05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

shelby conversions and the rice factor

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/07, 12:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well finally there's a 'which one would you take' car that would force me to pick the Halibrand.
Old 5/2/07, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm convinced that the halibrand does not actually exist anyway....just try and buy one...I dare you.
Old 5/2/07, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I've got a pretty good take on what is ricer and what is not.

You shouldn't be making your car into something it's not.
There are tasteful designs and themes to each V6, GT, and Shelby. Unless you can back it up with power, you shouldn't be crossing the line from V6 to GT or GT to Shelby. As always, there are some exceptions; for example, if you buy a V6 rather than a GT due to insurance cost and then proceed to drop a V8 in it and change its cosmetics, that should be considered an acceptable GT and in my book bears the right to display the GT badge. Bottom line, wear and honor the badge your car deserves. For example, I'm gonna do a Shelby front end conversion on my V6, and retain a Pony emblem in the corner. I understand that it's important to make your ride unique, but it should honor it's performance on and off the road by displaying the badge it deserves.
Old 5/2/07, 05:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
being a shelby poser is like wearing a bad toupee...trying to have something you don't
not trying to be a hater..but you would think that these people would stop and think"Hey everyone is laughing at me"
Attached Images  
Old 5/2/07, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I just beat an F-16 to 100 mph. The tug that was towing it only had a flathead six in it though.

07 Hoss
Old 5/3/07, 09:50 PM
GT Member

my def of rice

My definition of ricer: any car or motorcycle that was built by an Asian country ( Not american muscle ) hence the term "rice burner" or
"ricer "

and don't forget, 1.5 litre is a soda not an engine!
Old 5/5/07, 02:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hold the keyboard!!! Ease up on the huge wings. The Cobra R came from the factory with a huge wing and nobody called rice. I happen to have a huge wing and I love it. Where is it written that a Mustang can have this and not that? True, some folks go to the extreme, but no need to get your sack in a twist because you don't like what someone did to THEIR car.
Old 5/5/07, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Faber
I am sure this is going to embitter some folks, but i gotta say it.

Isn't converting the GT to look like a shelby by all virtues the very definition of rice? I mean unless you are making some serious power you run the risk of running into competition on the street that may very well blow the doors off of a GT, but may not exactly be able to run down a shelby, and if they beat you then you have just marred the badges of every real shelby out on the street. I have seen quite a few cars up here that are worthy of the shelby badge and those cars are exempt from this rice shot....I am however firing a shot accross the bow of the charlatans that have a shelby badge on their GT or god forbid V6 stang.

let the flames begin.
No its the very embodiment of hotrodding.
Old 5/5/07, 05:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
see, thats what i feel about that argument as well.
like some kid going on www.stupidricers.com or whatever saying that he beat a GT500 in his ScionXB is going to destroy all street-cred the shelby has.

rice or not rice, whatever. do what you like.
bull ****
Old 5/5/07, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

oops double post
Old 5/5/07, 06:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Faber
fully! that is all i am saying! put the gt500 front fascia on your car, i think that it looks great too! put the cobra and shelby badging on it.....and it is rice...
So I guess my 05 Five Hundred is rice. It has the Bullets on it that came on my 05 Mustang GT. Its untolerent thinking that's the rice here in my opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 5/5/07, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

IMHO a fake Shelby is not rice. However I do not agree with converting any Mustang to a fake Shelby no matter what the reason. For some reason it takes away from the Shelby mystique but thats just me
Old 5/5/07, 07:23 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
Its all how you interpret the word "Rice"
I dont think converting the GT, V6 into the Shelby is rice.
Rice is when you are adding extreme parts on your ride, eg (huge spoiler, unfinished body parts, too many vents on your carbon fiber hood, roof scoop, huge fiberglass bumper, euro tail lights, etc)

just my $0.02
+1

Originally Posted by 8905GT
IMHO a fake Shelby is not rice. However I do not agree with converting any Mustang to a fake Shelby no matter what the reason. For some reason it takes away from the Shelby mystique but thats just me
+1
Old 5/5/07, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

My definition of ricer: any car or motorcycle that was built by an Asian country ( Not american muscle ) hence the term "rice burner" or
"ricer" and don't forget, 1.5 litre is a soda not an engine!

Agreed. And don't forget, one of our lug nuts takes more torque than a ricer engine makes....

Willie
Old 5/5/07, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Martimus
In my mind the bottom line is simple... what does it matter if you take a Timex watch and put it a Rolex box? So long as you don't try to pass it off as a Rolex you're ok. The minute you mis-represent it and tell people its the new commemorative Timex Rolex you're treading on very thin ice.

Putting GT emblems on a V6, GT500 emblems on a GT, or Cobra emblems on anything other than a Cobra tends to be problematic. Installing GT500 or California Special bumper covers, on the other hand, aren't...

And there's my 2 cents worth.
Martimus has it 100% correct here IMO. I think the cars that have the GT500 fascia, hood, headlights, rear bumper, spoiler, wheels, or whatever other body part they choose to install look GREAT. I love the body of the GT500, I think we all do. Now, where these people cross the line is when the Cobra badge goes on the front, rear, and sides, and the GT500 rocker stripe gets slapped on the side of the car. Come on. Really?

Why do people try to pass their car off as something that it is not? That's where the problem arises, especially if the car in question is a V6. The GT500 has a lot of heritage, almost a mythology behind it. Whether you like it or not, those of you that misbadge your cars ARE marring the GT500 name, and spoiling it for those people who actually dropped the coin for the real thing.
Old 5/5/07, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
Martimus has it 100% correct here IMO. I think the cars that have the GT500 fascia, hood, headlights, rear bumper, spoiler, wheels, or whatever other body part they choose to install look GREAT. I love the body of the GT500, I think we all do. Now, where these people cross the line is when the Cobra badge goes on the front, rear, and sides, and the GT500 rocker stripe gets slapped on the side of the car. Come on. Really?

Why do people try to pass their car off as something that it is not? That's where the problem arises, especially if the car in question is a V6. The GT500 has a lot of heritage, almost a mythology behind it. Whether you like it or not, those of you that misbadge your cars ARE marring the GT500 name, and spoiling it for those people who actually dropped the coin for the real thing.
Cloning has been going on for years and really there is nothing wrong with it. They will never get the money they put into it back so it is thier car. I do see a problem if they try to sell it as such.
One qustion thou, why does cloning matter more if its a V6 as opposed to a regular GT. Neither carry the same motor as the GT500.

BTW marring the GT500 will not be easy ever! Carrol Shelby himself stated that the GT500 really have no meaning just numbers it the $$$$$ that the car draws that make it special.
Old 5/5/07, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by paradigm1220
I think I've got a pretty good take on what is ricer and what is not.

You shouldn't be making your car into something it's not. There are tasteful designs and themes to each V6, GT, and Shelby. Unless you can back it up with power, you shouldn't be crossing the line from V6 to GT or GT to Shelby. As always, there are some exceptions; for example, if you buy a V6 rather than a GT due to insurance cost and then proceed to drop a V8 in it and change its cosmetics, that should be considered an acceptable GT and in my book bears the right to display the GT badge. Bottom line, wear and honor the badge your car deserves. For example, I'm gonna do a Shelby front end conversion on my V6, and retain a Pony emblem in the corner. I understand that it's important to make your ride unique, but it should honor it's performance on and off the road by displaying the badge it deserves.
I say +1 on this as well even if I'm condriticting myself with the above response.
Old 5/5/07, 11:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rmays06
Cloning has been going on for years and really there is nothing wrong with it. They will never get the money they put into it back so it is thier car. I do see a problem if they try to sell it as such.
One qustion thou, why does cloning matter more if its a V6 as opposed to a regular GT. Neither carry the same motor as the GT500.

BTW marring the GT500 will not be easy ever! Carrol Shelby himself stated that the GT500 really have no meaning just numbers it the $$$$$ that the car draws that make it special.
As far as why cloning with a V6 base is worse than cloning with a GT base... I'm big on performance. I think it's a slap in the face to the real GT500's to have a 15 second car running around out there with stickers on it saying it's a high 12 second car. Don't get me wrong, I still think that cloning a GT500 with a GT is WRONG, but at least a GT can be a low 13 second car with only a few modifications, and sounds like a proper V8 performance car should as well. It's still not going to sound like a GT500 or have nearly the performance, but at least if a GT clone got into a street race, a Nissan Maxima isn't going to be able to say that it beat a "GT500".

I don't like the idea of people underestimating what is a fantastic automobile. Cloning a GT500 just cheapens it for the people who ponied up (no pun intended ) for the real thing.
Old 5/6/07, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
As far as why cloning with a V6 base is worse than cloning with a GT base... I'm big on performance. I think it's a slap in the face to the real GT500's to have a 15 second car running around out there with stickers on it saying it's a high 12 second car. Don't get me wrong, I still think that cloning a GT500 with a GT is WRONG, but at least a GT can be a low 13 second car with only a few modifications, and sounds like a proper V8 performance car should as well. It's still not going to sound like a GT500 or have nearly the performance, but at least if a GT clone got into a street race, a Nissan Maxima isn't going to be able to say that it beat a "GT500".

I don't like the idea of people underestimating what is a fantastic automobile. Cloning a GT500 just cheapens it for the people who ponied up (no pun intended ) for the real thing.
+1 I'm with you. But V6 or GT its wrong either way...no more or less!
BTW I'm one of the ones who believes that the GT500 is an instant classic, I hate those who hate on it and the bad that gets talked about it. I think they made a near perfect car (heavy as a pig) for the money!
Old 5/6/07, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rmays06
+1 I'm with you. But V6 or GT its wrong either way...no more or less!
BTW I'm one of the ones who believes that the GT500 is an instant classic, I hate those who hate on it and the bad that gets talked about it. I think they made a near perfect car (heavy as a pig) for the money!
Definitely with you on ALL of that!

Quick Reply: shelby conversions and the rice factor