05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

For those thinking about Racing Stripes!

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/05, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering going with some white stripes on mine (torch red), and if i do, i'd definitely go with vinyl.

Nothing against painting them, but I like the idea of being able to take them off if I change my mind in the future. I'd also be stressing out that whichever paint shop I picked would screw something up lol.

But anyway... it seems like as long as you find a quality person to do them, whether paint or vinyl, they'll look great
Old 1/18/05, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Very nice stripe's Mark!!

Vinyl served me well!! Cost 450 dollars and I got some rock chip's on the front and the shop that did mine replaced them at no charge, just gave him a good tip, he said come buy anytime.
Old 1/18/05, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Come "BUY" anythime. That's a good one!
Old 1/19/05, 06:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 1/19/05, 12:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey John with vinyl how many cut and butt joints are there on your mustang ?
Do the bumpers have any? or over the trunk? and how about the spoiler doe's it go all the way around ?
Just wondering ..
Old 1/19/05, 12:40 PM
Retired Tms Staff

are you sitting down.....

On the trunk there is 1 seam above the third brake light. It runs along the edge of the trunk so you don't see it.

The front bumper has 2 seams and the back bumper has 1 seam. All seams are made where there is a bend in the bumper so the seam lines up with the body lines. Unless you are really close and run your hand along it you would never know.

Now the part that scares everyone. How do you make the seams. Easy, you put the lower section on the car first, then using masking tape you mark off where the seam is to be. Then take an exacto blade (razor blade to some people) and cut along the masking tape. Then remove the tape. Lay the next piece on and overlap the first piece. Using masking tape mark out a line again that leaves 1/8" overlap. Now cut the vinyl, but be very careful, don't cut the vinyl underneath.

Some people are very afraid to do this, I'm not. Lots of practice so I don't cut the paint. Now a warning to a lot of people. If someone is striping the car for you, unless you trust them 100% when they do this, you may want to be around the car when they are using the blades. I have seen some people do some major hack jobs for 2 reasons.

1. They don't think you'd ever remove the stripes.
2. What do they care, it's not their car.

As for the spoiler in the back, you can't go all the way around because of the major indents under the spoiler. Just wrap it around and into the indents cutting the stripe there. Nobody will ever know, unless you open the trunk and they have their head stuck in there trying to figure it out, then you smack em

I have seen some people do the trunk in 1 piece and you can tell because the vinyl curves too much so you don't end up with a perfect gap or 1 stripe ends up being narrower than the other because they trimmed it to make it look straight.
Old 1/19/05, 11:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks John I really appreciate the time you took to explain this .
Old 1/20/05, 06:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

anytime
Old 1/20/05, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is my mustang gt I just sold to buy my 05 GT. Had the vinyl stripes on for 6 years...no peeling, fading, and i waxed the car 3-4 times a year with no bubbling. I will put vinyl on my 05 for sure.

Old 1/20/05, 05:30 PM
GT Member

So John, when do you have some spare time to do the striping job on my car?

Seriously I doubt I can find someone around to do such a perfect job... :-(
Old 1/20/05, 06:11 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I have a feeling I am going to be busy striping cars this summer. Finally got my kit info done and will post more information soon. Basically I will be selling the kit for $275.00 (canadian funds). I'll post more information soon in a new thread.
Old 1/20/05, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 20, 2005, 7:14 PM
I have a feeling I am going to be busy striping cars this summer. Finally got my kit info done and will post more information soon. Basically I will be selling the kit for $275.00 (canadian funds). I'll post more information soon in a new thread.
Well John please hurry with the kit. I will get the stripes from you.
BTW, where in Canada are ya?
Old 1/26/05, 07:25 PM

Just to add some input here...

I went and spoke with a local sign shop here and they actually quoted me about $170 to do two 8" with a 2" gap in between for my car.

They warranty the stripes and becuase they place the vinyl on cars for signs, they know what to use and not to use.

I haven't had it done yet but plan to here in the next week. I'll post some pic's once they are on though.

And, for what it is worth .. Anyone who got the Exterior sport package got the Vinyl "MUSTANG" along the driver and passenger side doors.. Those are vinyl as well, so something to keep in mind when talking about having to replace in 7 years..
Old 1/26/05, 07:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Wintrmte@January 26, 2005, 8:28 PM
Just to add some input here...

I went and spoke with a local sign shop here and they actually quoted me about $170 to do two 8" with a 2" gap in between for my car.

They warranty the stripes and becuase they place the vinyl on cars for signs, they know what to use and not to use.

I haven't had it done yet but plan to here in the next week. I'll post some pic's once they are on though.

And, for what it is worth .. Anyone who got the Exterior sport package got the Vinyl "MUSTANG" along the driver and passenger side doors.. Those are vinyl as well, so something to keep in mind when talking about having to replace in 7 years..

Not disagreeing with you there but keep in mind that the stripes that FORD installs only has a 20,000 km/3 year whichever comes first warranty on them. Also, the sign company warranties them but ask them "Will you replace the stripe free of charge if I should damage it when washing the car (ie power washer, buffer, etc...). I'll be shocked if they do and if they do they must be desperate for business.

Personally, 8" stripes with a 2" gap do not look good on this car. They are too narrow, but hey, that is just my opinion.
Old 1/26/05, 07:47 PM
Retired Tms Staff

legend05. I live between Sarnia and London Ontario.
Old 1/26/05, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 26, 2005, 8:48 PM
Not disagreeing with you there but keep in mind that the stripes that FORD installs only has a 20,000 km/3 year whichever comes first warranty on them. Also, the sign company warranties them but ask them "Will you replace the stripe free of charge if I should damage it when washing the car (ie power washer, buffer, etc...). I'll be shocked if they do and if they do they must be desperate for business.

Personally, 8" stripes with a 2" gap do not look good on this car. They are too narrow, but hey, that is just my opinion.
Interesting, I will have to ask them about that then. My father in law builds street rods, so we could use his equipment to get them off if ever needed.

I love your stripes though. How wide did you go? It's not too late so I can change my order.
Old 1/27/05, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

"I have a feeling I am going to be busy striping cars this summer. Finally got my kit info done and will post more information soon. Basically I will be selling the kit for $275.00 (canadian funds). I'll post more information soon in a new thread."

Keep me in mind when the kits are ready. I thought you lived in Burlington?

Where between Sarnia and London are you - just curious?
Old 1/27/05, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Rich

1600 dollars! :bang:

Off season here and we are pretty pricey in the Washington suburbs, so 1053 plus 100 tip is looking better and better.
Old 1/27/05, 02:24 PM
GT Member

John, Thanks for your detailed explanation of pros and cons of vinyl / vs paint. Your information plus my own homework helped me to decide to go with vinyl.
By the way, I was told to wax them, they're guaranteed 7 years (3M Product) and the installer was sure to round the corners. I am extremely happy with the result.
Thanks again for your input.

Dave
Old 1/29/05, 07:17 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 19, 2005, 2:43 PM
are you sitting down.....

On the trunk there is 1 seam above the third brake light. It runs along the edge of the trunk so you don't see it.

The front bumper has 2 seams and the back bumper has 1 seam. All seams are made where there is a bend in the bumper so the seam lines up with the body lines. Unless you are really close and run your hand along it you would never know.

Now the part that scares everyone. How do you make the seams. Easy, you put the lower section on the car first, then using masking tape you mark off where the seam is to be. Then take an exacto blade (razor blade to some people) and cut along the masking tape. Then remove the tape. Lay the next piece on and overlap the first piece. Using masking tape mark out a line again that leaves 1/8" overlap. Now cut the vinyl, but be very careful, don't cut the vinyl underneath.

Some people are very afraid to do this, I'm not. Lots of practice so I don't cut the paint. Now a warning to a lot of people. If someone is striping the car for you, unless you trust them 100% when they do this, you may want to be around the car when they are using the blades. I have seen some people do some major hack jobs for 2 reasons.

1. They don't think you'd ever remove the stripes.
2. What do they care, it's not their car.

As for the spoiler in the back, you can't go all the way around because of the major indents under the spoiler. Just wrap it around and into the indents cutting the stripe there. Nobody will ever know, unless you open the trunk and they have their head stuck in there trying to figure it out, then you smack em

I have seen some people do the trunk in 1 piece and you can tell because the vinyl curves too much so you don't end up with a perfect gap or 1 stripe ends up being narrower than the other because they trimmed it to make it look straight.
I have to say thanks also. I printed this post by you and took it with me. The guy who did my stripes was glad. He said it sounded like you thought like him. He really took pride in his work. I also am happy with my result.
Will post pics when it quits snowing here.

Quick Reply: For those thinking about Racing Stripes!