05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

New Smooth Line Hard Top For Verts

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/11, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay. I just figured the 'cloth' top was weatherproof enough not to warrant a hard top. Plus, at 65lbs, it doesn't sound to 'flexible' for one person.
Do you get a lot of road noise with a vert? Never had one. Perhaps a hardtop would help that.

Just asking...
Old 1/27/11, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suppose that a vert with one of these on it (with the soft top, frame, top motor, etc. removed) would weigh in less than factory coupe? if you were building a track only car, it might be worth it......
Old 1/28/11, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RMB427R
Okay. I just figured the 'cloth' top was weatherproof enough not to warrant a hard top. Plus, at 65lbs, it doesn't sound to 'flexible' for one person.
Do you get a lot of road noise with a vert? Never had one. Perhaps a hardtop would help that.

Just asking...
Modern tops have long lives. If you live in an area where you can take the top down year round then there really isn't a use for a hardtop cover, but like I was saying they make a pretty big difference in the colder climates... Better heat retention and less wear and tear on the rag top overall.

You're right about the weight, though. It's a two-person job. Even the hard top covers for the small roadsters like the S2000s require two sets of hands. This one might even need a third since it's so large.
Old 1/28/11, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RMB427R

Just asking...

My 06 Vert was the quietest convertible I ever owned and was my daily driver year round. I had soft & hard top for my 1979 Triumph Spitfire back in the day, and it was nice.
It's only $$$$, if ya have $$$$ and want it, get it. That's what I say.
Old 1/28/11, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
If you plan to drive the car year round and see some cold winter temps where you won't ever be taking the top down a hard top is a nice thing to have.
I would have thought your heater is good enough regardless of the top, at least for people in the front. As for people in the back...well you obviously don't like them anyway if you're making them sit in the back seat of a Mustang
Old 1/30/11, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, regardless of the reasons, it looks like they got it right and it looks good. I agree that it's only money..
Old 2/8/11, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Top looks good. Glad they built it, best of both.
Old 2/7/12, 01:44 PM

Nice look

There are plenty of reasons to have a hard top shell instead of the fabric. I live in a neighborhood where if you have a convertible they cut out the back window and take what they want. Another reason is the rag top look. I think they look a little funny. The hard tops are more sporty and sexy, especially with the window scoops which you cant put on a rag top. Wish the hard top shells where a little lighter and came painted at that price though. The look is a lot nicer than the hard top shells like on the Porsche 911's and the Miata's. I'd say its a good buy all around and looks great.
Old 2/7/12, 03:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
holy couple year old thread batman!

I owned a 2006 vert. I learned the first week to simply never keep anything in the car. I always put things in the trunk out of sight. Also if you got a vert you should of got the the motion sensor.
Old 11/13/13, 12:26 PM

I would really recommend not buying this top unless you are living in California where it does not rain. I purchased a top from them for my mustang and I can not keep the rain out of the car because the top is mis-contoured to the header. Smoothline insist that it is Fords building tolerances that are bad and the ONLY support Smoothline offered me was the advise that I will need to take it to a “leak detective”. This I did. However, he told me it would cost up to $2,400 to fix the brand new top, but he wouldn’t warranty the work and that in any case, since the fit was soooo bad- he wouldn’t touch the job anyway. It cost me $2,500 for my top, a couple of extras and shipping- and now it is sitting in the space in my garage where my car should be. A total white elephant. Don’t expect any after sales support- you are on your own. Visit smoothline hardtops on facebook.
Old 11/13/13, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Man sorry to hear that & the lack of support for something this expensive is inexcusable. put them on blast everywhere and report them to the Better Business Bureau