05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

shelby conversions and the rice factor

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/07, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shelby conversions and the rice factor

I am sure this is going to embitter some folks, but i gotta say it.

Isn't converting the GT to look like a shelby by all virtues the very definition of rice? I mean unless you are making some serious power you run the risk of running into competition on the street that may very well blow the doors off of a GT, but may not exactly be able to run down a shelby, and if they beat you then you have just marred the badges of every real shelby out on the street. I have seen quite a few cars up here that are worthy of the shelby badge and those cars are exempt from this rice shot....I am however firing a shot accross the bow of the charlatans that have a shelby badge on their GT or god forbid V6 stang.

let the flames begin.
Old 4/30/07, 04:32 PM
eci
Banned

Who gives a ****? Not something I'm into, I like the GT look better than the GT500.... but ***** size isn't dictated by my car's "badge".
Old 4/30/07, 04:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just think it looks good. I dont think putting EX wheels on an HF civic is rice either. Now put the shelby nose on the HF civic and thats a different story. I haven't seen people put the entire exact shelby package on a GT, stripes, emblems, and everything. Personally I only think the facia looks good, the hood and wing look porky.
Old 4/30/07, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
Who gives a ****? Not something I'm into, I like the GT look better than the GT500.... but ***** size isn't dictated by my car's "badge".
where in my post did I mention penises? If you wish to discuss erectile dysfunction please start your own thread.
Old 4/30/07, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 4/30/07, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Its all how you interpret the word "Rice"
I dont think converting the GT, V6 into the Shelby is rice.
Rice is when you are adding extreme parts on your ride, eg (huge spoiler, unfinished body parts, too many vents on your carbon fiber hood, roof scoop, huge fiberglass bumper, euro tail lights, etc)

just my $0.02
Old 4/30/07, 05:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lol rice is basically building your car with dozens of mods all costing less then $200 each
Old 4/30/07, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

...all depends on how big and high the wing will be.
Old 4/30/07, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

I would define rice as installing parts on your car that make the car look as if it can attain higher speeds that it can actually attain.

for instance The poeple that install a giant top fuel dragster wing on a 4 door toyota. Or someone badging a V6 with a GT badge, and installing dual exhaust, and fogs in order to make it "look" like they have a GT when they actually have a V6. these are examples of rice in my book. Now if you put a billet grille on a V6 stang, and a cs bumper or something, but kept it badged right then fine. then there are the sleepers, like the guy with a supercharger and nitrous on his v6 stang who eats v8 stangs for lunch, that is the anti-rice.

all show no go = Rice
exterior mods that are tasteful = not rice
all go no show = sleeper
Real GT500 = cool
V6 with GT500 badges and body kit = Rice
Old 4/30/07, 06:51 PM
V6 Member

If you have the performance to back it up and your car is the spitting image of the GT500 - no problem.

If you've got a GT500 clone with V6 performance figures, problem.

If you've used parts of the Shelby to create your own design - no problem.
Old 4/30/07, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

yes.
Old 4/30/07, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Do you consider it rice to put the front facia on your GT and put a GT or a pony badge in the grill? If a V6 or a GT puts the Cobra badges on I think that it's wrong, only a Cobra should have Cobra badges.
Old 4/30/07, 08:19 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

This debate never seems to end no matter how many threads we bash on each other.

I'll bite:
If they beat you then you have just marred the badges of every real shelby out on the street
I keep seeing this arguement brought up. What's to stop someone from saying they beat a real GT500 even if they didn't? People are known to stretch the truth. Or maybe a real GT 500 owner wasn't giving it his all and let the teenage street racer in the civic "win" in order to not kill some innocent bystander.
OBTW, I just killed a Viper in my wife's Mazda MPV. Prove I didn't.
Old 4/30/07, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
OBTW, I just killed a Viper in my wife's Mazda MPV. Prove I didn't.
see, thats what i feel about that argument as well.
like some kid going on www.stupidricers.com or whatever saying that he beat a GT500 in his ScionXB is going to destroy all street-cred the shelby has.

rice or not rice, whatever. do what you like.
Old 4/30/07, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

i see what you are saying, but ultimately the guy with the V6 with cobras all over it sooner or later will be put to the test....and will look like a toolbox when some kid in a civic blows his doors off...and then laughs.

you are right about it being "to each his own" all i am saying is don't think you are fooling anybody when you rice up your ride thats all....sooner or later ve have to unpimp zee auto, and it ain't ever pretty to see a gorgeous GT500 get spanked by some v6 charger or some toothless camaro mullet with a calvin ****ing on mustangs sticker on the back window of his 92 rs camaro....
Old 4/30/07, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
see, thats what i feel about that argument as well.
like some kid going on www.stupidricers.com or whatever saying that he beat a GT500 in his ScionXB is going to destroy all street-cred the shelby has.

rice or not rice, whatever. do what you like.
You think anyone with the slightest bit of common sense is going to believe a cardboard box on wheels with 15 monitors and 15" spinner rims beat a full blown GT500? If anyone believes that its going to be that Scion Kids mom(who knows nothing about cars) or his dog(who is incapable of rational thought).

I think you all worry too much about "street cred" Like AFBlue already mentioned, whats gonna stop a group of trashcan muffler kids from saying they beat a GT500/GT or anything for that matter? Heck, hey guys. yesterday I PWNED a street bike. yeah...

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
...all depends on how big and high the wing will be.
Haha +1

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Im with him... My 2cents.
Old 4/30/07, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Rice is definde as having alot of stickers of parts you do not have, having emblems that do not even belong on that make of car, huge wing that does nothing but look nasty, crazy and unneeded bodykit, big fart can, and a paint job that just does not belong on a car
Old 4/30/07, 09:37 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

having emblems that do not even belong on that make of car
You just reminded me of something. I had a 94 Mazda 929 and I removed the "929" badge and stuck it on my mom's Toyota Corolla as a joke. I guess that makes me a ricer; or maybe my mom was the ricer since it was her car
Old 4/30/07, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

i agree 100%. its rice!
Old 4/30/07, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

it looks nice, but...

yeah i kinda agree, esp. when the jump is from V6 to gt500.
that is kinda rice.

like v6's with stripes, no offense, but it bugs me.

Quick Reply: shelby conversions and the rice factor