GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a single axle-back exhaust
Old 12/12/06, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cookiemonster
I want a single axle-back exhaust
Theres tons of them out there. Just look around and Im sure youll find something.
Old 12/12/06, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

..thats the easiest job. Those are actually mufflers made for the v6!!

mrt aeroturbine
flowmaster at
frpp gta
jba
magnaflow
borla/frpp
Old 12/14/06, 10:32 AM

I have a question....
I have the mrt muffler and the sent me two by mistake for the price of one

Anyway, i love the sound of the single but i have always wanted to go duel, but i am afraid by doing this with this set-up (reverse y) that the loud factor that I like about this exhaust will diminish some, due to two pipes split instead of one single pipe. Can some one give me feedback on this?
Old 12/14/06, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

Kit came today. Looks great, top notch work, Nino! Very shiney pipes!!

Originally Posted by BurntPony
A tip for DIYers, I couldnt get the V6 midpipe off my car unless I cut it. I got the car as far up in the air as I could and still couldnt wrestle it out.
Yeah. I couldn't get the original pipe out either. It's a bit too long and I couldn't squeeze it out between the driveshaft, axle, and passenger coil spring. I tried to loosen the bolts on the driveshaft to drop it, no way, too dang tight! So I took an angle grinder to the pipe. That was hard work, and my stupid cheap-O cummins grinder's handle broke off! Nearly dropped the dang thing on my face!!

Anyways, I cut it enough I was able to bend/break the pipe and finally get it out of there.

So, I started putting in the new kit. Went to install the new hangers for the driver's side muffler and: The Holes in the frame are Not Tapped on 2006 V6 models!!!

That's what I get for trying to get this done before I have to go to work tonight. Now I have an exhaust-less car sitting in the garage until I buy/borrow a tap set and get those two friggin holes tapped out. Well, I guess I'll find out if my Jeep is actually fixed or not, I was working on it yesterday. Sigh. I think in the future I am just going to start taking things to the shop. I am simply not a good mechanic.

So, double check those mounts before you get everything apart, and remember to either cut the pipe or drop the driveshaft to get the original pipe out.

But, the kit from Nino is awesome!
Old 12/14/06, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor

You can use one of the bolts from the original (passenger side) hangers to tap the threads as they are self-tapping bolts.

I knew you'd like it. We're very proud of this kit and expect it to sell well. In fact, we've already sold out our original stock and expect to get our next one on Monday. We still have the deal going where you can get this kit for $199.95 shipped if you purchase a GT axle-back from us at regular price.

-Nino
Old 12/14/06, 05:13 PM
V6 Member

You can use one of the bolts from the original (passenger side) hangers to tap the threads as they are self-tapping bolts.
Ah! I didn't even try that. Thanks!

(Any tips on getting the new pipes wrestled into place? Aside from dropping the axle, that is?)
Old 12/14/06, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor

Lift the rear as high as you safely can by supporting the frame of the car. That will allow the axle to drop as far as possible. That may just be enough room. Otherwise, take it to a shop so they can put it on a lift.
Old 12/14/06, 10:53 PM
V6 Member

Lift the rear as high as you safely can by supporting the frame of the car. That will allow the axle to drop as far as possible. That may just be enough room. Otherwise, take it to a shop so they can put it on a lift.

So , to take the old pipe out, if I use a lift I don't need to cut the pipe. same with installing the new one. i am also going to order this conversion but I want to make sure that i can take the old pipe out w/o cutting the pipe.
Old 12/15/06, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ninosport-
Now I know the v6 will never sound like and be as loud as the GT, but is this reverse Y-setup going to make the car louder, or will it cut down on the noise level? I plan on using the Borla/FRPP Stingers with this exhaust setup, how do you think this will compare soundwise to my single Borla exhuast on the car now? Thanks!
Old 12/18/06, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

Finished up getting my kit installed today. Required a bit more of a jack than I had, and taller jack stands. BUt, I got it all installed. I recommend having a friend available. IT's a bit hard to juggle the various parts by yourself!

Anyway, it looks great, sounds nice. I haven't got to drive it too much yet, just got finished a little bit ago.
Old 12/19/06, 01:06 PM

I would love to see someone come out with a hi flow catted or off road style midpipe for the v6 car. Preferrably that would would bolt up directly to a gt style dual exhaust but it would be nice if would be flexible to work with dual or single. I'm thinking some type of 2 piece set up that would bolt right up to the 4.0 manifolds(or aftermarket shortie headers) and come back to and h just short of where the dual(or single) over axle pipe would start. To make it work with both exhaust you could then include either two extensions to work with the dual setup or a y going from two down to one to work with a single exhaust set up. I can't believe no one has done anything like this yet.

Kerry
Old 12/19/06, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Ninosport-
Now I know the v6 will never sound like and be as loud as the GT, but is this reverse Y-setup going to make the car louder, or will it cut down on the noise level? I plan on using the Borla/FRPP Stingers with this exhaust setup, how do you think this will compare soundwise to my single Borla exhuast on the car now? Thanks!

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that question. My guess is that it will make it a tad bit louder since there will be two sources of sound instead of one.

-Nino
Old 12/19/06, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

hey Ninosport, no reply to my post on the 1st page, reply #10
Old 12/19/06, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by soitsav6

pypes has an exhaust dual with x that clamps onto the cats (you could replace with cat delete pipes or just put hf ones in place of) and it goes back and utilizes a gt axleback system. THere is really no way to get the mufflers under the car, but if you dont want to see the mufflers, go with teh pipes set up and get magnapack gt exhaust, they are really tiny mufflers that you will not see under the car if that is your concern.
Old 12/19/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the info nonstop, I actually have my mufflers under the car now, I like my exhaust setup but it is not servicable if any work has to be done it has to be cut, I have had it cut out and welded back in 3 times now and want to go in and replace the butchered piping and add flanges.

whats that saying "hindsite is 20/20." LOL
Old 12/19/06, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol hope everything works out....thats why im getting an enginnered kit that i can put on/take off.
I wish I couldve went 100 bux cheaper and gotten a shop to fab something for me, but i dont want some idiot from meineke to butcher the only pipes i have with no guarrantee. Also some guy on another forum said how he got laughed out of menineke because his exhaust was rattling and they wouldnt/couldnt fix it.

What mufflers do you ahve that fit under there? does it sound okay?
Old 12/20/06, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by soitsav6
We're working on creating some more exhaust kits for the V6, but I don't have any further info to give out right now. At the moment, our only offering is the Y-pipe dual exhaust conversion kit.

-Nino
Old 12/21/06, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
lol hope everything works out....thats why im getting an enginnered kit that i can put on/take off.
I wish I couldve went 100 bux cheaper and gotten a shop to fab something for me, but i dont want some idiot from meineke to butcher the only pipes i have with no guarrantee. Also some guy on another forum said how he got laughed out of menineke because his exhaust was rattling and they wouldnt/couldnt fix it.

What mufflers do you ahve that fit under there? does it sound okay?
I have 2 magnaflow universal mufflers, sounds pretty good, they are 14" long and 4" round, sounded loud and a lot of drone till they broke in, would not trade for anything else I have seen so far, I am curious what the flowmaster hushpower would sound like

@ninosport, thanks
Old 12/28/06, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kamicosmos
Finished up getting my kit installed today. Required a bit more of a jack than I had, and taller jack stands. BUt, I got it all installed. I recommend having a friend available. IT's a bit hard to juggle the various parts by yourself!

Anyway, it looks great, sounds nice. I haven't got to drive it too much yet, just got finished a little bit ago.

Kamicosmos, how was the quality of the clips supplied in the kit, are they sturdy enough ? Any leaks ?

Any pictures from the completed istallation ?

How long are the OEM GT mufflers tips exceeding the bumper valence with this kit ?

Quick Reply: What do you guys want for exhaust?