05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

For those thinking about Racing Stripes!

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/05, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RickTurbo the stripes were installed by Dan @ Graphic Express in Inverness FL.

Here's the rest of the story I haven't fessed up too. This was one of the first 2005 Mustangs that Graphic Express striped - Did an excellent job! I left the car with them for 5 days. Why so long? My car was a test mule for them to fit and advertise their available stripe packages. As a result Dan gave me a very good deal on the stripes. If you look at their Web Page all the WB pictures with stripes are of my car.

The stripes are 12" wide - tapered on the hood due to body profile with a gap approximately 1.5" wide.

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford_...05_mustang.htm

I would suggest giving Dan a call - 352-341-0077
Old 2/3/05, 06:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 is mineral grey what color stripes would look good? ahs anyone striped a mineral grey yet?
Old 2/3/05, 06:49 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Wintrmte@February 2, 2005, 10:58 PM
I got my stripes put on today but the vinyl doesn't appear shiny and you can see where they used the rubber tool on it to get the bubbles out and stuff (you can see the swirlies and all).

Will a good coat of Wax help shine them up and take out the swirlies?
Well that doesn't sound good. They should have used a felt applicator but instead they used a standard plastic applicator which always scratches. Also since you say the vinyl doesn't appear shiny that tells me they used calendared vinyl. Let me guess, the stripes are not metallic.

If that is the case I hate to break the bad news to you. If they did use calendared vinyl it is 3mil instead of 2 mil that is used for cars. Calendared vinyl will lift, peel and crack a lot faster on a car than 2 mil auto vinyl.

You may want to go back to them and verify exactly what type of vinyl they used and complain about the scratches in the vinyl.

Wax will help hide some of the scratches but what colour are your stripes?
Old 2/3/05, 06:50 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by lightningstang@February 3, 2005, 7:36 AM
My 05 is mineral grey what color stripes would look good? ahs anyone striped a mineral grey yet?

I have seen Black, Dark Charcoal, light charcoal and silver installed on that colour.

Personally I would go with dark charcoal metallic.
Old 2/3/05, 07:05 AM
GT Member

ok thanks now anyone know of an installer near Pittsburgh ahaha.
Old 2/3/05, 07:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Todd, if they had your car for 5 days I would hope they didn't charge you at all for the stripes. The profit they will make for selling their first kit will pay for the vinyl they put on your car.
Old 2/3/05, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 3, 2005, 7:52 AM
Well that doesn't sound good. They should have used a felt applicator but instead they used a standard plastic applicator which always scratches. Also since you say the vinyl doesn't appear shiny that tells me they used calendared vinyl. Let me guess, the stripes are not metallic.

If that is the case I hate to break the bad news to you. If they did use calendared vinyl it is 3mil instead of 2 mil that is used for cars. Calendared vinyl will lift, peel and crack a lot faster on a car than 2 mil auto vinyl.

You may want to go back to them and verify exactly what type of vinyl they used and complain about the scratches in the vinyl.

Wax will help hide some of the scratches but what colour are your stripes?
Argh...... They are black, the worst color imho for showing the swirlie lines..

Thanks for the info. When I was there they were using a tool that resembled a window scraper except with what appeared to be a rubber edge. They were spraying water on the vinyl as they applied it as I would imagine it would help reduce the amound of friction from the tool.

I'll try waxing them when I get home tonight and see if that helps any. If not, I'll be back there tomorrow to complain. :bang:
Old 2/3/05, 02:37 PM

After 3 coats of wax, I think I got them shined right up. Here are some pictures:

and

and finally, the sexy rear.

Old 2/3/05, 06:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Not bad, now this is just my opinion, but I don't like the way the stripes on the front bumper taper in.

Anyway, you will get lots of scratces and swirls in black vinyl, I know, bad news. If you went with Dark Charcoal metallic it would have helped. Metallics tend to hide swirls pretty good.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you use glaze on the stripes first, before the wax, they will protect them better from UV, bird crap and also help hide scratches better than just wax can.
Old 2/3/05, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey john. I love your striping.
They are 10 3/4" but are they tapered at all and if
so where and by how much?
Old 2/3/05, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 3, 2005, 7:23 PM
Not bad, now this is just my opinion, but I don't like the way the stripes on the front bumper taper in.

Anyway, you will get lots of scratces and swirls in black vinyl, I know, bad news. If you went with Dark Charcoal metallic it would have helped. Metallics tend to hide swirls pretty good.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you use glaze on the stripes first, before the wax, they will protect them better from UV, bird crap and also help hide scratches better than just wax can.
Thanks for the info. Yea, the tapering is different but I don't mind it too much. Thankfully that's the only spot that they taper. The rest seems straight.

What glaze product do you recommend? I've never heard of it before.
Old 2/4/05, 09:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by legend05@February 3, 2005, 10:22 PM
Hey john. I love your striping.
They are 10 3/4" but are they tapered at all and if
so where and by how much?
They are 10 3/4" with 1" gap, no taper at all.
Old 2/4/05, 09:24 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Wintrmte+February 3, 2005, 11:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wintrmte @ February 3, 2005, 11:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@February 3, 2005, 7:23 PM

Thanks for the info. Yea, the tapering is different but I don't mind it too much. Thankfully that's the only spot that they taper. The rest seems straight.

What glaze product do you recommend? I've never heard of it before.
[/b][/quote]

3M makes a great product avaiable in white or gray (for dark cars). It can be used by hand or machine. You may find it at an automotive supply store.
Old 2/4/05, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking about Competition White stripes on my Mineral Gray!
Old 2/5/05, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

A long long time ago, maybe September or so, I saw a picture someone posted of a LL with stripes. I absolutely LOVED it, and havent seen any others like it since. I searched and searched and can not find that picture. The stripes were like most, except on the outside edge of the stripes there was another narrow stripe. Anybody seen it? Find it for me?

Sort alike this... (but not spaced out quite that far)

| ||||| ||||| |
| ||||| ||||| |
| ||||| ||||| |
| ||||| ||||| |
Old 2/5/05, 07:35 AM
GT Member

This is one of a black v6 at a dealer in Florida I believe with the extra stripe. It isn't LL but Silver.
Extra Stripe
Old 2/5/05, 04:53 PM
CME
GT Member

I plan on the shaker hood and striping it like they did. Then I'm considering this for the sides (without the twister). I will probably have the hood stripes painted when the new hood is painted. Probalby will do the same on the sides just to make sure they match, I've used vinyl before with no problems, I just know a painter I trust and will do me a great job for a reasonable price.
Old 2/6/05, 05:09 AM
GT Member

Hey Rich - I'd go with white or black stripes if i were you - but the grey looks so good with almost any color!

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...05/stripes.htm
Old 3/6/05, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@February 3, 2005, 12:38 AM
RickTurbo the stripes were installed by Dan @ Graphic Express in Inverness FL.

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford_...05_mustang.htm

I would suggest giving Dan a call - 352-341-0077
Todd, Thanks very much for the link and phone number. :worship:

I'm looking to put only the side stripes on the SilverBullet and this is the only place I've come across willing to mail-order. :scratch:

I'm in southeastern PA, surrounding areas: Blue Bell, King of Prussia, Montgomeryville, Norristown, so if anyone has word of a shop in this area please shout it out. I tried Glazier's Mustang Barn near Hatfield and they're not doing it. So far the dealer has said no also. I guess I might be left to do it on my own which is why I was happy to see your post on Graphic Express.

I did it on my old '67 FB way back around '69 with striping I got from JC Whitney but this one will have to be a little more profiessional.

Thanks again,
Ron
Old 3/6/05, 06:04 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Now, I've seen all kinds of stripes. But I have not seen red stripes on a black GT and I have not seen the fat stripe down the middle with the smaller stripes on either side. Anyone have any pics of these. Thanks. :worship:

Quick Reply: For those thinking about Racing Stripes!