05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in 9008

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/05, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had been intending to post this for a while. I sent an email to Sylvania customer support asking them about Silver Star bulbs in the 9008 package.

The reply I got stated that they are just now starting to work on the 9008 package for the Silver Star line and it will be towards the end of the year before it is available. She did reassure me that the stock replacement builb is available in the 9008 package...
Old 2/28/05, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really want the silverstar headlamp bulbs to go with my silverstar fogs..Would complete the package..Guess we'll just wait it out!
Old 2/28/05, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by subzero05@February 28, 2005, 1:01 PM
I really want the silverstar headlamp bulbs to go with my silverstar fogs..Would complete the package..Guess we'll just wait it out!
pardon my lighting ignorance ... can you guys tell me some benefits to the silverstar lights? ie: what's the difference over stock/normal lights?

thanks in advance
Old 2/28/05, 01:46 PM
Retired Tms Staff

The difference is they are brighter and give a wider, longer lit up section at night. Problem = oncommers will flash their lights at you thinking you have your highbeams on, like I don't get that enough as it is with the GT.
Old 2/28/05, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

The Silver Stars are (by far) the best non HID lights out there. They are a stock replacement bulb and while they are more expensive than stock replacement bulbs, this is only in the $25-35 each range instead of the $500-$1000 a set for HID.

I had been searching high and low trying to get a set of bright, white lights on my 81 F100. I had upgraded to new bulb connectors and ran power directly off the battery with relays. That took me from 11.5V with the engine running to 13.5V or so at the bulb under load. That was a huge improvement, but still a "yellow" light. Bolting in a pair of Silver Stars got rid of the yellow and DEFINITELY made a huge improvement in overall brightness and lighting distance.

I have not been flashed since I installed them, but I also have my headlight properly adjusted. If you are getting flashed (and I don't care what your lights are as long as they are legal...), you need to get your headlights adjusted properly. The low beams should be aimed slightly towards the right side of the road so it doesn't glare oncoming cars. You can find the correct procedure or have them professionally aligned to be on the safe side.
Old 3/2/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 28, 2005, 3:27 PM
The Silver Stars are (by far) the best non HID lights out there. They are a stock replacement bulb and while they are more expensive than stock replacement bulbs, this is only in the $25-35 each range instead of the $500-$1000 a set for HID.

I had been searching high and low trying to get a set of bright, white lights on my 81 F100. I had upgraded to new bulb connectors and ran power directly off the battery with relays. That took me from 11.5V with the engine running to 13.5V or so at the bulb under load. That was a huge improvement, but still a "yellow" light. Bolting in a pair of Silver Stars got rid of the yellow and DEFINITELY made a huge improvement in overall brightness and lighting distance.

I have not been flashed since I installed them, but I also have my headlight properly adjusted. If you are getting flashed (and I don't care what your lights are as long as they are legal...), you need to get your headlights adjusted properly. The low beams should be aimed slightly towards the right side of the road so it doesn't glare oncoming cars. You can find the correct procedure or have them professionally aligned to be on the safe side.

i could have sworn they were out, but i guess not.
I have them in my truck and they are a huge improvement...but I do get flashed all the time on 2 lane roads.
Old 3/2/05, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

I've installed SilverStars in the past 3 autos I've owned and they are a great "bang for the buck" mod. About 15% - 20% brighter and best of all they have a great White light - not yellow or blue - plus they are the same wattage as the stock bulbs - so no worries about overloading the system, etc.

I e-mailed the Sylvania folks in early January and at that time they said there was no SilverStar in the 9008/H13 nor were there any plans on making one......so the above news is great!