05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/08, 09:49 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem

For those of you that have bought the Scott Drake (Shellby) hood pins, how are yours holding up? The lanyards on mine have turned into quite the mess. The manufacturer has agreed to replace them as this is not the first time someone has complained about the plastic tearing, changing colour and the ball joint rusting. Here are some pics that show why the lanyards need to be replaced.

Old 8/1/08, 09:51 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should mention that if you do have a problem, contact Scott Drake industries. The customer service is awesome!
Old 8/1/08, 10:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
I should mention that if you do have a problem, contact Scott Drake industries. The customer service is awesome!
Adrenalin - Houston here, please reset Main Bus "B" circuit breaker and prepare for an early OMS De-orbit Burn with landing translation in Rota.
Old 8/1/08, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

I've got the same problem. I've only had them for a few months. The lanyard cables are even rusting inside their casing. I've contacted Scott Drake and hope to resolve this quality problem.
Old 8/1/08, 03:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have they changed the materials to correct this? my guess is no. More than likely its not aluminum. Just a guess
Old 8/1/08, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

Just got an email from Scott Drake Enterpises an hour after I wrote them. They said they had a problem with a batch of them and they're more than happy to send me a new set. Great and prompt customer service!
Old 8/1/08, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

You know, I love to hear stories like this. Customer service is so important, something all companies need to know and practice. I have been thinking about getting hood pins for a while and this is the style I have been leaning towards. Reading this thread will likely cause me to by from these guys.

BMR is another company I have had direct dealings with (purchased their product) that has similar customer service.
Old 8/2/08, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, same issue with mine. Lanyards rusted under the coating, coating around swivel tore, etc. Oh, and let's not forget how easily the black painted pins scratch thru the black down to silver....

I just replaced my lanyards last week. But, they do not have the nice swivel on the end. Is Scott Drake demanding return of the old lanyards?? Mine went in the trash.....

Mike

EDIT.....After reading this post, I just pulled up Scott Drake site, and sent E Mail pertaining to issues...We shall see what response I get....

Thx,
Mike

Last edited by Got Oatz; 8/2/08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 8/18/08, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I was planning on picking up a set of these myself. I do have some question though. First, where is the best place to buy them? Shelby sells them and they have the plain ones that I want. Second, is there a write up anywhere on these with pics? I am a little nervous about drilling into my hood.
Old 8/18/08, 10:59 AM
Big Falken Tires

I got my replacement lanyards within a week of contacting them via email (and a response to my email within two hours)

VERY good customer service from them

I got my pin set from partscheap.com
Old 8/18/08, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
I got my replacement lanyards within a week of contacting them via email (and a response to my email within two hours)

VERY good customer service from them

I got my pin set from partscheap.com
I got my pins from Blueovalindustries.com I too had the lanyard issue. Sent them an E Mail on a Saturday, got a response on Monday, and had replacement lanyards within a week. Good service. Originally, their e mail said that the replacement lanyards would not have the plastic cover over the swivel, but they do.....Nice.......

Mike
Old 8/20/08, 01:00 AM
V6 Member

Got my replacement lanyards today. They came with the covered swivel ends connected to new pins too. Scott Drake has superb customer service and quick response to problems.
Old 8/21/08, 11:20 AM
Big Falken Tires

YES can't say enough about the customer service!!

Just a note though I got in my email - those new lanyard that have the plastic covers - the plastic sheath part is still made with the same material as the old ones. They were trying to get replacements for that plastic piece as well that would resist water/weather the way they needed and weren't able to get it locked down.

He said since they are more of an appearance thing that an functionality thing and because of that, they would be leaving them off the lanyards in the kits in the future.

He suggested I just go ahead and cut them off the new lanyards with the rust resistant swivels before install as the plastic would eventually start to deteriorate.
Old 8/21/08, 11:27 AM
V6 Member

I have them but no problems like that yet. But I'm glad to hear they will replace them if needed quickly
Old 8/23/08, 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can you get these directly through Scott Drake, or do you have to go through a different distributor. What kind of money are we talking for a set?
Old 8/23/08, 10:39 AM
Big Falken Tires

I used partscheap.com a vendor on here - great guy

think I paid about $90?
Old 8/23/08, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mine are completely shot... Rusting and plastic tearing.

Last edited by JonCo; 8/23/08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 8/23/08, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
I used partscheap.com a vendor on here - great guy

think I paid about $90?
Thanks. I just placed my order. Hopefully they will be shipped within 2 weeks so my mother-in-law can bring them with her to my place (in Canada).

UPS across the border is a PITA!!
Old 9/1/08, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
I got my pins from Blueovalindustries.com I too had the lanyard issue. Sent them an E Mail on a Saturday, got a response on Monday, and had replacement lanyards within a week. Good service. Originally, their e mail said that the replacement lanyards would not have the plastic cover over the swivel, but they do.....Nice.......

Mike
So, two weeks later......And the new lanyards are beginning to rust already....And I have not even washed the car...WTF??????

Are these things allergic to detail spray, or what??????
Old 9/1/08, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mike,
Sorry to hear the problems you're having with them.
Glad for the input though, I've been planning on buying a set myself.
Put them on hold for now.

Nice pics of your wifes Bullitt on MFs

Quick Reply: Scott Drake hoodpins - houston, we have a problem