38.55%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/07, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xlayedoutx
How was the lifting issue fixed. Mines being installed this weekend and I just want to be prepared.
CRAZY GLUE ????
Old 4/28/07, 09:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I love the GTAP scoop. If it was funtional, it would be icing in the cake.
Old 5/7/07, 03:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just offered to exchange my scoopless hood for one with the GTAP scoop installed from factory. Ever since I got rid of the CDC Shaker I kinda miss the "scooped" look, but I'm not completely sold on the GTAP one, mainly because of the fact that (even on black) the honeycomb insert is too visible and anyone can see the scoop is not functional/open. Both hoods are almost new (<300 miles) and both are black (no painting required). The guy is even offering a set of clear turnsignals as a bonus on the deal... what do I do, I'm so confused! So, my question for the GTAP scoop group is: how visible is it that the scoop is non-functional?

Btw, if I do go for it, my car will look just like SteelTownStang's (save for the emblems): http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53220
Old 5/7/07, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louie
I was just offered to exchange my scoopless hood for one with the GTAP scoop installed from factory. Ever since I got rid of the CDC Shaker I kinda miss the "scooped" look, but I'm not completely sold on the GTAP one, mainly because of the fact that (even on black) the honeycomb insert is too visible and anyone can see the scoop is not functional/open. Both hoods are almost new (<300 miles) and both are black (no painting required). The guy is even offering a set of clear turnsignals as a bonus on the deal... what do I do, I'm so confused! So, my question for the GTAP scoop group is: how visible is it that the scoop is non-functional?

Btw, if I do go for it, my car will look just like SteelTownStang's (save for the emblems): http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53220
Never bothered me that the honeycomb is visible and the fact that someone may notice that it isn't functional. I love the look of it. However, you may be able to cut out the honeybomb area making it look like the real deal....
Old 5/14/07, 12:59 AM
GT Member

Just got mine installed. I do have the lifting issue in the rear corners and currently coming up with something to take care of it but I only notice it because its my car. I've had a few other people ride and comment on how they liked the scoop, but no one said anything about the lifting untill I pointed it out. Love the look though and I'm sure I'll come up with something to fix the lifting.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-101_0707_1024x768.jpg   Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-101_0708_1024x768.jpg  
Old 5/25/07, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice indeed!
That hood scoop looks GREAT!
Old 5/26/07, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
Good taste!!! Make sure it sits flat all around when you get it. Mine was lifted in the rear corners and had to fix it myself.
How did you do that? Mine doesn't sit perfectly flat...there's like a mm gap in some spots...
Old 5/26/07, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
How did you do that? Mine doesn't sit perfectly flat...there's like a mm gap in some spots...
My scoop did not sit flat on the rear corners. I removed the scoop, then I heated it up from the bottom side...in the middle. Used a little force to bend it and cooled it off with water. It actually took a couple of tries to get it right. Now it sits flat.
Old 5/28/07, 09:37 AM

Scoop installed

2005 Mineral Grey GT with new GT/CS scoop installed
Attached Thumbnails Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-p1000133-large-.jpg   Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-p1000128-large-.jpg  
Old 5/28/07, 09:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No plastic bug scoop on my aluminum hood thank you very much, save it for a civic.
Old 5/28/07, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
No plastic bug scoop on my aluminum hood thank you very much, save it for a civic.
Truthfully, I'm almost embarassed by the fake scoop....but I bought the car thinking I could do the CDC Shaker hood thing...come to find out the holes fromt he fake scoop are wider apart than the hole for the CDC....so I either keep it and live with it....or I find a smooth hood to swap it for.
Old 5/28/07, 10:31 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's always the aftermarket replacement hood option. Lots of nice choices out there including the CDC/Foose and Saleen alumimium hoods.

To go with the GT/CS theme, I think a 68 style hood would be sweet.
http://alliance247.com/product.php?p...bb9cc24b87b60d

Old 5/28/07, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
There's always the aftermarket replacement hood option. Lots of nice choices out there including the CDC/Foose and Saleen alumimium hoods.

You're right! I had a non GT/CS '68 (White 289 v8 2Bbl 3spd Auto...my 2nd Mustang), and the heat extraction vents had turn signal lights/indicators.. pretty cool...shoulda never sold that car...

Anyway, I like the 2nd one you linked, the 1st had too high a cowl, but the 2nd is actually more like the '68 hood in that the vents are further back and the cowl height is "normal"....that IS a nice hood. That and a CDC ducktail spoiler, and I've got me a '68-style '07 GT/CS....thanks for the idea and pic!
Old 5/28/07, 12:16 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem. We're here to help.
Old 6/2/07, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Seems like anything you don't like is either gay or a waste of money. I got my shaker strictly for appearance any peformance gain is just icing on the cake. So your comment "to expensive for nothing" is all relative. With that said thank you for not choosing the Shaker it makes my car that much more unique.

My vote-No scoop. Buy a new hood that you like.

Here's a pic of my /Expensive shaker.
My car has a shaker as well, but its plain black with no numbers on it. Maybe when I get back, I'll post a poll on the over all looks of the car. I have been searching the web for two weeks and can't find one that looks the same. Blah.
Old 6/7/07, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oulexicon (and any other Mustang brothers/sisters with a CDC Shaker):

Oulexicon (and any other Mustang brothers/sisters with a CDC Shaker): Can you do us a great favor and measure the hole that's cut into your hood from side to side, and from front to back? I downloaded the installations instructions from the CDC website, and it has a pretty good pic on there, and all indications are that the holes that come with the GTAP hood wouyld WITHIN the hole for the CDC Shaker, meaning that I could convert my car to the CDC Shaker after all...but I'd like to confirm that with actual measurements...THANKS!
Old 6/7/07, 05:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeh No more gaps or lifting for now as they replaced it yesterday and so far so good !
Attached Thumbnails Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-new-scoop-hood-liner-008.jpg   Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-new-scoop-hood-liner-009.jpg   Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-new-scoop-hood-liner-010.jpg   Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-new-scoop-hood-liner-007.jpg   Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood-new-scoop-hood-liner-012.jpg  

Old 6/7/07, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

You can always paint a flat black circle of color in the back end of the hood where the scoop goes. At a glance it looks like a hole in the hood. I made mine a real opening with a mesh over it which you can see cuz' the Boss 429 scoop is tall!!
Old 6/11/07, 03:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE

I agree. That is the way I wish they would have gone. Otherwise, I like my GTAP scoop just fine.
Old 6/13/07, 02:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
Oulexicon (and any other Mustang brothers/sisters with a CDC Shaker): Can you do us a great favor and measure the hole that's cut into your hood from side to side, and from front to back? I downloaded the installations instructions from the CDC website, and it has a pretty good pic on there, and all indications are that the holes that come with the GTAP hood wouyld WITHIN the hole for the CDC Shaker, meaning that I could convert my car to the CDC Shaker after all...but I'd like to confirm that with actual measurements...THANKS!
Yeah sure. I should have it back Friday, and will give you the measurements on the hole they cut in the hood. No problem.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop vs. Plain Hood