05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

shelby conversions and the rice factor

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/07, 05:29 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm a clone.. and i'm proud of it, and the guys at Shelby like it too!

Originally Posted by Ted @ Shelby Automobiles
Looks good Louie, like it was designed to go together, a Proud piece of machinery.
With the few additional touches, i think my car looks better than a GT500, not to mention unique.
and being a good 250-300 pounds lighter, and 50HP stronger, it's even faster than one.

bottom line is, whether or not you think my car is one of those Shelby conversion worthy.. i think to each their own!
it's all about being unique in your own way right?
Old 5/6/07, 08:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Louie ,you have something to back it up. To me thats being smart and saving money
Old 5/6/07, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
Louie ,you have something to back it up. To me thats being smart and saving money
I agree, since you're making a lot of power, it's a little different. I still don't agree with the GT500 badges and stripe, even if you're making the power you still don't have a GT500, but to each their own.
Old 5/6/07, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

I personally would buy louie's car before a gt500 any day of the week, and twice on sundays.
Old 5/6/07, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
No its the very embodiment of hotrodding.
hotrodding in my book is buying a cheap car, and making it fast as hell. rice is making a car look fast that is not fast.
Old 5/6/07, 02:54 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

i appreciate the kind comments guys
Boltzman: i've spent over $62,000 USD so far on it :S
Being all the way across the world meant i had to spend loads on shipping.. not to mention the base price of the car was $35,000 USD (fully loaded)

Originally Posted by titanjc
I still don't agree with the GT500 badges and stripe
don't get me wrong, i'd change all my badges to GT550 if i could.. but i personally think the Cobra emblem fits the look!
Old 5/6/07, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Faber
hotrodding in my book is buying a cheap car, and making it fast as hell. rice is making a car look fast that is not fast.
well said
Old 5/6/07, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

rice is making a car look fast that is not fast.
To quote a favorite character of mine, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

As Marty pointed out before the word you are looking for is "poser" - trying to look like something you are not.

Taking what are tradionally considered aftermarker parts for japanese imports (neon undercarriage lights, huge wing, day-glo color schemes, fart cans, etc) and applying them would be "rice".

By your definition, I could put all of those things on a supercharged Mustang pushing 500hp and it not be rice. Also by our definition, to ferrari & viper owners all mustangs would be rice since they arent really fast in comparision.

P.S. my fuzzy dice add an additional 14hp.
Old 5/6/07, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mymojo
To quote a favorite character of mine, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

As Marty pointed out before the word you are looking for is "poser" - trying to look like something you are not.

Taking what are tradionally considered aftermarker parts for japanese imports (neon undercarriage lights, huge wing, day-glo color schemes, fart cans, etc) and applying them would be "rice".

By your definition, I could put all of those things on a supercharged Mustang pushing 500hp and it not be rice. Also by our definition, to ferrari & viper owners all mustangs would be rice since they arent really fast in comparision.

P.S. my fuzzy dice add an additional 14hp.
Fuzzy dice. that is hot rod.
Old 5/6/07, 08:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by G.T
i appreciate the kind comments guys
Boltzman: i've spent over
$62,000 USD
so far on it :S
Being all the way across the world meant i had to spend loads on shipping.. not to mention the base price of the car was $35,000 USD (fully loaded)

don't get me wrong, i'd change all my badges to GT550 if i could.. but i personally think the Cobra emblem fits the look!
Holy schiznit .
Why couldn't you call it a shelby if you bought a stocker and built it exactly(s/c and all)? The markup on these things is rediculous..one could save a pretty penny doing it themselves
Old 5/7/07, 01:57 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Holy schiznit .
Why couldn't you call it a shelby if you bought a stocker and built it exactly(s/c and all)? The markup on these things is rediculous..one could save a pretty penny doing it themselves
i could and i did.. even Shelby Automobiles liked it!

point of the matter here is, some claim the "GT500", Cobra and Shelby badges should only belong to the real thing, but i beg to differ.
the cobra is there to stay as it fits the theme..
Shelby Automobiles happily sent me their badges.. so i guess that's alright too!
Old 5/7/07, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

you are right about it being "to each his own" all i am saying is don't think you are fooling anybody when you rice up your ride thats all....sooner or later ve have to unpimp zee auto, and it ain't ever pretty to see a gorgeous GT500 get spanked by some v6 charger or some toothless camaro mullet with a calvin ****ing on mustangs sticker on the back window of his 92 rs camaro....
Haha, good post! I agree.

I kinda agree with both sides of the argument. I'm not down with "posing" or "ricing", but I also agree with "let people do what they want with their car and money"... then laugh at them..

What kinda ****es me off is the guy getting laid cuz some dumb club bimbo can't tell that his "M3" is really a 325i with a badge. Even worse are the guys with Ferrari lettering and badges on anything but a Ferrari.
Old 5/8/07, 02:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by G.T
i'm a clone.. and i'm proud of it, and the guys at Shelby like it too!

With the few additional touches, i think my car looks better than a GT500, not to mention unique.
and being a good 250-300 pounds lighter, and 50HP stronger, it's even faster than one.

bottom line is, whether or not you think my car is one of those Shelby conversion worthy.. i think to each their own!
it's all about being unique in your own way right?
That's a beautiful car Louie!

Originally Posted by clockworks
Haha, good post! I agree.

I kinda agree with both sides of the argument. I'm not down with "posing" or "ricing", but I also agree with "let people do what they want with their car and money"... then laugh at them..

What kinda ****es me off is the guy getting laid cuz some dumb club bimbo can't tell that his "M3" is really a 325i with a badge. Even worse are the guys with Ferrari lettering and badges on anything but a Ferrari.
Hmmm ... maybe I'll add a Ferrari badge or two.
What, you can't get laid?!
Old 5/8/07, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To each their own, but when you get right down to it, what does it really matter what anyone else thinks of another person's car? Unless someone else is making my car payment, I couldn't care less about other opinions.
Old 5/8/07, 11:13 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Ray Man

that car is AMAZINGLY hot

holy &^%^&@#

you just gave me two new wallpapers for here at work - NICE job!!!
she's beautiful
Old 5/8/07, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011

that car is AMAZINGLY hot

holy &^%^&@#

you just gave me two new wallpapers for here at work - NICE job!!!
she's beautiful
Hehe... thanks, you made my day! Enjoy the wallpaper.
Old 5/9/07, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't have much opinion either way anymore. The other night I was at the gas station and this kid from the back seat of a neon was yelling a bunch of crap including "it's not even a GT" because I have the pony badge on the trunk. At that point I realized that someone will always have something negative to say about your car, either out of jealousy or out of self-empowerment. Do whatever you want to your car, but don't cry about it when your park bench wing and Type R badges get smoked by an American V8.
Old 5/10/07, 12:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet

I really don't have much opinion either way anymore. I realized that someone will always have something negative to say about your car, either out of jealousy or out of self-empowerment. Do whatever you want to your car, but don't cry about it when your park bench wing and Type R badges get smoked by an American V8.
Amen!
Old 5/11/07, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Well it's official, I am writing off all GT500's, for now on, if I see a GT500 on the road I will automatically think its a clone until proven otherwise. With the growing popularity of the GT500 conversions, the GT500 will soon become another car on the road for me. "Oh wow a GT500 just drove by" Nope, sorry son, that was probably just a clone.

For me personally, the GT500 has lost all wow factor but that is just MHO.
Old 5/12/07, 12:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangcr8z
My definition of ricer: any car or motorcycle that was built by an Asian country ( Not american muscle ) hence the term "rice burner" or
"ricer "

and don't forget, 1.5 litre is a soda not an engine!
Heh, someone had a sig that said "how can your honda only have 1.6 litres when my Mountain Dew has 2?"

Quick Reply: shelby conversions and the rice factor