05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/15, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did get a new stereo but I went with a more affordable system. I got the Jensen VX7022 and installed it this weekend.
Old 5/26/15, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So today I went back in....removed the passenger side center stack side panel and was able to see in behind the unit to find the green wire marked "BACK" that the instructions told me not to use and not to hook to anything. Brought that wire out into the passenger side footwell. Took the door sill cover off the passenger side to get to the wiring harness going to the back...tested and found the reverse lights white wire that only has power when shifter is moved into reverse and then tapped the green "unused" wire into the reverse lights wire.

Backup camera now comes on when I shift to reverse....like it is supposed to! It comes on and works even without having the in dash unit turned on. Slight 1 second delay in coming on when shifting into reverse...but not bad and I'm now happy that after all the questions and answers, that the whole thing is working as it was advertised!
Old 5/31/15, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre
So today I went back in....removed the passenger side center stack side panel and was able to see in behind the unit to find the green wire marked "BACK" that the instructions told me not to use and not to hook to anything. Brought that wire out into the passenger side footwell. Took the door sill cover off the passenger side to get to the wiring harness going to the back...tested and found the reverse lights white wire that only has power when shifter is moved into reverse and then tapped the green "unused" wire into the reverse lights wire.

Backup camera now comes on when I shift to reverse....like it is supposed to! It comes on and works even without having the in dash unit turned on. Slight 1 second delay in coming on when shifting into reverse...but not bad and I'm now happy that after all the questions and answers, that the whole thing is working as it was advertised!

Awesome, Sabre!

Just for my knowledge and edification, which wire was the one that runs the backup lights?
Old 6/1/15, 05:27 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Sabre..i got to give it to you...you da'man.
Old 6/1/15, 11:01 AM

new member here..... I also recently purchased the Raxiom unit from AM. First, I wanted to thank everyone here for the information on how to install this unit. As noted by others and experienced by myself, the provided instructions are complete BS. AM needs to step up their game on this one.

I appreciate the level of detail and information provided. Many thanks to everyone for the details and listing the gotcha's as well. I have way too many hours invested in this install, but thanks to the info here I've successfully installed this infotainment system.

Many thanks!

Last edited by olds350; 6/1/15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 6/2/15, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Awesome, Sabre!

Just for my knowledge and edification, which wire was the one that runs the backup lights?

It is a small plain white wire...of which there are at least 2 in the bundle of wires that go to back...that are located under the plastic door sill trim piece on the passenger side....at least in my 2007. I had to find it by trial and error. Becareful when making connections, as these are very small gauge wires and they break easily....don't ask me now I know! LOL

The plain white wire that I connected to, goes to the backup lights ( or I guess more correctly termed "reverse lamps" in auto parlance ) on the right rear side. I found out what it fed, when I broke it making the connection the first time. A little repair work and all was good.
Old 6/4/15, 08:22 AM

For those of you that have installed this Raxiom unit, any issues w/ draining the battery? I wrapped up installation last Sunday and parked the car. Tried to start today and the battery is completely dead, won't even move the window on open. Right now it's charging. Anyone else had this issue?
Old 6/4/15, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by olds350
For those of you that have installed this Raxiom unit, any issues w/ draining the battery? I wrapped up installation last Sunday and parked the car. Tried to start today and the battery is completely dead, won't even move the window on open. Right now it's charging. Anyone else had this issue?
No, and my Stang has sat for the last three weeks without being started.

Just out of curiosity, what did you wire up your camera to as the power source? I initially wired it to 12v constant but then realized it would be powered all the time. I then wired it to the 12v switched wire coming out of the back of the Raxiom (pink I think it was? ) so it only gets power when the radio is on. Maybe that's something to consider?

When you turn off the car, pull the key and open the door does the unit beep a couple of times as it shuts down?
Old 6/4/15, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
No, and my Stang has sat for the last three weeks without being started.

Just out of curiosity, what did you wire up your camera to as the power source? I initially wired it to 12v constant but then realized it would be powered all the time. I then wired it to the 12v switched wire coming out of the back of the Raxiom (pink I think it was? ) so it only gets power when the radio is on. Maybe that's something to consider?

When you turn off the car, pull the key and open the door does the unit beep a couple of times as it shuts down?
10-4 on using the switched wire for the camera. I had one coming from the footwell fuse box that I used to power my gauges, so I know that one is switched. When I turn the car off and close the door and I do indeed hear the shut down tones.

I just charged up the battery, so we'll see what happens. Probably can't report back till the end of next week, driving plans this weekend.
Old 6/5/15, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

To power the camera, I used the single red ACC wire that was in the wire loom that was provided by Raxiom....as per the instructions. The red wire was tagged ACC and had a male, bullet type connector already crimped to the end.

I have not had any battery draining issues.
Old 6/5/15, 11:09 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I just referred a fellow Stanger to this site (posts). He's been having some issues I bet you guys can help out.
Old 7/7/15, 07:50 PM

Greetings....

I wanted to follow up on my experience on installing this Raxiom/Rosen unit. Turns out I had a bad infotainment system. Placing my multimeter in-between the neg battery post and neg cable, I chased down the suspect fuse to, you guessed it, the radio. This is fuse 56.

I removed the radio so I could access all of the cable hookups on the back of the unit. While I was experimenting, I was watching the amps cycle back and forth from 0.7a for 8 seconds, drop to 0.3a for 4 seconds and repeat. While I was watching the amp meter, I starting pulling the supplied connectors from the back of the unit. No change in the amp cycling until I pulled the largest gray factory connector. Once disconnected, the amps dropped to 0.05a and stayed steady. Once I reconnected, it started cycling again. Issue found.

I called AM and told them what I had found. They said call Rosen. Talked to the Rosen tech and explained my issue and what I had found. They said bad unit, call AM and get a replacement. Called AM, they said sure, we'll send you a new unit, but.... we have to have proof that you have returned the old unit IN IT'S ENTIRETY and we'll ship out a new replacement. Out comes the radio and all the wiring including the camera. What a pain.

I received the new unit and with the car shut down and keys out, the amp meter now reads 0.05a with most of the wiring hooked up sans GPS, mic and camera. Good. Happy with that reading. Now I'm hooking this unit back up.

I pulled the upper light console so I could place the phone mic there. I started looking at the light console and I swear there's 2 mics built into the console. There's a mic in each corner as far as I can tell. The mics are built into a sub structure that sits inside of the console.

My question is, has anyone cut the mic from the Raxiom unit and wired into the factory mics? I'm thinking this would create a great factory look and not have the mic hang loose from console.

If not, can someone tell me what color the mic wire is on the car?

Again, thanks for this thread, saved me a heck of a lot of time considering those sh!*y instructions from AM.

best....

Last edited by olds350; 7/7/15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 7/7/15, 08:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Are those mics or motion sensors for the antitheft system?
Old 7/7/15, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Are those mics or motion sensors for the antitheft system?
I'm still voting that those are mics, but that's an interesting suggestion.
Old 7/8/15, 06:03 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
After some Googling, it appears they are motion sensors for the alarm.
Old 7/8/15, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
After some Googling, it appears they are motion sensors for the alarm.
Well then, that's makes my decision pretty easy then and just mount the supplied mic. Interesting to know those are motion detectors. I'd never have guessed that.
Old 7/8/15, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!

Yes they are motion sensors. They came with the active antitheft security system.

If you ever roll down your window, and lock your car. And forget and stick you hand inside to reach something then the horn starts blowin' like the poor car is being mishandled.

Last edited by lowblustang00; 7/8/15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 7/20/15, 04:40 PM

Hey guys, new member but I just installed this Raxiom unit on a Parnelli Jones Special Edition over the weekend which took 3 hours.
Here are my take aways:

Notes on installation that may help:
              First I removed the center console and shaker 500 head unit which is really easy, 2 screws and then the plastics all pop out. 6 screws and the console cover comes off. The bottom left plug is very tough, you have to push in a black plastic piece and then pull down the grey clasp. 4 screws and the head unit is out. (3 plugs and an antenna for me)

Then I put everything together for the head unit that I could. Match up the different color RCA and various clips by color.

At this point I ran the Backup Camera wiring from the front to the back of the vehicle following this path:
              Head unit area to passenger footwell. You will zip tie to existing wire harness at multiple points across footwell later when running the GPS and Sirius back to the front.
              Pull door sill and kick plate then run wires along natural path to the door sill. again will zip tie to existing harness later ( I took the extra time to make sure the wires were all run as close to the bottom and toward seat as possible to ensure no issues when reinstalling door sill)
              Once you reach back seat, remove with two pressure clips under seat. Remove the one push clip that holds plastic below seat in place. Tuck wires under this plastic to continue the line straight towards the trunk.
              Zip tie to existing harnesses all the way to rear of vehicle.
              My install for back up camera won't help because of the PJ edition the license plate is on the trunk lid http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Fo...07_05-1024.jpg so I had to get creative and drill some holes through plastic and the sheet metal.
              For GPS and Nav it couldn't be easier. They are both magnetic pucks so I placed both behind the back seats in the upper deck support beam that has plenty of holes to fit your hands in. There are a few wide flat surfaces that they really grab on to. One on the passenger side, one on the driver side. I fished the cables across the beam and down the side beam and out a small hole conveniently located close the wire I previously ran for the camera. I then traced backward the camera cable exactly to get to the head unit. Zip tie everything down as often as needed. Plenty of cable to go this route.
              Once your wires are run, take the head unit and ground the black wire to one of the existing nuts below the head unit area. It is 10mm and required a long socket on mine. Fish the pink wire down the side of the console (I kept mine well away from shift boot) and tap into the wire indicated on the bad directions. This was just a matter of pulling back the tape and using a wire tap (not included).
              Now just plug everything into the head unit, make sure the yellow camera cable goes into the one marked "camera" I messed this up somehow at first. Use the adapter cable to hook up factory antenna to the head unit, use the sirius adapter to hook up xm, plug in gps antenna to blue plug, clip in 3 factory plugs to their sockets, then slide in unit being careful not to mash wires. Reinstall everything you took apart.
              Done!

Side note, if you don't have a manual trunk release button now is a great time to install one. They are $30-40 online and install by taping into a wire in the door sill that you will be removing. I tied this wiring in again to the same path as the antennas and camera cabling. You do need a 3/4 bit though and be careful to watch for metal behind your plastic.

Hope this helps anyone looking at buying this unit and might be put off by the installation. I didn't find it difficult at all. I had one person helping half the time with handing me zip ties and tools as required.
              Old 8/11/15, 04:53 PM
              V6 Member

Installed the Raxiom radio few weeks ago in my 06 GT, after not driving the car for almost a week it killed my battery. AmericanMuscle sent me a replacement and the 2nd radio is also draining my battery.
              I have my backup Cam hooked up to the red ACC wire coming out of the Raxiom unit. I even tried disconnecting the camera completely & still draining the battery.
              Never had this issue with my factory unit. And to verify its the Raxiom unit I reinstalled my factory radio and left it overnight hooked, next day I hooked up my battery charger and it was fully charged.
              I spoke with AM and they told me to call ROSEN, Rosen didn't have an immediate answer but did say it could be the units Can-bus(?) that is suppose to interpret the information from the vehicle, like when to turn the unit off when the vehicle is off. The rep i spoke with from Rosen is supposed to call me back after he "contacts the engineers" needless to say I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
              Anyone have any suggestions before I throw in the towel and demand a refund??
              Old 8/11/15, 09:00 PM

@ Mumeye.... I had the same issue. See my last response, reply #112. You need to determine the source of the drain. There are several very good video's on youtube that show you how to chase down a power drain. Put your ohm meter in-between the neg battery post and the neg cable. If everything is ok, you should be drawing about 0.05 ohm's of power. I was drawing much more, about 0.4. If you pull fuse 56 that feeds the radio and the power draw drops, then you know is the radio. If you pull another fuse and the power drain drops, then you have another issue and it's not the radio.

I know this sucks having to take the radio out along w/ all of the associated wiring, did it twice myself. I wanted to make sure when I talked to the Rosen tech, I gave him as much detail as I could.

Find your power drain first and go from there... good luck!

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!