels of current. I would guess that the LEDs are just more efficient light producers and create light at lower power..
Old 9/17/07, 08:15 AM

I haven't noticed mine being on yet. The car starts up just fine.

I did notice the extra light frm the domes this morning. It's also a very white light that kind of matches the HID's that I got. Kind of cool in that respect......

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I ordered the $25 LEDs as well. Haven't installed them yet, but here's what I have to say:

If your LEDs are slightly on all the time, I don't think the LEDs are to blame. The stock bulbs are probably also constantly drawing the microamp currents that metroplex reported, but they just don't glow at all from the very low levels of current. I would guess that the LEDs are just more efficient light producers and create light at lower power..
Old 9/17/07, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

So the ambient lighting package would be illegal in VA?
I've been wondering about that too. I'll have to track down a copy of the actual law, but I know it's something like...it's illegal to have an illuminated undercarriage of any color, or interior lighting other than white. It's part of the VA law section concerning distractions.

If the designer of the interior lights of our cars lived in the current era, they'd have installed the lights using LED's tied to the onboard computer, so they could be controlled using the MyColor dashboard feature. They it would be simple to change their color, too. Not to mention that you could have them set to white while the car was in motion, and a custom color for all other circumstances (like when unlocking the car). It's so painfully easy and cheap to do. It's not like LED technology is rocket science. Unfortunately, even though I could probably mount and wire-up a set of color-changing LED's in the interior lights, I don't think the computer is programmed for that level of operation. In other words, there is probably only one command for turning on the overhead lights, whether you press the button or unlock the car.
Old 9/17/07, 08:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I checked MI laws and it looks like as long as we don't have blue lights on the exterior, or blue lights that are wig-wags, rotating, or flashing, we're OK.
Old 9/17/07, 10:59 AM

That's kind of a neat idea. Changing the dome light LEDs with the MyColor feature.

I'm not sure Ford will do that, but who knows, maybe?

Originally Posted by Arrow
I've been wondering about that too. I'll have to track down a copy of the actual law, but I know it's something like...it's illegal to have an illuminated undercarriage of any color, or interior lighting other than white. It's part of the VA law section concerning distractions.

If the designer of the interior lights of our cars lived in the current era, they'd have installed the lights using LED's tied to the onboard computer, so they could be controlled using the MyColor dashboard feature. They it would be simple to change their color, too. Not to mention that you could have them set to white while the car was in motion, and a custom color for all other circumstances (like when unlocking the car). It's so painfully easy and cheap to do. It's not like LED technology is rocket science. Unfortunately, even though I could probably mount and wire-up a set of color-changing LED's in the interior lights, I don't think the computer is programmed for that level of operation. In other words, there is probably only one command for turning on the overhead lights, whether you press the button or unlock the car.
Old 9/17/07, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I've got a pic at home, forgot to post in my original writeup. When I get home from work I'll post.

Still waiting patiently
Old 9/17/07, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Fun Fact: The Corvette uses OLEDs in the instrument cluster... Organic Light Emitting Devices.
Old 9/17/07, 12:59 PM

Yeah, there's a place that makes 2 1/16" gauges that use that. The resolution is so good, you ca display pictures, kind of like a mini TV screen!

A set of these would be very cool in a Mustang!

Here's a link.........

http://www.plxdevices.com/

Fun Fact: The Corvette uses OLEDs in the instrument cluster... Organic Light Emitting Devices.
Old 9/17/07, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just did the LED swap as well and noticed the LEDs remained "ON".

I should have done this earlier, but I checked the voltage with the trunk light "OFF" and the SJB is still supplying 9.75V

The GT can't use LEDs unless the LEDs are designed to shut off below 10 VDC. Otherwise, they will burn dimly at 9.75 VDC
Old 9/17/07, 03:22 PM

Mine don't seem to be burning, at least that I can tell?

Mine stayed on at first, but I pushed the dome light switch, and it went off, and stayed off except when I open the door.

I just did the LED swap as well and noticed the LEDs remained "ON".

I should have done this earlier, but I checked the voltage with the trunk light "OFF" and the SJB is still supplying 9.75V

The GT can't use LEDs unless the LEDs are designed to shut off below 10 VDC. Otherwise, they will burn dimly at 9.75 VDC
Old 9/17/07, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Falchion
Mine don't seem to be burning, at least that I can tell?

Mine stayed on at first, but I pushed the dome light switch, and it went off, and stayed off except when I open the door.
How are you checking the light? Check it when it is pitch black outside with no ambient light. If you try to check it in the sunlight, it won't show up.

Better you, get a DMM or a voltmeter and run the leads across the contacts. I found 9.75 VDC on the trunk contacts when the trunk switch was closed.

Quick Reply: Brighter map lights?