GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Whose Tune Are You Using?
BamaChips
55.35%
Brenspeed
22.01%
Lido
3.14%
Canned tunes
3.77%
Other
15.72%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Whose Tune Are You Using?

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/07, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
I might be a **** when it comes to women, but i'm monogomous when it comes to mechanics.

haha

That's funny stuff right there.......
Old 1/14/07, 06:30 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bama Chips 93 torque tune here..
Old 1/14/07, 06:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doug did mine in person . We got a group of us in St. Louis together and brought him here for a Dyno weekend, He will do it for you if you have enough people to make it worth his while.
What I liked about that was he tweeked things like the A/F, Torque converter cut out, shift points, removal of the MPH limiter, Adjusted the RPM limiter, and just plain got my car the way I wanted it.
Doug is a great guy to talk to, if he comes to town again, I will be there just to hang out to listen and learn.
Old 1/14/07, 07:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRENSPEED...I am more than happy
Old 1/14/07, 08:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
In your honest opinion ? what's really the difference or advantage of getting a custom dyno tune over Doug's tunes ? after the other local guys you mentioned checked head to head and proved just how good Doug's tunes stack up compared to their custom dyno tunes
Having absolute proof that the tune is okay. I can't drive to Doug's to double check.
Every car is a little different and it is good to know for sure what the tune is doing. Therefore even with a Bamachips tune I would like to do a dyno run.
The advantage is that the tune was tweaked for my exact car. I also have a local guy with a dyno to tweak anything I want tweaked in the future.
The cost was the same as an ordered tune plus the dyno runs.
If I lived in a place far from a custom tuner I would use Bamachips, but I would still wonder exactly how my car had responded to the tune.
Old 1/14/07, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karman
Having absolute proof that the tune is okay. I can't drive to Doug's to double check.
Every car is a little different and it is good to know for sure what the tune is doing. Therefore even with a Bamachips tune I would like to do a dyno run.
The advantage is that the tune was tweaked for my exact car. I also have a local guy with a dyno to tweak anything I want tweaked in the future.
If I lived in a place far from a custom tuner I would use Bamachips, but I would still wonder exactly how my car had responded to the tune.
I can't word this any better. Mail order tunes are fine, and will not be detremental to your car (you hope). The problem being altitude, temperature, and every car being different. The fact is, you can gain more horsepower, and see EXACTLY WHERE YOU STAND both fuel, spark and horsepower and torque-wise.

See these people buy the mail order tunes, put them in and are happy as can be. Some don't have them dynotuned, or use a wideband to double check. They just feel a huge horsepower increase and don't see any wrench lights on the dash. So great, awesome experienece.

Exactly like Karman said, though. If you want to know exactly what your tune did to YOUR car, and not the other 4 people that ordered and got the same tune, go local. If there is any problems, you will see them when they appear on the AFR printout, etc.

Like with RubberEater's car. The tune file from the base was great, but he had an off-road X pipe. Technically, we put the tune in and saw no lights, and HP increase was crazy! However, we were able to tweak 10 more horsepower out of it, and found the AFR to be waaaay lean. By adding timing and fuel, it resolved the whole issue. If it werent for the dyno, we never would have known.

Just my two cents.
Old 1/14/07, 08:46 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
I agree that not everyone lives close enough to Drive to Doug's to double check..However ? you can also have a local tuner tweak his tunes on the dyno for your exact car so this way ? you know exactly what's goin on with the tune and knowing that everything is ok..In fact I'm already in the process of setting up an appointment with Tillman Speed for those very same reasons..
Old 1/14/07, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

Bamachips 91 race tune here......
Old 1/15/07, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Brenspeed here and I am very happy with the tune. Running the 87 tune currently.
Old 1/15/07, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Bamachips here... wish he was closer to CA, I'd love to have my car "custom" done by Doug... (wistful)
Old 1/15/07, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

brenspeed! 93 octane warp drive! Only legal in three states! this tune has been known to make horses, sheep and small woodland creatures hide!!
Old 1/15/07, 02:22 PM
JLH

Brenspeed tune,

I do have my own wideband for checking the A/F ratio. I have only run the 93 octane tune. Just got my Satage three cams from Brent and will be installing soon. I have been very happy with his service and tunes.
The automatic shifts are great.
Old 1/15/07, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor

^ The right way to do it.
Old 1/15/07, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Bamachips 91 Race

I'll be honest, it has more than enough power to get me into big time trouble. So, do I need to squeeze out another 10HP? Probably not.
Old 1/15/07, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
So in other words ? Doug dyno tuned your Stang in person correct ?

Yep.
Old 1/15/07, 03:28 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I've been very happy with my Bamachips tunes

Once I pull the car out of its hibernation I will verify the tunes on a dyno
Old 1/15/07, 05:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brenspeed's 93 tune here, awsome!
I ran the 89 tune for a bit, then switched to the 93 & haven't looked back.
I'll be putting mine on the dyno this spring & tweak for my specific car, but will do with the 'canned' tune for now.
Old 1/15/07, 05:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lidio's 89 and 93 here. They feel great, but dyno numbers were a disappointment.
Old 1/15/07, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Brenspeed. I respect everyone that supports Bamachips for Doug's tunes and service, but having tried both the Brenspeed tune was my clear choice. I wonder how many 'Bama supporters would feel the same if they were to try tunes from both.

Speaking about how good Brenspeeds tunes are compared to a custom dyno tune, I can tell you my numbers on the tune that Brent emailed me were 300/316. After tuning on the dyno he was able to squeeze it to 303/318 with keeping the a/f at 12.8. It doesn't get much better than that!
Take that!.. you Bama heads!
Old 1/15/07, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Take that!.. you Bama heads!

LOL! You're gonna get me in trouble STD!!

Quick Reply: Whose Tune Are You Using?