GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TUNES- Race, Torque, & Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/06, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Badandy
What are the effects of mileage with the race tuns, NOT COUNTING your extra desire to press the gas more.
impossible to answer because i haven't once actually tried to get good gas mileage while running my 93 Race tune. lol.. and for whoever mentioned getting an 87 race tune when they already have 93 race, it seems somewhat counter-productive. i figure the whole point to getting 87 once you already have 93 is so that you save $ on gas, perhaps for a longer cruise or trip - so therefore you shouldn't get the race tune.. it'll tempt you tooooooo much.
Old 11/20/06, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Question

I am certainly in the market, and am trying to decide what kind of tune to get. My question after reading this, is why have a tune for the low end (torque tune), then a different tune for the high end (performance?). Why not have a tune that can provide both?! or is this the "race tune" y'all are talking about?

The tuners allow seperate adjustments at 3 different RPM ranges right? Can't the right tune maximize torque down low, and HP up high??? Ohh, and throw in decent MPG when using light throttle.
Old 11/20/06, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
I am certainly in the market, and am trying to decide what kind of tune to get. My question after reading this, is why have a tune for the low end (torque tune), then a different tune for the high end (performance?). Why not have a tune that can provide both?! or is this the "race tune" y'all are talking about?

The tuners allow seperate adjustments at 3 different RPM ranges right? Can't the right tune maximize torque down low, and HP up high??? Ohh, and throw in decent MPG when using light throttle.
i wrote it somewhere previously in this post that basically the Race tune feels like the torque tune down low plus some, added with the high of the performance tune. my opinion anyway.

and i think you start asking for too much when you want good mpg tied in with all of the benefits of torque/hp throughout the rpm range.. you want it to brush your teeth for you and remember to put the toilet seat back down too? you'll be happy with any of dougs tunes. just get it and see for yourself what the differences are. you'll like them all, but you'll especially like his Race tune.
Old 11/20/06, 01:09 PM
GT Member

Question

Has anyone done a dyno test of all three tunes on the same car? I would be interested in seeing the dyno plot to really see what is going on with the different tunes and how much of it is just a perceived difference.
Old 11/20/06, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by thecarguy
Has anyone done a dyno test of all three tunes on the same car? I would be interested in seeing the dyno plot to really see what is going on with the different tunes and how much of it is just a perceived difference.
In about a month or so Im going to try and do this on the dyno. Its just hard because you have to change octane types for different tunes. I might just try to run on 93 the whole time and test different tunes, but I think that might skew the results a tad.
Old 11/20/06, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

I still believe 93 race, 93 Torque, and 87 Perf. I use the race tune most of the time just because I think nothing compares to it. But when going home to dallas or something I pop in the 87 just cause I'm on the highway the whole time. But the 93 race is very hard to stay off of. lol
Old 11/20/06, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
In about a month or so Im going to try and do this on the dyno. Its just hard because you have to change octane types for different tunes. I might just try to run on 93 the whole time and test different tunes, but I think that might skew the results a tad.
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of just premium tunes whether it be 91, 92 or 93. I keep bouncing back and forth from the 91 torque and 91 race, and haven't even tried my 91 performance. The torque tune just seems so much smoother. But if it's proven on a dyno that the power curve is better overall in the race tune - I will stick with it (or which ever one looks best).
Old 11/20/06, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is my dyno sheet from two weeks ago. The first run (299/319) was with Doug's (bamachips) 93 Torque tune, just how I drove it in.
While waiting for my second pull, we waited ~5 mins between pulls, I loaded the his 93 Performance tune (301/320).
As you can see, they dynoed really, really close. I was hoping to get back on and try the 93 Race tune, but this was a local stang club event and there was not time.

One thing I noticed with everyone who switched tunes that day, loading the new tune was more of a marriage of the new and existing tunes. Maybe it just takes sometime for the tables to re-populate.

Anyway, here are the results:

Old 11/20/06, 11:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SP_51-F1
Here is my dyno sheet from two weeks ago. The first run (299/319) was with Doug's (bamachips) 93 Torque tune, just how I drove it in.
While waiting for my second pull, we waited ~5 mins between pulls, I loaded the his 93 Performance tune (301/320).
As you can see, they dynoed really, really close. I was hoping to get back on and try the 93 Race tune, but this was a local stang club event and there was not time.

One thing I noticed with everyone who switched tunes that day, loading the new tune was more of a marriage of the new and existing tunes. Maybe it just takes sometime for the tables to re-populate.

Anyway, here are the results:

Thanks for posting this! I find this really interesting as they do look VERY similar. Like you said though, maybe they just take a little time re-populate.
Old 11/21/06, 12:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Well doug said the race tune and performance tune for 93 is pretty much the same with some small differences, so if you want too different ones he recommends the race and torque which are a little different. I dont like the torque any where as much as the race tunes. I cant say enough about the race tunes and there is no problem driving it everyday this way. I got used to it in no time. Car is a banshee now.

oh yah and as for an 87 tune, its when you cant find the other gas, out of town etc. Other than that it is 93 race tune all the way all the time.
Old 11/28/06, 08:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed my JLT w/Xcal tonight. I loaded the 87 octane performance tune by Doug/BamaChips and was floored. I can not believe the difference it made from stock. I drove to the gas station as I was near empty and fueled with 93 and loaded the 93 race. I notice a difference in comparison with the 87, but it was not as extreme as I had expected. The difference from stock to 87 was much MUCH greater than the 87 to 93. Does this seem about right? I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first tune. I have yet to load the 93 tq. Please let me know you opinions on "this". Thanks!
Old 11/28/06, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

We've only got 91 here in Cali Steelstang but I have to agree with you about they're not being as big a difference in going to higher octane. Only difference I feel between the 87P and the 91R is that the throttle response is alot better and it feels slightly more torquey. Don't get me wrong I run the 91R all the time. I'm just saying it doesn't come close to the difference felt between stock and the 87P. Although I'd say it's still worth running the higher octane tune just don't expect to feel like you did when you loaded up the 87P for the first time.
Old 11/28/06, 09:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
We've only got 91 here in Cali Steelstang but I have to agree with you about they're not being as big a difference in going to higher octane. Only difference I feel between the 87P and the 91R is that the throttle response is alot better and it feels slightly more torquey. Don't get me wrong I run the 91R all the time. I'm just saying it doesn't come close to the difference felt between stock and the 87P. Although I'd say it's still worth running the higher octane tune just don't expect to feel like you did when you loaded up the 87P for the first time.
Makes sense. Thanks for the input
Old 11/28/06, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
.....I drove to the gas station as I was near empty and fueled with 93 and loaded the 93 race. I notice a difference in comparison with the 87, but it was not as extreme as I had expected. The difference from stock to 87 was much MUCH greater than the 87 to 93. Does this seem about right? I wasn't sure what to expect as this was my first tune. I have yet to load the 93 tq. Please let me know you opinions on "this". Thanks!
Wait until you go through a tank of 93 and after that see if you don't begin to notice a difference. I used the 87 Performance first and then switched to 93 Torque. I noticed a difference for sure but really noticed it better after I had run through almost a whole tank of 93.
Doug did some tweaks to his tunes recently and he sent me a new 93 Torque about 2 weeks ago. I noticed a difference between the old 93 TQ and new 93 TQ. The one I have now is better for sure than the first one he sent me back in August. I'm real happy with it.
Old 11/28/06, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

One thing I noticed this week, when driving in freezing rain the race tune requires a veryyyy light touch. not recommended for the faint of heart.
Old 11/28/06, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, now that I've read the 3 pages of posts, it's clear to me that Doug's tunes are the way to go. Next question is, what is the preferred brand of CAI to complement Doug's tunes??
Old 11/29/06, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by thecarguy
Thanks for posting this! I find this really interesting as they do look VERY similar.
Doug can correct me, but I doubt you will see much difference from one to the other on the dyno with the higher octane tunes.

Most of the change would show up when you drive the car. There is much more to a good "tune" than just dyno HP numbers.
Old 11/29/06, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steevr
Ok, now that I've read the 3 pages of posts, it's clear to me that Doug's tunes are the way to go. Next question is, what is the preferred brand of CAI to complement Doug's tunes??
u'd get a lot of different answers for that but its definitely just personal preference.. although there have been articles.. i think MM&FF had one. I personally liked the C&L Street kit so i got it. many prefer the JLT b/c its cheaper. or the c&l racer b/c its cheaper. once you have the tune you could probably go back and forth in btwn the CAIs and not notice a difference btwn them. But i'd go with either C&L or JLT. imo they are the most popular.
Old 11/29/06, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I vote for JLT , but suggest that you do your own research.
Old 11/29/06, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Lightbulb

I just don't know how else to say it... I have gone back and forth between the 91 torque and 91 race, and besides the snappier throttle response of the race tune, the 91 torque feels stronger.

Let me expand a little on this, someone else said the race tune feels like the torque down low with more up top - I disagree. To me the top end of the torque feels just as strong as the race with a little added down low. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Quick Reply: TUNES- Race, Torque, & Performance