05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/16, 12:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SMac
Thanks for the help guys. Here's an update. After doing all the troubleshooting I could possibly think of.
I contacted Raxiom and long story short found myself finally talking to the manufacturer of the unit, Rosen Electronics. They did some troubleshooting with me and finally concluded it must be a faulty unit. They spoke to American Muscle for me and arranged it so I didn't have to return the unit in it's entirety. They even negotiated a way for AM to send me a new unit FIRST so I could just swap heads and not have to go without for several days. The result....a unit that now has better reception than my stock Shaker unit. I even have FM HD along with all of the other bells and whistles.
It was a long and arduous road but at least it worked out in the end. Thanks again for the input.

Glad to hear! Enjoy the unit, it's awesome!
Old 5/31/16, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Slight thread hijack. is there an easy way to consolidate all 9 pages into one document with pictures included? The tool to display the printable version seems to remove the pics...
Old 6/1/16, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
here you go

I just made it into a pdf for you. Hope that is what you wanted.
Old 6/1/16, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I just made it into a pdf for you. Hope that is what you wanted.
Thanks for taking the time. It seems incomplete though, and may not have grabbed every part of the thread. Not sure I've seen a structured way to grab long threads like this and make them easy to read. The one item under Thread Tools still looks like the only viable option.
Old 6/4/16, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just went ahead and printed the entire thread using the thread tools, marked up the appropriate sections, and will open the box today and walk through the parts. Here we go... I'll hit up a local car stereo shop to look at speaker options later...
Old 6/6/16, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've got the car audio tech calling me: EVERYTHING works on the system except the radio tuner. With the stock Shaker1000, it picks up radio fine, with the Raxiom system using the antenna adaptor, not a sound comes through the radio.
Tech thinks either antenna adaptor or the tuner itself is hosed. Any thoughts?
Old 6/8/16, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwgroovin
I've got the car audio tech calling me: EVERYTHING works on the system except the radio tuner. With the stock Shaker1000, it picks up radio fine, with the Raxiom system using the antenna adaptor, not a sound comes through the radio.
Tech thinks either antenna adaptor or the tuner itself is hosed. Any thoughts?

My AM/FM reception has been nearly non-existant from the beginning. I put it down to living way out in the sticks and using an aftermarket "shorty" antenna. A couple of times while running through channels in the AM/FM mode, I've heard very faint results on some radio channels. Now, after reading posts about others having AM/FM reception problems, I'm beginning to think that there may be a problem with the radio tuner, rather than my location and the antenna. I guess I need to put the stock antenna back on at some point and see what results I get....or don't get...with it installed. It's not really been an issue with me, as the Sirius XM works perfectly and it's in use 95% of time I'm in the car. I'm not sure that for me, it would even be worth the effort and hassle of taking out the Raxiom unit and putting in a new one, just to get the AM/FM reception.......though it would be nice to know that every function that I paid for, was working properly and as it should be. If I get around to putting the stock antenna back on, I'll post any results....or lack of....that I get.
Old 6/8/16, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

The tech said let's check the antenna adapter first. Rosen tech support said ~20 calls a month require a new adapter, it might be quality control. He said very few tuners across the line are defective, especially if all other parts of the unit are working fine. One thing is that the antenna plug on the unit has a central wire similar to that seen in a male coax cable--make sure it didn't get bent trying to put in the antenna adapter.

We tried a regular antenna with the unit, still no reception by the way. I've got a new adapter coming, I'll try that. If that is the problem, I'll work with Rosen and AM to get a new head unit shipped, then I'll put the bad one in the box and return it. I'm not dismantling the entire install because of one defective part!!!

Other than the radio, I am REALLY pleased with the unit.

John
Old 6/8/16, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Sabre
My AM/FM reception has been nearly non-existant from the beginning. I put it down to living way out in the sticks and using an aftermarket "shorty" antenna. A couple of times while running through channels in the AM/FM mode, I've heard very faint results on some radio channels. Now, after reading posts about others having AM/FM reception problems, I'm beginning to think that there may be a problem with the radio tuner, rather than my location and the antenna. I guess I need to put the stock antenna back on at some point and see what results I get....or don't get...with it installed. It's not really been an issue with me, as the Sirius XM works perfectly and it's in use 95% of time I'm in the car. I'm not sure that for me, it would even be worth the effort and hassle of taking out the Raxiom unit and putting in a new one, just to get the AM/FM reception.......though it would be nice to know that every function that I paid for, was working properly and as it should be. If I get around to putting the stock antenna back on, I'll post any results....or lack of....that I get.
Note we got reception if we manually pushed the antenna adapter real hard onto the back of the unit's connector. If released we got static. Push it together, reception. So we think the adapter is bad. Might be worth trying, and just ensure the pin inside the antenna adapter receptacle in the unit isn't bent.
The following users liked this post:
Sabre (6/9/16)
Old 6/9/16, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jwgroovin
Note we got reception if we manually pushed the antenna adapter real hard onto the back of the unit's connector. If released we got static. Push it together, reception. So we think the adapter is bad. Might be worth trying, and just ensure the pin inside the antenna adapter receptacle in the unit isn't bent.

When I get some time I think I will, at the very least, take off the center stack side panels and see if I can "root around" in there a little. Perhaps the adapter is the culprit and maybe I can either confirm or deny that it is the problem. It is very possible with the huge snake of wires that had to be pushed into the stack as the unit when back in, that something got pulled apart, loosened or misaligned. Thanks for all the info!
Old 6/10/16, 08:12 AM

Are you experiencing the same low hum that mrkabc mentioned?
Old 6/12/16, 06:03 AM

Installation Complete!!!

Hey All,
Installed the Raxiom unit in my 2005 mustang GT Vert over the last week..... I'm a novice at this and it took me about 3 days to do the work, I'd guess I put about 8 total hours in. The directions are awful as it has been mentioned 1000+ times on this forum. THANK GOD for all of Mrkabc and Sabres posts and detailed instructions. THANKS GUYS!!!!! I was experiencing the same low hum that mrkabc mentioned but it seemed to go away on its own and hasn't returned. Also I never had to hook up the green wire associated with the NAV.

ISSUES...
- the back up camera NO SIGNAL delay when shifting into reverse
- when using the NAV and listening to the radio I can barely hear the NAV voice when it gives instructions....Any ideas???

Other then that the unit looks and operates great. Excellent upgrade to my 05 Stang!!!!!
Old 6/13/16, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Schreibs
Hey All,
Installed the Raxiom unit in my 2005 mustang GT Vert over the last week..... I'm a novice at this and it took me about 3 days to do the work, I'd guess I put about 8 total hours in. The directions are awful as it has been mentioned 1000+ times on this forum. THANK GOD for all of Mrkabc and Sabres posts and detailed instructions. THANKS GUYS!!!!! I was experiencing the same low hum that mrkabc mentioned but it seemed to go away on its own and hasn't returned. Also I never had to hook up the green wire associated with the NAV.

ISSUES...
- the back up camera NO SIGNAL delay when shifting into reverse
- when using the NAV and listening to the radio I can barely hear the NAV voice when it gives instructions....Any ideas???

Other then that the unit looks and operates great. Excellent upgrade to my 05 Stang!!!!!

I can help you with the navigation voice volume. I had the same problem and tried looking forever in the settings to increase the nav voice. The solution turns out be pretty simple. Just use the on/off volume ****. When the voice speaks, use the volume **** to increase or decrease the voice volume. It will stay the same from then on...until you change it again. But, you can only change the volume while it's speaking.
Old 6/17/16, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I need to say a little about American Muscle customer service. Two weeks ago, I discovered my unit would not play radio, just static. Everything else worked fine. I called Rosen/Raxiom, who said it's either the antenna cable adapter or the unit itself. One week later, despite promises from Rosen, I never received and still haven't received a replacement adapter. Last Sunday I emailed Alex, our forum AM rep, with the issue. Today, I have fixed the issue. Alex sent me an entire new unit sight unseen, an RMA#, and a return UPS label. The replacement antenna adapter, perhaps a $10 part, was all that was needed to get this system working 100%. Alex took care of everything, got me a replacement unit fast, and held my **** hand the entire way.

Customer service? Let's just say above and beyond. Alex is the man American Muscle, this is a stellar employee delivering stellar customer service. Thank you so much. Now, time to get my bird in the air and listen to some jamming tunes on 100.7 Rock in Westminster MD. See ya!
Old 7/4/16, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by LON3WOLF
By the way, can anyone tell me if you've ever used the SD card to listen to music through the system? I am currently going back and forth with American Muscle about this. I loaded my microSD card with music and the system can't even acknowledge that I have a card inserted (the SD card indicator on screen is grayed out). I was told my AM that the card is only used to update the firmware or update maps. That sounds off to me. I thought I can simply load it up with mp3's and be on my way.

Please let me know as I'm ready to return this whole unit to them if it turns out that I have a bad SD reader. Thanks!
if no one has answered this yet. format your card to FAT32. NTFS is not supported. I'm using a FAT32 32gig SDcard with 200+ albums and it works fine.
my only complaint is the album art doesn't show up. this same card connected to media player on my pc hasall the album art showing.
dt
Old 7/18/16, 10:55 AM

has any one figured out how to get the album art to show when using the sd card?

i have tried several image formats and image sizes, with no success..

br,
dt
The following users liked this post:
osugrad85 (7/19/16)
Old 7/21/16, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Schreibs
Are you experiencing the same low hum that mrkabc mentioned?

The hum was a bad head unit. About 2 months ago, the screen started going crazy on its own when it map mode, as if someone was poking the screen on the right hand side.

A phone call to AM and Rosen, both decided that it was a bad screen and the HU needed to be replaced. AM sent me a new one and I swapped out the HU and presto! No more hum!

So far so good with the new HU! 1.5 years in now with this Raxiom unit and I am still very happy with it.

P.S., thank you Schreibs! Glad that Sabre and I were able to help. You would think by now Raxiom would "borrow" the instructions on this forum and update their manual, right? Right? Right??
Old 7/30/16, 07:48 PM

Installed this unit a couple of weeks ago and instantly fell in love with it. After about an 8 hour install (with the help of you guys on here)the unit turned on, camera worked great, navigation, mic, bluetooth all worked the way it should. I was bragging to everyone how great this thing was.....

Well unfortunately a couple of days ago I did hear humming for the 1st time when the unit first turned on when nothing was coming out the speakers yet and earlier today I could not get the unit to turn on. Nothing,blank screen. As much as I like this thing I have read some pretty bad reviews on it as well, so I instantly was like oh no!! when it wouldn't come on. I tried holding the power button in, took the unit back out and checked all the wiring, I thought maybe it blew a fuse but I hooked up my Shaker 500 and it worked fine. So needless to say I am very disappointed, I pulled the head unit all back out, I'm leaving all the wiring for the camera, navigation in for now. I'll call AM on Monday and see what they say. I'm kinda at the point though of wondering if I can trust another unit or should I just get my money back.

As many of you know this thing is no piece of cake to install and have a lot of time invested. I hope I just got a bad one, I am kinda glad it went out this soon though instead of several months from now. I'll keep you updated. Also thanks to all you guys for the great information and detailed instructions. No way I could've got this installed without your help.
Old 8/3/16, 02:15 PM

Update for you. I called AM first thing Monday morning they then gave me Rosen's tech support number. I explained what was going on and to make a long story short it is the black modulator box, the one with the grey foam around it, went bad.

He said 98%of the time that's the problem. It tells the system to turn on, also it tells the system when the car is in reverse. So they are shipping me one ASAP. In the meantime he told me I can take the red ACC wire and splice into the stock grey and yellow wire that's apart of the big main harness and everything will work, the only thing is the camera won't come on when in reverse. I did this and everything is working now. I left the harness easy to get to so that when I do get the new modulator I'll be able to just snap it back in real quick without taking everything back out.

Really impressed with Dan of Rosen and the tech support I received, they are on the West coast so he was on the phone helping me @ 7:30 in the evening my time. He even went and double checked which wire it was that I could splice into on the Mustang and called me back. So fingers crossed I have no more issues.
Old 8/3/16, 07:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Has anyone installed the unit without having a single issue? I have been following this thread for over a year, and it seem that there's always an issue with this unit--or am I missing something?

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!