05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/08, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aircare84
Mike,
Sorry to hear the problems you're having with them.
Glad for the input though, I've been planning on buying a set myself.
Put them on hold for now.

Nice pics of your wifes Bullitt on MFs

Hey, thanks Bud, appreciate it. Yeah, the Bullitt is definitely kick ***.....love driven it....when I can......LOL....

So I am going to try and get some pics today of the new lanyards, and send another E Mail to Scott Drake. I just don't get this. I seriously have not washed the car since replacing the lanyards, as there has been no rain in So Cal. It has not been that humid, to speak of....So the only thing I can think of is detail spray, but it's not like the lanyards get sprayed directly.......

Who knows, but it sure is irritating.......

Mike
Old 9/2/08, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm that sound so stupid. If they are gonna make a product that suppose too look good and last why in the heck is it rusting? crappy company in my opinon...
Old 9/2/08, 04:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 429 Boss Mustang
hmm that sound so stupid. If they are gonna make a product that suppose too look good and last why in the heck is it rusting? crappy company in my opinon...
not the company,just that product. will the Sparco pins cover the hole made by these?
Attached Thumbnails Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem-cimg3145.jpg   Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem-cimg2778.jpg  
Old 9/3/08, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I just sent an E Mail to Scott Drake with these pictures of the "replacement lanyards" that have now been on the car all of 4 weeks......

Old 9/5/08, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

This has me a bit concerned as I just ordered a set of the Scott Drake pins from partscheap.com. Nevermind that I ordered them on 8/26 and they still are not in. I guess I am spoiled by some other vendors, such as zappos.com for shoes, that seem to ship as soon as you place the order. I've received products from Summit within a few days of placing orders as well. It seems two weeks or more for car parts is rather common. I wonder if a fix would be to simply purchase some different plastic coated cable from another source and swap it in? One should not have to do it, but as an option maybe. I know many hardware stores sell plastic coated steel cable by the foot.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 9/5/08 at 09:49 AM.
Old 9/5/08, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I ordered mine from cheap parts and it arrived in about a week?
Old 9/5/08, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
So I just sent an E Mail to Scott Drake with these pictures of the "replacement lanyards" that have now been on the car all of 4 weeks......

I wonder if one were to seal the ends of the plastic with silicone just to keep the moisture out? I would think that would do it . Or maybe a sealing type of heat shrink.
Old 9/5/08, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cop on my back
I wonder if one were to seal the ends of the plastic with silicone just to keep the moisture out? I would think that would do it . Or maybe a sealing type of heat shrink.
My guess would be that there is already moisture in the cables and sealing it would not help. I am no scientist, but it would seem that sealing it would be like when you close off a bottle tight and then later you still see condensation and moisture inside even though the cap is closed tightly. I am guessing though that it depends on whether or not the cable is just sheathed in plastic allowing air space in between the strands and the plastic coating, or whether it is maybe dipped in the plastic allowing it to impregnate into the strands and sealing it better. I've never looked close enough at the cables to tell. Could it be that the cable itself is not stainless and low grade metal?
Old 9/5/08, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
My guess would be that there is already moisture in the cables and sealing it would not help. I am no scientist, but it would seem that sealing it would be like when you close off a bottle tight and then later you still see condensation and moisture inside even though the cap is closed tightly. I am guessing though that it depends on whether or not the cable is just sheathed in plastic allowing air space in between the strands and the plastic coating, or whether it is maybe dipped in the plastic allowing it to impregnate into the strands and sealing it better. I've never looked close enough at the cables to tell. Could it be that the cable itself is not stainless and low grade metal?
Probably correct. Where I work (will remain nameless) I will get nice stainless ones made up here better than anything that is comercially available.
Old 9/6/08, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Myabe your company should replace Scott Drake's supplier for cables. I'll bet they offshore their products to China or somewhere in that neighborhood. If not the entire product, then parts of it anyway.
Old 9/6/08, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I sent an email for replacements almost two weeks ago. Nothing yet...
Old 9/6/08, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got an e-mail I am assuming from partscheap.com which shows a UPS shipping arrival of Monday, so we shall see how they look.
Old 9/7/08, 02:11 PM

I'm happy with the basic stainless pins. Not nearly as fancy, but they've been on for at least a year & a half with no rust issues to date.
Old 9/8/08, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine finally showed up today. They look great so I will take pics of them before the install, then over the course of the next few months. My car is a daily driver so it will see the high heats of the fading summer here in Ca., then the rains of winter. We'll see how they hold up.
Old 9/11/08, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had mine replaced once and the "new batch" of lanyards is already starting to split and rust on the swivle end. It will start sliding down the cable next
Old 9/11/08, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06
I have had mine replaced once and the "new batch" of lanyards is already starting to split and rust on the swivle end. It will start sliding down the cable next
Make sure you send an E Mail to Scott Drake. They finally got back to me, and could not believe my second set was already rusting.....

They are sending yet another replacement set, but have asked me to keep the first replacement set, in case their R&D Department want to analyze them......They swear they did extensive testing on the new ones, and are guessing their MAY be a slight chance some of the old ones got mixed in with the new ones......

Mike
Old 9/13/08, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Second replacement set arrived today, and are now installed....Lets see how long the third set lasts.......
Old 9/13/08, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

My mother-in-law just got here today and brought the hood pins with her (had them shipped to her place). They look good, not sure when I am going to get time to install them, but will post some pics when it is done.
Old 9/14/08, 07:57 AM
GTR Member

Why not go with laynardless pins? Unless you love laynards of course
Old 9/14/08, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
I sent an email for replacements almost two weeks ago. Nothing yet...
Bummer, in the past I had good luck with them shoot them a email reminder just in case.

Jed

Quick Reply: Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem