Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

HOT OFF THE PRESS!

Old 3/20/05, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's another one of my pet-peeves. They may be calling this a "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500" and it is based on the redesigned 2005 Mustang. Why are they compelled to remove 'Mustang' from the name. I personally believe that the fact that it is a Mustang is the most important part. If they remove the 'Mustang' from the official name, they are belittling that fact.

Also, Ford has to be paying Carrol Shelby in order for them to use his name in the marketing of this car. That 'licensing fee' is passed on to us in the form of a higher sticker price. That is in addition to the dealer markups -market adjustments- that will undoubtedly be even higher because of the name.
Old 3/20/05, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mustangc@March 20, 2005, 5:20 PM
Here's another one of my pet-peeves. They may be calling this a "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500" and it is based on the redesigned 2005 Mustang. Why are they compelled to remove 'Mustang' from the name. I personally believe that the fact that it is a Mustang is the most important part. If they remove the 'Mustang' from the official name, they are belittling that fact.

Also, Ford has to be paying Carrol Shelby in order for them to use his name in the marketing of this car. That 'licensing fee' is passed on to us in the form of a higher sticker price. That is in addition to the dealer markups -market adjustments- that will undoubtedly be even higher because of the name.
Well you all wanted the Shelby. So get ready for a MSRP of $48K+ before the dealers mark them up. As for me I'll be buying the other car.
Old 3/20/05, 05:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by anaki+March 20, 2005, 11:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 20, 2005, 11:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-rarecat@March 20, 2005, 10:26 AM
I dunno, Anaki is acting like an insider.... makes me wonder.... GT500 has always been a Stang... Could be we are getting the SVT Cobra AND the Shelby version

[/b][/quote]

I'd be careful what I'm saying/admitting to if I were you.
Old 3/20/05, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by SigMachi+March 20, 2005, 4:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SigMachi @ March 20, 2005, 4:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I love the fact that it is going to be a Shelby GT500. That is just awesome. I always dreamed of owning a Shelby mustang (I have lusted after a 67 Shelby) and now is my chance and I plan to take full advantage of it.

I still don't get why people care if it is called SVT Cobra or Shelby or whatever. It is going to be a kick hiney car.
[/b]

Originally posted by anaki@March 20, 2005, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Clutch@March 20, 2005, 4:33 PM
Shelby GT 500 - 450 horse ( really 500 ) and considered an SE vehicle

And the surprise.......

SVT Cobra - 500 horse ( really 550 ) and still Ford's top dog
You're very close to the truth. Who have you been talking to?

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@March 20, 2005, 5:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Clutch
@March 20, 2005, 5:33 PM

And the surprise.......

i don't buy that at all.

if there are two cars, i think it'll be the reverse. Just think of the names. SVT Cobra does not sound nearly as prestigeous as Shelby Cobra GT500.
[/quote]

It just makes sense, if you stop and think about it. Shellby's up there in years and I'm sure Ford will outlast him. So if you own a business which has branded a very successful hi-po division SVT, are you going to throw it away for a fellow who may not be around in a few years? A shelby now, is not the same thing as a Shelby which may one day be produced by Ford after CS passes away. Which is worth more? The Shelby produced while he is alive, because he would have had some level of involvement with the car.

SVT / Cobra will remain the big dog, the fastest car / the most horsepower. But here is the kicker......it won't be the highest priced mustang.........that honor will belong to the GT 500........an SE built by SVT.......... because Carol is alive, and has had input into the car........it's more of a collectible than the SVT Cobra, but not nearlly the car.........

Pick your poison gentlemen......its all good!
Old 3/20/05, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by anaki+March 20, 2005, 5:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 20, 2005, 5:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mustangc@March 20, 2005, 5:20 PM

Well you all wanted the Shelby. So get ready for a MSRP of $48K+ before the dealers mark them up. As for me I'll be buying the other car.
[/b][/quote]
I know you're trying to position yourself as some sort of "insider" with your giggles and grins and teases, but MY information is that there will be ONE TOP car: a Shelby GT500 built by SVT. Other special editions in the pipeline - yes - but a purely labelled SVT Cobra? Most definitely not.
Old 3/20/05, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have been guessing if they will make one or two cars for close to 1-2 years now. I have yet to believe any "insider" info until someone posts something with substance that can be proven when the car debuts. Everything else is worthless ....
Old 3/20/05, 10:00 PM
V6 Member

i seriously doubt this anaki fellow has any real inside info. If he did, he is asking for serious trouble by admitting any knowledge, b/c at that point either he or someone he knows is breaking an NDA, which ford would not be too happy about. Along those same lines, anybody close enough to Ford to be privy to this info simply knows better than to come out and blatantly allude to the fact that he has this info.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.
Old 3/20/05, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only thing we know now for certain - since it's on Ford's Official Press Site - is that there will be a "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500," which I've suspected for some time.

An educated guess is that that is the car that will be unveiled this week.

Beyond that, I take all the supposed "insiders" on this board with a very big grain of salt.
Old 3/21/05, 08:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mustangc@March 20, 2005, 6:20 PM
In 1968 the "official" name of the Shelby Mustangs were.......Shelby Cobra GT350, Shelby Cobra GT500, and Shelby Cobra GT500KR. 1968 was the first year Shelby's pony-cars were tagged as Cobra's b.t.w.

Mustang was nowhere to be found in the names of either of the three models and nothing about that seems weird now. And who does not refer to these cars, or the other Shelby offerings that were not officially called Mustangs, as Shelby Mustangs?
Old 3/21/05, 09:07 AM
GT Member

I'm envisioning the Ford/SVT engineers/planners that are working on this sitting at their desks reading these posts and laghing their as-ses off at us.
Old 3/21/05, 09:17 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You're right jsaylor. In fact, Shelby's lawyers still get upset when the cars are called Shelby Mustangs.
Old 3/21/05, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Clutch@March 20, 2005, 4:33 PM

And the surprise.......

I don't buy it...there is not enough product differentiation between those two to even call them different. There has to be more than just Shelby's name and 50 hp to make me pay for the SVT Cobra...

Just my $0.02 worth...

C
Old 3/21/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@March 20, 2005, 6:04 PM
also, Motor Trend said in their last issue quite decidedly that the Shelby Cobra will replace the SVT Cobra as the "top dog" stang. I trust them on this since just about everything they've called about this car seems to be coming true.
MT also reported a couple of issues back that the Shelby would have a "beefed-up"
live axle and the Ford GT's 550 hp motor.

Other sources are now stating 400+ hp and 450+ hp. Where is the 550 hp motor, MT?

Again, further justification that MT is yellow journalism.
Old 3/21/05, 10:33 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by slavehand@March 21, 2005, 12:12 PM
MT also reported a couple of issues back that the Shelby would have a "beefed-up"

Other sources are now stating 400+ hp and 450+ hp. Where is the 550 hp motor, MT?

I sincerely hope that whatever it puts out, and whatever its rated at, are decidedly different. A 550 hp (rated) mustang would lead to astronomical insurnace rates. High gas prices and high insurnace rates killed the muscle car last time around. History may repeat itself.
Old 3/21/05, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by mr-mstng+March 21, 2005, 11:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ March 21, 2005, 11:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-slavehand@March 21, 2005, 12:12 PM

I sincerely hope that whatever it puts out, and whatever its rated at, are decidedly different. A 550 hp (rated) mustang would lead to astronomical insurnace rates. High gas prices and high insurnace rates killed the muscle car last time around. History may repeat itself.
[/b][/quote]
FWIW, it'll definitely have 500hp. Underrated, of course.
Old 3/21/05, 05:05 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
:w00t: i cant wait till the next cobra comes out... although i do hope that there is a Shelby cobra GT500 AND an SVT cobra.

i have a feeling that just because its a shelby it will cost a great deal more than a conventional Cobra (but i could be wrong and i hope i am), so if there is two, im leaning towards the SVT.

assuming i can save up enough cash by the time it comes out...
Old 3/21/05, 05:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well if there is two different cars....I think it will go like this:

Ford SVT Cobra...this is the Live Axle 450HP car that will be "reasonabitly" priced under 40 grand

The Shelby Cobra GT500 is the SE of an SE Mustang (LOL). It has IRS, a Ford GT type powerplant in it and some other goodies with it. Costs closer to 50K, but runs with Vipers and ZO6's
Old 3/21/05, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by GT98@March 21, 2005, 6:44 PM

Ford SVT Cobra...this is the Live Axle 450HP car that will be "reasonabitly" priced under 40 grand

The Shelby Cobra GT500 is the SE of an SE Mustang (LOL). It has IRS, a Ford GT type powerplant in it and some other goodies with it. Costs closer to 50K, but runs with Vipers and ZO6's
You may be on to something.
Old 3/21/05, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by anaki+March 21, 2005, 7:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 21, 2005, 7:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GT98@March 21, 2005, 6:44 PM

You may be on to something.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, and on the other hand, he may just as easily not be.
Old 3/21/05, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by anaki+March 20, 2005, 5:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 20, 2005, 5:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mustangc@March 20, 2005, 5:20 PM

[/b][/quote]
There are not going to be two flagship Cobras - one Shelby, one SVT - period. End of discussion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOT OFF THE PRESS!