05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hood Pins saved me!

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/05, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I never get anywhere near 495, should I be concerned ?????

Old 4/18/05, 12:13 AM

does anyone know if the 3D carbon hood has functional vents and if it would be enough to keep the hood from ripping off or would yall still recommend hood pins? Thanks ~Trent
Old 4/18/05, 01:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

am i the only one that has drive over 140 and not noticed any problems with the hood?
Old 4/18/05, 01:56 AM
FR500 Member

Quite possibly Danny! I've been over 140 a few times myself, and the speed isn't the issue. It's the wind. If you have a stiff crosswind it can make your hood dance all kinds of crazy. It's happened to me at 120-130, and at 80, both times it was a wind issue. Either a headwind or a crosswind by oncoming semi's on a two lane road.
Old 4/18/05, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

With the 05 Mustang it seems as though they serve more than just looks. They might be basic needed equipment!
Old 4/18/05, 08:50 AM
Cobra R Member

2MFF

If you check out the thread[http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....wtopic=12352.] on these pins, you would know that we have a mounting problem with the 05. If you have a better solution be sure to let us know.

Once the pins are welded in place, I should have no problem. I will still keep the double nut and washer towards the top of the pin, just under the hole in the hood. When I mounted the under plate that came with the pins, it tended to pull the aluminum hood inward. Once I took that off, the hood popped back into form. This hood is flimsy.

I've adjusted my theory. When I hit the bridge, my pins may have broke loose. Crossing the bridge my latch failed. When I stopped to fix it, I noticed my hood support rod was loose, but I do not know if it broke loose early in the event, possibly causing the problem or not. The hood pin on the passanger side may have moved it when it broke loose. This rod may have caused the secondary latch to fail. It is now in my trunk.
Old 4/18/05, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by BlackBulletGT@April 18, 2005, 2:16 AM
does anyone know if the 3D carbon hood has functional vents and if it would be enough to keep the hood from ripping off or would yall still recommend hood pins? Thanks ~Trent

I have the RK Sport hood and when I took it by Steeda to show Dario , he said I definately needed hood pins. On Steeda's hoods , they put a large metal plate in the hood for the latch to attach to. On the RK Sport hood , there is only a small metal tap at each point the latch attaches to and does not have the surface area that the Steeda hood does to resist the bolts pulling out of the hood. That said , even on their hoods with the cowl induction at the rear to let air out , they recommend pins. He also said pretty much what you guy's are saying , that the 05 mustangs get a lot more air under the hood than previous years , and that even the factory hoods are ripping off high speeds on the race circuit ...
Old 4/18/05, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by BEACHBOY@April 17, 2005, 10:09 PM
Our hoods need to be vented somehow, way to much pressure being generated from air in the engine bay.
I posted a few weeks ago about my experience with hood shake, while making my first road trip down I95. 75-80mph cruising speed with strong outside wind maybe 30+mph. Hood really did some shaking but never came loose. Someone asked about the Redline Tuning hood struts, I have them. Hood still shakes, but maybe just maybe they help hold it down a little. They would not help with the shaking though.

I just think if the air pressure that is generated at higher speeds could be vented we would have a safer hood. Cowl vents maybe, is that a possibility? A little cheaper than a new hood.

I posted something about this weeks ago on another forum. I actually bought the steeda hood because the cowl vents are designed to vent the extra air pressure from under the hood.

The guy at steeda mentioned this as a seriuos problem with the 05 GT. There is extra pressure buildup under the hood because of the front end design of the car.

I'd be real carefull about this one. The hood shake is caused by the pressure under the hood. If the latch releases or a bolt sheers from the pressure, its going to rip the hood off. There is no slow motion here either. It'll happen fast.
Old 4/27/05, 09:30 AM
Cobra R Member

I just got my pins welded on today at Springfield Motorsports in Northern VA. They welded a nut to the crossmember and then use a brass nut to lock down the pin to where I want the hole to be alligned up top. Looks good. I'll post a picture later today.

I also had them open up the loop and insert the cable so that the pins cannot be stolen without cutting the cable. They also cannot fall off by accident either.

I'm now am more confident about my hood staying on the car now.