05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/15, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LON3WOLF

Thanks! I joined for the same reason. MRKABC did a remarkable job with his DIY write up installing this unit.

I haven't tried the MicroSd slot yet. I know I have a MicroSD card laying around the house somewhere, once I find it, I'll load some MP3's on it and give it a try and let you guys know.
Old 9/24/15, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Savior Six
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and just had my Raxiom NAV installed yesterday. My 09 Cali Special had the factory 6 disc Navigation unit but I definitely wanted bluetooth for my phone and the backup camera feature. I will admit, I was gonna attempt the install on my own but really didn't have the time so i took it to my local installed and he only charged me 2 hours of labor ($160). He was able to use the OEM navigation antenna and the NAV works perfectly. I havent tested out everything yet, but I am impressed with this unit and it was definitely worth the money. Only small irritation I have, when I put it in reverse, I get "No Signal" temporarily (about a 2 seconds) on the screen before the rear view camera projects whats behind me. Other than that, hands free phone works perfectly, I played a DVD and that works just fine. Here are some pics.

If anyone's interested in buying the Ford OEM 6 disc Navigation made by (Pioneer) shoot me a message, its in perfect condition.

I don't get the "No Signal" message, but do experience a 1 -2 second delay in the rear camera coming on, after shifting into reverse. I think others that have posted here, that have installed the Raxiom unit are experiencing the same thing. A bit of a frustration, but everything else works so well, that it is only a small annoyance
Old 9/24/15, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Savior Six
LON3WOLF

Thanks! I joined for the same reason. MRKABC did a remarkable job with his DIY write up installing this unit.

I haven't tried the MicroSd slot yet. I know I have a MicroSD card laying around the house somewhere, once I find it, I'll load some MP3's on it and give it a try and let you guys know.
Thanks! You would not BELIEVE what American Muscle is saying in regards to the issues I'm having with the SD card slot. One woman today told me that it has to be a specially formatted SD card from Rosen to play mp3s or that if I use my own, they have a way to corrupt the data so it won't play on the head unit! I've been losing my mind with the lack of knowledge they have on this product. They say they called Rosen but I've spoken to them several times and they clearly have their act together with the precise, technical information I've been getting.

Any info from anyone on the SD card slot would be immensely helpful!
The following users liked this post:
MDMachiavelli (9/19/17)
Old 9/24/15, 09:47 AM

All... I've bee back and forth w/ Rosen on this SXM issue. So it's my understanding there are 2 modes for using siriusxm on this unit, one involves buying a separate sat radio hook up and one is using the default settings. The pic I posted up in reply #134 shows the default interface. On the default interface, there is NO button that allows for channel number entries. You only have the up/down option to select channels. You do have 18 presets, so that will be your only way to fast access a channel

That said, the Rosen unit uses the original radio code from the shaker unit. There is no unique code on the default Rosen unit unless you buy the add on SXM player.

So now what I have to do is remove the Rosen unit and reinstall the factory unit to access the SXM code. Bit of a pain, buy my only option if I want to hear SXM.
Old 10/22/15, 06:04 PM

Lon3wolf, sorry it took me so long to check on this, but I just played music on my Raxiom using a 16GB microSD card. No problem. I used mp3 format for the music. Hope this helps.
Old 10/22/15, 06:07 PM

Looks like my previous posts on this did not actually post, so here it is again:

Regarding DVD in motion, take the pink wire that comes from the radio and is labeled e-brake and ground it instead of splicing it to the e-brake. Presto, DVD whenever you want it. I got the idea from a post by MRKABC regarding measured voltage on the e-brake wire that they want you to splice into. Hope this helps.
Old 10/26/15, 09:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone had volume issues on their unit? Mine likes to fluctuate up and down when turning it down. It only does it sometimes I dont think its an issue with the **** more like a software glitch. I love the radio but that and a few interface gripes are driving me nuts.
Old 10/27/15, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
Anyone had volume issues on their unit? Mine likes to fluctuate up and down when turning it down. It only does it sometimes I dont think its an issue with the **** more like a software glitch. I love the radio but that and a few interface gripes are driving me nuts.

I've not experienced that particular problem...in fact, perhaps I've just been lucky...but mine has been problem free since the install.

I have an 07 and I wonder if a few of these different glitches we are seeing might be related to our differing year models. I know at the time of install, when I talked to Raxiom, they indicated that they had tested the unit on 05 and 06 year model Mustangs....but they admitted that it's possible that some things had changed through Ford with the later model years. I ended up hooking into the right rear reverse light wire to trigger my rear camera to come on...which was something the instructions did not indicate I would need to do.
Old 11/9/15, 10:30 PM
V6 Member

Aftermarket XM

Anyone running the SV300 aftermarket XM module? I have factory XM, but would like the more modern XM with station logos and album art and such. Anyone have this and can confirm if this unit does this or is it no better than the factory XM?

Also anyone running this with factory steering wheel controls?

Thanks
Randy

Last edited by randyre; 11/9/15 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12/5/15, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking forward to getting one of these units, once they are back in stock, hopefully around tax refund time!
Old 12/14/15, 11:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jwgroovin
Looking forward to getting one of these units, once they are back in stock, hopefully around tax refund time!

They are out of stock?!? You would think with the diminishing number of people out there with 2005-2009 'Stangs they would have plenty... (shaking head)

P.S. Glad you guys liked my writeup!
Old 12/20/15, 09:36 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by mrkabc
They are out of stock?!? You would think with the diminishing number of people out there with 2005-2009 'Stangs they would have plenty... (shaking head)

P.S. Glad you guys liked my writeup!

AM has restocked. I ordered on Dec 8th. I'm a new member and am so glad to find this thread on the install. Many thanks to mrkabc and Sabre (and others) for your great instructions. Mine is sitting under the Xmas tree waiting for me to install it in my wife's 06 convertible. After buying it I have seen many negative reviews on other sites which had me worried, especially since l had to pay an extra 40% exchange for Canadian dollars. Thanks to you guys l know that there maybe issues but there are also solutions. Thanks again. Luckily I have from now til spring to do the install
Old 12/20/15, 09:49 PM

Just a comment about the crappy instructions that are included (which I haven't read yet but have heard so much about). Everyone seems to blame AM for them but I believe the responsibility for them lies with Raxiom (Rosen).
Old 3/15/16, 09:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Pidd
Just a comment about the crappy instructions that are included (which I haven't read yet but have heard so much about). Everyone seems to blame AM for them but I believe the responsibility for them lies with Raxiom (Rosen).

How did your installation go? It's March now, no excuses for not having it installed!
Old 4/7/16, 10:11 PM

Hey all...new here. Great thread on the Raxiom unit. I had to laugh since during my install I said out loud what many of you have posted. I was so frustrated with the instructions...or should I say lack of! A unit so clean and somewhat sophisticated as this and you have to spend so much time guessing?! Unfortunately I did my install last weekend PRIOR to finding this thread. I found it out of desperation. Everything seems to work EXCEPT I have horrible radio reception. Obviously I have the FM antenna plugged in (I considered the fact that it may have come loose but then it dawned on me I would get NO reception). I'm really hoping that I don't have to rip it all out and return it because it's defective...but it's looking that way unless anyone has any ideas or has heard of a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ('05 GT)
Old 4/8/16, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SMac
Hey all...new here. Great thread on the Raxiom unit. I had to laugh since during my install I said out loud what many of you have posted. I was so frustrated with the instructions...or should I say lack of! A unit so clean and somewhat sophisticated as this and you have to spend so much time guessing?! Unfortunately I did my install last weekend PRIOR to finding this thread. I found it out of desperation. Everything seems to work EXCEPT I have horrible radio reception. Obviously I have the FM antenna plugged in (I considered the fact that it may have come loose but then it dawned on me I would get NO reception). I'm really hoping that I don't have to rip it all out and return it because it's defective...but it's looking that way unless anyone has any ideas or has heard of a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ('05 GT)

My AM - FM radio reception is pretty poor too...but I credit my poor reception to a couple of things.

1. I live out in the boonies and the reception of my favorite stations located 80+ miles away has always been sketchy...but I do believe it's worse than what it was with the stock Shaker 500 unit. When I do get to the city, it seems like the reception is fine.

2. I replaced my stock "long" antenna with a shortie aftermarket antenna several years ago. I noticed immediately a severe reduction in reception at that time, even with the stock Shaker 500 unit. I will usually use MP3 or now satellite radio, so the AM - FM reception issue was not that big of a deal to me....I did the swap to the shortie antenna pretty much for cosmetic reasons. But I'm pretty sure that if I put the stock antenna back on, the reception would improve on the Raxiom unit....just haven't tried it yet.
Old 4/8/16, 11:22 AM

Raxiom reception

Thanks for the info Sabre. I have thought about doing the shortie for the same reasons although I have not done that yet. Still have the stock antenna. My reception was fine with the Shaker unit but now it's REALLY bad. Static on most channels until I'm right up in the station vicinity. Wouldn't be a big deal except for I use it in the AM when commuting to work for traffic updates. Kinda critical. Kinda bummed. Im going to call Raxiom tech and see if there are any known issues. (I couldn't help myself, I tore it all down again just to double check ground and antenna connections.....even tho I knew better )
Old 4/8/16, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info Sabre. I have thought about doing the shortie for the same reasons although I have not done that yet. Still have the stock antenna. My reception was fine with the Shaker unit but now it's REALLY bad. Static on most channels until I'm right up in the station vicinity. Wouldn't be a big deal except for I use it in the AM when commuting to work for traffic updates. Kinda critical. Kinda bummed. Im going to call Raxiom tech and see if there are any known issues. (I couldn't help myself, I tore it all down again just to double check ground and antenna connections.....even tho I knew better )

Even though I mentioned I kinda live out in the Boonies....I remember the AM-FM reception being pretty decent with the stock Shaker 500 and the stock long antenna....not great...but decent. I did notice a reduction when I went with the shortie antenna. So....I guess I was just attributing the even worse reception performance now with the Raxiom unit, to the shortie antenna...but it's entirely possible that that is not the case and these units have some shortcomings on the AM-FM reception side. Mine could be just like yours. Guess I'll try to remember to put the stock antenna back of at some point and see how/if it improves reception any or not.

If you get any answer from American Muscle, Raxiom or Rosen please post back here. I'd be interested to hear or know what they said and would try to improve the reception if they have a fix for it.
Old 4/9/16, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Stock antenna here. My Raxiom unit has the same reception that my Shaker 1000 did. I primarily listen to FM radio, so I use the FM tuner constantly, and it works well. I was too cheep to install the satellite radio option.

I'd say that if your antenna was working fine before, you may have an issue with either your "Y" harness or the radio unit.

My first thought would be to get a ""Y" harness at Best Buy to diagnose the problem. If that doesn't fix the reception then you have your answer.

That sucks. At least you don't have to do the wiring again though, swapping out the head unit isn't that difficult.

(EDIT!) Oh, and WELCOME TO TMS!!

Last edited by mrkabc; 4/9/16 at 05:27 PM.
Old 4/30/16, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Here's an update. After doing all the troubleshooting I could possibly think of.
I contacted Raxiom and long story short found myself finally talking to the manufacturer of the unit, Rosen Electronics. They did some troubleshooting with me and finally concluded it must be a faulty unit. They spoke to American Muscle for me and arranged it so I didn't have to return the unit in it's entirety. They even negotiated a way for AM to send me a new unit FIRST so I could just swap heads and not have to go without for several days. The result....a unit that now has better reception than my stock Shaker unit. I even have FM HD along with all of the other bells and whistles.
It was a long and arduous road but at least it worked out in the end. Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!