Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

'07 Cobra Rumor Update

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/04, 03:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard from my source in a few days but I'll try and get in touch again this weekend.

As far as the body work goes, no news.

The moment I get some more info, I'll be on here with the details!
Old 12/19/04, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

:scratch: OK...I've read this entire thread and it seems pretty clear that some of the people in this forum REALLY know what they are talking about and some REALLY don't have a clue, but here is what I have gathered:
It seems logical that there may be more than one SE Mustang.
The first (or possibly only) SE will not approach Cobra status.
It seems as if the question is 4.6 vs 5.4 and NA vs S/C
So the engines guessed at in this thread are most likely a S/C 4.6 or a NA 5.4
I'm trying to forget about the recent Bullitt fiasco [over-rating pre-production HP]and I hope Ford doesn't make the same mistake again (although they should DEFINITELY bring back that color green)!
So here is my guess:
A built (internals) 5.4 NA named Boss (Kinda like the old Boss engines were built for racing)
Then the Cobra (5.4 S/C) will finally come out.
Then a bigger (than the original SE) HP NA 5.4.

I really hope that they bring out the first SE at Detroit because if they do I will cancel my '05 order and put my name on that list if it looks anything like what I've stated above. I'd love a new version of the Mach, but the execs at ford seem shy about overexposure.

Just my .02 cents eace:
Old 12/20/04, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So heres my question in 99 why did the cobra come out so much sooner than it is now?
Old 12/20/04, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cntchds@December 20, 2004, 1:51 PM
So heres my question in 99 why did the cobra come out so much sooner than it is now?
We don't really know, but, I assume it is to make sure it is done right. They have to develop the technology. In '99, even though it was a new body style, it was still the old chassis. The new one is an all new chassis and, therefore, the suspension, engine, etc. all has to be tested in the new chassis.
Old 12/20/04, 07:12 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by cntchds@December 20, 2004, 12:51 PM
Two things:

1. 1999 was the same chassis as 1998, just some sheetmetal on the outside changed.
2. In 1999 the Cobra was not engineered by SVT, it was engineered by Team Mustang, and they did it simultaneously with the GT and V6. As of 2001, SVT took over engineering for the Cobra again, and they had to wait for Team Mustang to finalize the "regular" Mustang before working on the next Cobra.
Old 12/23/04, 07:41 PM

ok thanks guys
Old 12/23/04, 08:00 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by wsmatau@December 20, 2004, 12:48 AM
... trying to forget about the recent Bullitt fiasco [over-rating pre-production HP]and I hope Ford doesn't make the same mistake again
That's funny. I never knew one existed. All of the stock dynos on Bullitts that I've ever read about came at 272 or higher at the flywheel.

Please provide the "fiasco" details as you appear to know a lot more than a lot of us who should have.

I am real curious. Your explanation should be fascinating.
Old 12/23/04, 09:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+December 23, 2004, 10:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 BULLITT @ December 23, 2004, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wsmatau@December 20, 2004, 12:48 AM
... trying to forget about the recent Bullitt fiasco [over-rating pre-production HP]and I hope Ford doesn't make the same mistake again
That's funny. I never knew one existed. All of the stock dynos on Bullitts that I've ever read about came at 272 or higher at the flywheel.

Please provide the "fiasco" details as you appear to know a lot more than a lot of us who should have.

I am real curious. Your explanation should be fascinating. [/b][/quote]
I just assumed he meant the Cobra being underrated and he didn't really know the Bullitt cars.
Old 12/24/04, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse+December 23, 2004, 10:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ December 23, 2004, 10:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@December 23, 2004, 10:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-wsmatau
@December 20, 2004, 12:48 AM

I am real curious. Your explanation should be fascinating.
I just assumed he meant the Cobra being underrated and he didn't really know the Bullitt cars. [/b][/quote]
OK, I know when I'm about to step in a bear-trap, but here goes...
I suppose the "Fiasco" I referred to was personal, but I most definitely know what I am talking about when I refer to the Bullitt vs the Cobra(I'm willing to bet that most Bullitt owners don't know squat about the original car).
I was sold on the most recent Bullitt because Fords initial public advertisements touted the car at "at least 300 HP." I put my deposit down and couldn't wait for my new car. As I'm sure everyone knows the actual model that came out only had 275 hp. Ford decided to hold off the 300 hp plateau for the newer (03-04) Mach I's. I was lucky enough to have a reputable dealer that I had worked with quite a bit that was willing to return my deposit. So if you bought a Bullit after they were first introduced you wouldn't have expected the +25 hp...no big deal. My complaint was that Ford had advertised the Bullitt at HP ratings that were pretty far off (over-rated) and then realized that they better tone it down or they might lose customers. Lately they have been under-rating the Cobras and Machs which is nice (here is your 335 hp cobra jet....wink, wink).
I suppose I should have learned my lesson and just waited to order a car next year after the production was ramped up and I had a better idea about ALL of the offerings Ford is going to put forth. But hindsight is 20/20. B)
Old 12/24/04, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wasn't aware they had originally advertised 300hp for those.
Old 12/24/04, 03:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Bullitt concept was rated @ 275hp
Later turning on that, making it 265 for the actual rating.
To my knowledge it was never 300hp ever....as around that time, it would have been too close to the Cobra which was at 320.

Not quite a fiasco, but made people cringe at only getting '5 hp' extra over the GT.
I'd still take one in a heartbeat
And I REALLY would have sold my body parts for the concept bullitt compared to the public one....
Right Georgina
Old 12/24/04, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@December 24, 2004, 3:36 PM
I wasn't aware they had originally advertised 300hp for those.
I don't either. I remember the 275HP rating and the "re-adjustment" to 265HP but don't remember 300HP.
Old 12/25/04, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Boomer@December 24, 2004, 4:24 PM
...And I REALLY would have sold my body parts for the concept bullitt compared to the public one....
i really cant tell the difference between the two ive been flashing back and forth and cant find anything to extravagent from concept to production
Old 12/25/04, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wsmatau@December 24, 2004, 11:43 AM
OK, I know when I'm about to step in a bear-trap, but here goes...
I suppose the "Fiasco" I referred to was personal, but I most definitely know what I am talking about when I refer to the Bullitt vs the Cobra(I'm willing to bet that most Bullitt owners don't know squat about the original car).
There are many knowledgeable Bullitt owners registered with the International Mustang Bullitt Owners Club who would probably be aware of such a horsepower claim.

As others have mentioned, 275hp was an often quoted pre-production figure. It might be worth a post on the IMBOC forums to see what the original outputs were expected to be.
Old 12/25/04, 05:27 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by wsmatau@December 24, 2004, 11:43 AM
I was sold on the most recent Bullitt because Fords initial public advertisements touted the car at "at least 300 HP." I put my deposit down and couldn't wait for my new car. As I'm sure everyone knows the actual model that came out only had 275 hp. Ford decided to hold off the 300 hp plateau for the newer (03-04) Mach I's. I was lucky enough to have a reputable dealer that I had worked with quite a bit that was willing to return my deposit. So if you bought a Bullit after they were first introduced you wouldn't have expected the +25 hp...no big deal. My complaint was that Ford had advertised the Bullitt at HP ratings that were pretty far off (over-rated) and then realized that they better tone it down or they might lose customers.
Please post copies of those "advertsements"

Your memory is a bit foggy as you do not even have the actual HP rating of the Bullitt correct. Ford never advertised that the Bullitt would have 300 HP. As other's have said, 275 HP and 270 HP #'s were thrown around before the final and actual 265 HP rating was announced.
Old 12/25/04, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by wsmatau@December 24, 2004, 12:43 PM
... but I most definitely know what I am talking about when I refer to the Bullitt vs the Cobra(I'm willing to bet that most Bullitt owners don't know squat about the original car).
Really? You could have fooled me and a few others.

Those who bought the Bullitt knew exactly what the model was all about. Within a week of the production announcement all the particulars and details were available for those who seeked the info. Ford didn't fooled anyone. The ones who wanted to be had did it all by themselves by creating features and performance which only existed in their own little minds.

To this day most Mustang fans lack the understanding of the themes of Ford's Mustang special editions. You would make a good chairman.
Old 12/26/04, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@December 25, 2004, 7:19 PM

Those who bought the Bullitt knew exactly what the model was all about.
[/quote]
:worship:
I suppose I should apologize if the numbers I quoted were off. V10 and Boomer seemed to understand what happened with the foggy memory. Maybe the 300 was just the dealer talking in my ear. I walked away from the Bullitt after my bad experience. I don't have a framed brochure for it. I probably would if I had decided to buy the car. The only brochure I ever saved for a car I didn't own was one for the 2000 Cobra (that never made it to production.) But you all must agree with my original point that Ford has over-rated Mustangs in the past. As I stated in my second post, "Fiasco" was overstating the problem and I suppose I remember the experience as a bad one because of the over-rating.
Bullitt1 I gotta say you are a world class hineyhole. It sounds like you are pretty knowlegable, but do you really believe that EVERYONE who owns a Bullitt knows every detail about the car. Of the 4 or 5 owners I have met only two knew a lot about the cars. I'm willing to put my knowlege of Mustangs against anyone be it SE or not. I am not an MCA show judge by any stretch, just a big fan.
Old 12/26/04, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by wsmatau@December 26, 2004, 10:13 AM

Bullitt1 I gotta say you are a world class hineyhole.
Thanks. I'll take that over being a dumbxxx any day. Posting fiction as facts is best when desguised as an amateurish opinion.
Old 12/26/04, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

I didnt read every post, so this may be a repost.

But, only 400rwhp from a blown 5.4? Thats freaking WEAK.

Why do I say that? Cause the 03-04 Cobras put down around 380 rwhp stock.
Old 12/26/04, 09:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only brochure I ever saved for a car I didn't own was one for the 2000 Cobra (that never made it to production.)
You have a brochure for a 2000 Cobra? :scratch:

But you all must agree with my original point that Ford has over-rated Mustangs in the past.
The only over-rating was the 99 Cobra as far as I can recall. The Bullitt has more than its rated. So does the 03/04 Mach 1, as well as the 03/04 Cobra.

Quick Reply: '07 Cobra Rumor Update