05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/08, 12:04 PM
Den
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, mine are completely shot too. Over the weekend I wanted to see if I could just make one up myself with hardware store stuff. I probably could come up with something but nowhere near as good as the ones that come with the kit.

The swivils are actually two parts. The larger part is called a "strap end" and the ball end is called a "ball and shank". The other end is called a "stamped eye". Then you need to find stainless steel, vinyl coated "wire rope". I found a few places on the net that have this stuff but they do not look like retail sellers. Oh ya, I forgot to mention, to put everthing together you need a speical tool called a "swager". I guess these are not like a simple electrical crimping tool. It takes a lot more pressure to close these connectors up.

I did hit a few hardware stores and the best I could find were galvanized vinyl coated wire rope. As far as the hardware - no luck at all.

So I guess we have to depend on Scott Drake to make them better. This is critical for me since I live in Chicago and these things are going to get a salt bath this winter!

Good luck!

If anyone can come up with a way to make a set cheap, please post it here.

Dennis

Last edited by Den; 9/29/08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a huge fan of the lanyards to begin with. I've wondered why they don't modify the design of the lynch pins so that they push through the center pin hole, then either have a small nut you can screw on, something that expands, or some other design that would keep them from backing out better than the ring that folds over onto the lynch pin. I've noticed that my lynch pins will walk a little bit unless I keep the center pin adjusted so that there is slight pressure on the lynch pin to keep it in place. If the hood pin sits a little high, then the lynch pin flops around. I know there are other designs out there that do not use a lanyard, but I like the look of the SD pins.
Old 10/2/08, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
SD sent me mine within a week of contacting them. Keeping my fingers crossed but not hopeful.
Old 10/6/08, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update...Just got off the phone with Shelby and they are sending me cables and pins..no cost.