Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

'07 Cobra Rumor Update

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/04 | 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea what I'm trying to get at is will their be a model thats above a gt that will have auto tranny as an option.
Old 12/29/04 | 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by gt5000@December 29, 2004, 12:09 AM
Yea what I'm trying to get at is will their be a model thats above a gt that will have auto tranny as an option.
The MAch 1 was avail with an auto. I would expect the next SE to have one as well.

I think the GT will get nonfunctional scoops in a couple of years when the design begins to stale.
Old 12/29/04 | 08:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 63galaxie@December 28, 2004, 11:14 PM
On the MyColor remark, I know I'd take 0-60 in 4.2 over green guages anyday.
Amen to that, brutha.
Old 12/30/04 | 05:32 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by crazyhorse+December 28, 2004, 2:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ December 28, 2004, 2:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gt5000@December 28, 2004, 3:02 PM
Cobras come in automatic? Since this is the first year with a 5 speed auto yo u think they will offer an auto option?
None that I know of.

There is talk of an SMG auto coming. We saw pictures of a prototype (SN-95 version) with what looked like an SMG tranny and paddles.

If it does come, I hope it is an option, I want a standard manual. [/b][/quote]
when this thread originally started wasn't it also included in the rumor that the new Cobra would come with an optional automatic?
Old 12/30/04 | 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cabaret+December 30, 2004, 7:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cabaret @ December 30, 2004, 7:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by crazyhorse@December 28, 2004, 2:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gt5000
@December 28, 2004, 3:02 PM
Cobras come in automatic? Since this is the first year with a 5 speed auto yo u think they will offer an auto option?

None that I know of.

There is talk of an SMG auto coming. We saw pictures of a prototype (SN-95 version) with what looked like an SMG tranny and paddles.

If it does come, I hope it is an option, I want a standard manual.
when this thread originally started wasn't it also included in the rumor that the new Cobra would come with an optional automatic? [/b][/quote]
That would likely be the SMG (sequential manual gearbox). It isn't out of the question for Ford to put a regular automatic in the Cobra, it might even help sell a few of them, but, they never have in the past. With SMG becoming more advanced, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer one. It can be used as an automatic or manual. They work much better as a manual than the posers like pontiac's do.

Most Cobra fans, however, are still going to want the traditional manual with a clutch pedal (Me included). I realize the SMG shifts faster and could cut a few milliseconds off track times, but, I want one for the pleasure of driving it. I enjoy working the clutch and shift gate myself rather than having a high speed computer do it for me.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten a custom title as president of the manual transmissions for Cobras or something like that. This has to be at least the 100th time I have posted "Please make the SMG an option and still offer the tradtional manual."
Old 12/30/04 | 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

You are true too mustang since you are on both sides, thank you. I want a fast car, but I am on the highway all the time. So its not really good to have manual. So I really hope they come out with an SMG option or just an auto option. PLus why not, this is the first year that their is a 5 speed auto, right?
Old 12/31/04 | 01:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@December 27, 2004, 6:09 PM
I remember that too...they recalled them all....
I picked one up the week I ordered my car. They took them off the dealers the same week.

Old 12/31/04 | 07:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by gt5000@December 30, 2004, 10:54 PM
You are true too mustang since you are on both sides, thank you. I want a fast car, but I am on the highway all the time. So its not really good to have manual. So I really hope they come out with an SMG option or just an auto option. PLus why not, this is the first year that their is a 5 speed auto, right?
Yeah, I'm not opposed to an automatic in the Cobra, they just have never had one. The SMG is the best of both worlds as far as performance goes, but, I won't be racing this car nearly as much as having fun driving it on the streets. It won't be a daily driver and I don't live in heavy traffic. If SMG is the only tranny, I might not buy a Cobra. I would either go SE if they are hot enough or Z06 (2 seater is not my first choice). Of course, I would drive the Cobra first and see just how "bad" the SMG experience is.
Old 1/11/05 | 05:11 AM

On the flip side I'm one of those one car guys who's ride IS his daily driver and I spend a lot of time in the stinky SoCal traffic so something like the SMG with a paddle shift would definately get my attention.

Besides, the track isn't something that gets me all that excided and as such my shifting ability is pretty lackluster. Some of these new European imports are getting pretty sophisiticated and I'd be quite happy letting a computer make up for my lack of skill at rowing the gears.

So yes, bring on the auto... but make it a paddle shifter and make it an option. Just please don't bend me over too much to get it.

Anyone think we'll see something like that on the first year car or will that be bumped to the 08 model? With my luck they'll get the car out earlier than expected but make me wait an additional year or more for something like an SMG.

Brett
Old 1/12/05 | 11:23 AM
V6 Member

Concerning whether the GT will get hoodscoops or not, you all might want to know this information.
I have a big 40 years of Mustang book that my gf gave me for Christmas. It has alot of information in there that I've never seen before. I was shocked at all the stuff it had. Anyway there were interviews with HAU TAI TANG and he noted that as long as he's in charge, the mustang will not get hoodscoops. Now functional hoodscoops are a different story he said. Like on the Mach1. Those hoodscoops are okay, he said. It was also a good hint to Mustang enthusiasts toward future models, i believe.
Old 1/12/05 | 11:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by cobrasvt777@January 12, 2005, 12:26 PM
Concerning whether the GT will get hoodscoops or not, you all might want to know this information.
I have a big 40 years of Mustang book that my gf gave me for Christmas. It has alot of information in there that I've never seen before. I was shocked at all the stuff it had. Anyway there were interviews with HAU TAI TANG and he noted that as long as he's in charge, the mustang will not get hoodscoops. Now functional hoodscoops are a different story he said. Like on the Mach1. Those hoodscoops are okay, he said. It was also a good hint to Mustang enthusiasts toward future models, i believe.
I completely agree with him, non-functional hood scoops don't belong on the hood of a car.
Old 2/5/05 | 06:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

The latest news from my source - who I hadn't talked to in a few weeks - was that the new Cobra WILL have a 5.4 S/C detuned motor from the GT. However, it will NOT be 500 hp, most likely in the 440-460 hp realm and will have the HD 6 speed tranny with an auto of some design to possibly be optional later in the model year.

He has seen both 5.4 S/C and 4/6 S/C mules; but according to him it will definitely be the 5.4 S/C version. One other interesting tidbit - it is NOT a DOHC motor; partially to reduce cost, partially to aid in fitting the motor into the car.

Also, he did say that "COBRA" will definitely be the name of the SVT Mustang. Not sure how this will jive with the Shelby vehicle but he was adamant about this.

Remember - this is information from someone who claims to be on the inside and to me, seems very reliable. But again, I have got nothing from him proof-wise (pics, docs, etc). So for now, it's still 'rumor' as far as I'm concerned.

But I hope, hope, HOPE he's right!
Old 2/5/05 | 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Steve@February 5, 2005, 7:08 AM
The latest news from my source - who I hadn't talked to in a few weeks - was that the new Cobra WILL have a 5.4 S/C detuned motor from the GT. However, it will NOT be 500 hp, most likely in the 440-460 hp realm and will have the HD 6 speed tranny with an auto of some design to possibly be optional later in the model year.

He has seen both 5.4 S/C and 4/6 S/C mules; but according to him it will definitely be the 5.4 S/C version. One other interesting tidbit - it is NOT a DOHC motor; partially to reduce cost, partially to aid in fitting the motor into the car.

Also, he did say that "COBRA" will definitely be the name of the SVT Mustang. Not sure how this will jive with the Shelby vehicle but he was adamant about this.

Remember - this is information from someone who claims to be on the inside and to me, seems very reliable. But again, I have got nothing from him proof-wise (pics, docs, etc). So for now, it's still 'rumor' as far as I'm concerned.

But I hope, hope, HOPE he's right!
Did your "reliable source" say anything about pricing? If the next SVT is going to be north of 35k, then I may as well order a GT.
Old 2/5/05 | 11:48 AM
V6 Member

Hard to believe it wouldn't be around 40,000 or a little higher. Wasn't the last Cobra above 35,000? I would not expect the price to go down.
Old 2/5/05 | 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Did your "reliable source" say anything about pricing? If the next SVT is going to be north of 35k, then I may as well order a GT.
No new news other than it will hit somewhat higher (but not a lot) than the '04's which stickered in the mid '$30's. His best guess was something around $37-39k but nothing official that he has seen yet, only heresay at the watercooler.

My guess is we're looking at a $37,450 base price.
Old 2/5/05 | 12:42 PM
GT Member

No one is going to have anything other than guesses on prices until Ford releases official prices. But it makes perfect sense that it will be a little more than the last Cobra and it will likel be a few ticks under 40K. I'm sure we can all agree it (the coupe) will be somewhere between the 37.5 mentioned above any my guess, $39.9K. I'm sure the vert will also be release at the same time (since it's already designed) and likely 5K more, just like with the GT.
Old 2/5/05 | 12:51 PM

any styling comments yet?
Old 2/5/05 | 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cntchds@February 5, 2005, 1:54 PM
any styling comments yet?
Bulging hood, ducktail spoiler with spoiler delete option, 18" tires/wheels, bigger brakes, and at least 1 Cobra-only color. Interior trim will be SVT unique gauges, upgraded shifter versus the '04 stock shifter, and Recaro-like, lightweight seats. Also, he said that there is discussion about offering the car in some form of an "R" setup with rear seat delete, no radio, etc but not much detail yet. The "R" idea is still on the boards as of today.

I'm pushing him for a pic but he says the show cars (supposedly, Ford is taking 2 to NY) are still being finallized. He did say that finished product will cause everyone - especially the Boys who wear Bowties - to drool.

Makes ME wanna DANCE!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Old 2/5/05 | 02:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

dance on , brutha, dance on.
Old 2/5/05 | 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

no DOHC???then it is not a de-tuned GT motor.Maybe a 3 valve with bigger cubes and S/C will be the new king on the ford block.

Quick Reply: '07 Cobra Rumor Update