05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SilverHorse Racing Rear Medallion Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/06, 05:27 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Ah the flippy thing. I dont really get the point but I would buy it. It looks kind of cool and it would confuse the crap out of my friends.
  1. Hides that rediculous keyhole.
  2. Completes the retro-Mach 1 look.
  3. It's different than stock.
Old 7/16/06, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice,ill wait then.cant wait to see the gt version.do you have any pics of your black gt gascap on a car?the pics on your site is kind of hard to make out.i was hoping for pics in the sun.thanks
Old 7/16/06, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looking forward to other finishes, and seeing it on a car without your rear panel
Old 7/16/06, 05:40 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06tungstenstang
nice,ill wait then.cant wait to see the gt version.do you have any pics of your black gt gascap on a car?the pics on your site is kind of hard to make out.i was hoping for pics in the sun.thanks
We've tried, but not too much luck here. Because our car is white, the camera really has trouble when we put a black door on for photos. Let me see what I have in the customer photos....

Only have one submitted picture - want to make it two?
Attached Images  
Old 7/16/06, 05:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
any thoughts of putting the ribbing on perimeter, and a 69 pony emblem in the center? always loved the 69 gascaps- except for the fact it is in the most assinine place anyone coulda ever put it
My 69 will get a fuelcell before it ever sees the road again(if that ever happens) but the look of the old cap was very cool.
Old 7/16/06, 05:49 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
any thoughts of putting the ribbing on perimeter, and a 69 pony emblem in the center? always loved the 69 gascaps- except for the fact it is in the most assinine place anyone coulda ever put it
My 69 will get a fuelcell before it ever sees the road again(if that ever happens) but the look of the old cap was very cool.
Just wait for the other two styles if that is the look you are after. The GT style will be close to that, and the third - well, that's another can of worms that we are working on now.
Old 7/16/06, 06:55 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMustangSource
And still does nothing for me
Old 7/16/06, 07:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
And still does nothing for me
Except for the flippy part right. Just sit there for hours and flip-flip, flip-flip.
Old 7/16/06, 09:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheMustangSource
Rediculous keyhole?? I think you are getting a little too picky with everything .JMO
That being said I like the stock medallion.
And i think the honeycomb back is hideous,but everyone has their own preferences
Old 7/16/06, 09:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Rediculous keyhole?? I think you are getting a little too picky with everything .JMO
That being said I like the stock medallion.
And i think the honeycomb back is hideous,but everyone has their own preferences
Ah yes, aren't we lucky everyone does have their own preference?

Thankfully I've developed somewhat of a thick skin for when people call my designs "hideous" - it's okay - someday I'll design something you will like for your car...
Old 7/16/06, 09:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately not everyone is going to like everything...
Old 7/16/06, 10:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw the honeycomb panel in person the other day and was impressed with the fit and look but I think it's more of a Mach 1 thing imo. The rear cover is a no go for me but it sounds like there are people here who want to buy one so good for you.
Old 7/16/06, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Marcello, I really respect you for how well you take the criticism. That being said I would like the rear honey comb panel more if it wasnt so bulky and didnt stick out so far. Question, how thick is it? Im thinking of going the way of some of the other forum members and just painting that area flat black or semi-gloss.
Old 7/16/06, 11:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I realy dont like the stock rear medallion, but I really dont like your honey comb panel either. Depending on how this medallion looks, I might order one in black anodized, are the screws silver on all of the medallions, or on the black are they black?
Old 7/17/06, 06:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Marcello, any chance of something like this? It would cover the keyhole completely (fine by me). It doesn't necessarily have to have the "GT" on it, it could be blank so it could be customized with a tri-bar pony or whatever comes to mind.
Attached Images  
Old 7/17/06, 07:38 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Well, take the picture you posted and cut out some of the screws on the periphery, and put GT horizontal instead of vertical, and you're going to be close to the piece we have made for the GT. Sorry I don't have any pictures, I just didn't think to grab any from the machine shop before they went off to anodize. Hopefully they will be back by the end of the week, and everyone will be able to see them.

As to the tribar pony mount, that's one of the options for style #3 - it is more a "semi-finished" piece that allows us to do engraving, emblem mounting, etc. to it.
Old 7/17/06, 07:44 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
I realy dont like the stock rear medallion, but I really dont like your honey comb panel either. Depending on how this medallion looks, I might order one in black anodized, are the screws silver on all of the medallions, or on the black are they black?
It's no sweat on the likes and dislikes - what matters on your car is that you are true to yourself, and let others do the same. I don't like "riced" cars at all, but by all means, if that's what the guy wants to do to his car, it is his, and on the better executed ones, I still respect the work that goes into them. The fact that a large number of owners do like each product we design allows us to make the next part, and the next one, etc... (the quarter windows wouldn't have happened if the honeycomb panel wasn't the success it has become)

Screws are silver in appearance because we use stainless steel there. They are a standard thread, so they are not hard to replace, but standard black oxide screws would rust, hence why we stick with the stainless. Of course, they are easily removable, so they could be painted if you like and then re-installed on the part.
Old 7/17/06, 07:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
Hey Marcello, I really respect you for how well you take the criticism. That being said I would like the rear honey comb panel more if it wasnt so bulky and didnt stick out so far. Question, how thick is it? Im thinking of going the way of some of the other forum members and just painting that area flat black or semi-gloss.
Adam,

It actually sticks out less than the taillights, and although the border edge is ~.750 thick, the honeycomb area only sits ~.180 off the surface - the difference in plastic finishes adds to the illusion of depth in the part, since in reality is is more shallow than the original piece by a few thousandth's of an inch. The originals were all flat surfaces, where we have the gloss and sandblast etch to make the honeycomb "jump" off the surface background.

The thread dedicated to the development of the panel is here in case you'd like some more reading on how our development goes on the forums:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=honeycomb
Old 7/17/06, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

i agree with the last statement.the thickness of the rear panel is why i bought it.if i wanted a cheap thin sticker i could have saved myself some money.keep up the good work!
Old 7/17/06, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Marcello - very nice job (again as usual)...

I would like to see what this would look like in Satin Black (both regular and GT).

I have your black fuel filler door on my car and have accented the GT and recesses with Yellow Vinyl to match the color of the car. I get thumbs up all the time and send them to your website.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: SilverHorse Racing Rear Medallion Replacement