05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Lower 0.5"...

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
A full gas tank brings the rear end down about 1/4". I checked.
Old 8/2/06, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangNut
A full gas tank brings the rear end down about 1/4". I checked.
You and H&R, apparently.
Old 8/2/06, 11:13 AM

Yes, but the rear needs to be dropped more than the front. Even with a full tank of gas.

The biggest problem is the way Ford designed the car. First, the body itself has a raked look built into it so even if the rocker panel was exactly parallel to the ground, the car would still look like it was slanted.

Also, if you could make it level there'd be a much bigger wheel well gap in the front than in the back.

Sucks either way.
Old 8/2/06, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, but the rear needs to be dropped more than the front. Even with a full tank of gas.

The biggest problem is the way Ford designed the car. First, the body itself has a raked look built into it so even if the rocker panel was exactly parallel to the ground, the car would still look like it was slanted.

Also, if you could make it level there'd be a much bigger wheel well gap in the front than in the back.

Sucks either way.
I know what you're saying - there is no escaping the rake completely because it is by design. A lot of cars are done the same way. Just look at the front and rear wheel arches relative to the door moulding on most cars and you can see that. It gives it a dynamic look even when not in motion. I don't mind it. At least you never really get the sense that it is going uphill.
Old 8/9/06, 03:29 AM
Bullitt Member

i think, i just found the perfect lowering kit.

Steeda's Ultralite lowering kit for 05-06...drops 1" front and 1.25" rear.

Now...does anyone have these installed and can post some pics.
Old 8/10/06, 08:52 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's amazing how large that small distance can look.
As soon as I put in my rear springs, I thought I had done something wrong because the back looked a lot lower than what I expected. But when I took new measurements, it was only 1-1/16" drop.
Jason,I'm thinking of getting Steeda rear springs. I really don't want to do the front though. How do you like the rear only and do you think I should get rear adjustable shocks for a softer ride??
Old 8/10/06, 09:56 PM

Chuck,
I don't think you'll notice much difference in the ride quality. I felt more of a change going to the 18" wheels than doing the springs.
The one negative would have to be that the wheel well gap is larger in the front than in the back. However, I think only us Mustangers would even notice it.
But that is greatly outweighed by how much it improves the look of the car. And the best part is that it actually makes the back of the car look smaller. Which, IMO, looked fat and bloated.

Hey, in 3 weeks you can see how it looks in person at the MCA show.
Old 8/11/06, 09:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chuck,
I don't think you'll notice much difference in the ride quality. I felt more of a change going to the 18" wheels than doing the springs.
The one negative would have to be that the wheel well gap is larger in the front than in the back. However, I think only us Mustangers would even notice it.
But that is greatly outweighed by how much it improves the look of the car. And the best part is that it actually makes the back of the car look smaller. Which, IMO, looked fat and bloated.

Hey, in 3 weeks you can see how it looks in person at the MCA show.
Do you have to buy 4 springs or can you just buy 2?? I wish I could go to the MCA show. Unfortunately someones gotta pay the bills around here
Old 8/12/06, 11:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Put a bag of concrete in the trunk for a .5" drop
Old 8/12/06, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Do you have to buy 4 springs or can you just buy 2?? I wish I could go to the MCA show. Unfortunately someones gotta pay the bills around here
No. Not if you buy their standard springs. (I forget what they're called) You can buy just the rears and they're only a little over half of what a full set would cost.