GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TUNES- Race, Torque, & Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/06, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be getting my XCal2 with Dougs 91 race tune Monday and I can't wait to get it loaded and take it a spin. Everyone here swears that Dougs tunes are excellent. I have talked to him a few times and he is very knowledgeable on Ford programming.
Old 11/18/06, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL!!! Well... I thank you all. I just ordered Bamachips JLT w/ Xcal with 93 Race, 93 Torque, and 87 Performace(just in case...) I could not stand it any longer. You guys make me sick with all of your gloating...lol. Although I had great success with my "tuneless" GMS for the short period of time that I had it. I wanted a complete set-up that Doug offered, so I went all out and pulled the trigger. Thanks for the feedback!!! . That's what makes this forum so awesome. When I get it, I'll post my opinions. It's true- hp is addictive. I had no intentions of getting a tune, but look at me now. Live and learn...
Old 11/18/06, 07:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the 91 perf and it is awesome, pulls so hard through all the gears. The 91 torque didn't really do to much for me.
Old 11/18/06, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
LOL!!! Well... I thank you all. I just ordered Bamachips JLT w/ Xcal with 93 Race, 93 Torque, and 87 Performace(just in case...) I could not stand it any longer. You guys make me sick with all of your gloating...lol. Although I had great success with my "tuneless" GMS for the short period of time that I had it. I wanted a complete set-up the Doug offered, so I went all out and pulled the trigger. Thanks for the feedback!!! . That's what makes this forum so awesome. When I get it, I'll post my opinions. It's true- hp is addictive. I had no intentions of getting a tune, but look at me now. Live and learn...
Cool. You won't regret it. I never even consider a tuneless intake because of all that the tunes do. It gets rid of the throttle lag, that's the biggest thing. It's especially good if you have an automatic. I hear that the JLT is excellent btw.
Old 11/18/06, 07:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear that the JLT is excellent btw. [/quote]

Oh yeah, it is!
Old 11/19/06, 01:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

if the highest octane gas i can get is 92, then which tune is the correct one? would i have to go with the 91 or could i use the 93? seems like neither one would be properly tuned for my gas. anyone else been in this situation? sorry, dont know much about this stuff.

i saw on the order form that there is a space for 92 octane gas, but then i dont know which tune to select because it is only 87/91/93 iirc.
Old 11/19/06, 01:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
if the highest octane gas i can get is 92, then which tune is the correct one? would i have to go with the 91 or could i use the 93? seems like neither one would be properly tuned for my gas. anyone else been in this situation? sorry, dont know much about this stuff.

i saw on the order form that there is a space for 92 octane gas, but then i dont know which tune to select because it is only 87/91/93 iirc.
If you let Doug know in the comment section of the form, or in an email, he can tweak the tune for 92. It's probably a matter of a couple of degrees of ignition advance.
Old 11/19/06, 04:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL!!! Well... I thank you all. I just ordered Bamachips JLT w/ Xcal with 93 Race, 93 Torque, and 87 Performace(just in case...) I could not stand it any longer. You guys make me sick with all of your gloating...lol. Although I had great success with my "tuneless" GMS for the short period of time that I had it. I wanted a complete set-up that Doug offered, so I went all out and pulled the trigger. Thanks for the feedback!!! . That's what makes this forum so awesome. When I get it, I'll post my opinions. It's true- hp is addictive. I had no intentions of getting a tune, but look at me now. Live and learn...
I'm running Doug's 93 Racer and Brent's 93 octane as well. In my opinion they both rock. You will not be disappointed. I do however have a question for you. Why did you buy a JLT instead of just getting tunes for your GMS? I'm not trying to start any cr*p, but you've been a pretty strong advocate of the GMS CAI. Just wondering...
Old 11/19/06, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
I'm running Doug's 93 Racer and Brent's 93 octane as well. In my opinion they both rock. You will not be disappointed. I do however have a question for you. Why did you buy a JLT instead of just getting tunes for your GMS? I'm not trying to start any cr*p, but you've been a pretty strong advocate of the GMS CAI. Just wondering...
I'm still an advocate of GMS and have had success with their CAI w/MAF. It "fit the bill" for what I wanted at the time with ZERO problems. I know that some people have had issues with their intake, but my experience was positive. I was really looking forward to the Fuego turner once I decided that I was going to go with a tune, however, I was not satisfied with the minimal available information regarding the product. I then started looking for a reputable "tuner", i.e., Bamachips, Brenspeed, Evolution... and none provided tunes for the GMS. Bamachips had... but wont now. I even looked into going with a custom tune & dyno(Powerhouse) with the GMS CAI w/ OEM MAF, however, they wanted $550 plus an additional $80.00 for the 02 bung totaling $630.00!!! It probably would have been the safest route, but no way was I paying that much when I already had $370.00 invested into the GMS set-up. I was not willing to spend $1,000 for 25-30 hps. So, I decided to sell the GMS and go with a complete package from Doug. I felt most comfortable with him and what he had to offer. There was more... but basically that's why I decided to get the JLT w/ Xcal. Believe me, I've researched "this" until I was blue in the face...
Old 11/19/06, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm still an advocate of GMS and have had success with their CAI w/MAF. It "fit the bill" for what I wanted at the time with ZERO problems. I know that some people have had issues with their intake, but my experience was positive. I was really looking forward to the Fuego turner once I decided that I was going to go with a tune, however, I was not satisfied with the minimal available information regarding the product. I then started looking for a reputable "tuner", i.e., Bamachips, Brenspeed, Evolution... and none provided tunes for the GMS. Bamachips had... but wont now. I even looked into going with a custom tune & dyno(Powerhouse) with the GMS CAI w/ OEM MAF, however, they wanted $550 plus an additional $80.00 for the 02 bung totaling $630.00!!! It probably would have been the safest route, but no way was I paying that much when I already had $370.00 invested into the GMS set-up. I was not willing to spend $1,000 for 25-30 hps. So, I decided to sell the GMS and go with a complete package from Doug. I felt most comfortable with him and what he had to offer. There was more... but basically that's why I decided to get the JLT w/ Xcal. Believe me, I've researched "this" until I was blue in the face...
i think you made the right decision. congrats.
Old 11/19/06, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You will not be disapointed...
Old 11/19/06, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

The race tunes are the way to go. I am going to have all race and the 87 tune. The torque tunes just dont have what the race tune seems to have. So I am going to get 93,91 both race and a 87 again.
Old 11/19/06, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

How about the throttle response on the race tunes? I understood that the throttle response was greatly stepped up, making it almost difficult to drive "easy". Does anyone with these tunes find it hard to control the power due to exaggerated throttle response?
Old 11/19/06, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
The race tunes are the way to go. I am going to have all race and the 87 tune. The torque tunes just dont have what the race tune seems to have. So I am going to get 93,91 both race and a 87 again.

I agree about the race tunes being great. I had only tried the Bama performance tunes, not the torque tunes. In my opinion, the Bama performance tunes rendered too little low end torque for my driving style, but really kick butt at mid and upper rpm's. I uploaded the 93 race tune for the first time today, and drove for about an hour mixed city and rural. Lots of torque no matter what throttle setting.....I like it!
Old 11/19/06, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
How about the throttle response on the race tunes? I understood that the throttle response was greatly stepped up, making it almost difficult to drive "easy". Does anyone with these tunes find it hard to control the power due to exaggerated throttle response?
IMO, you can get used to it so that its not a problem.
Old 11/19/06, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I've decided I want to buy a JLT CIA and Xcalibrator 2 tuner. I'm thinking of getting a 93 race tune and a 93 torque tune from bamachips, Im stuck on the 3rd tune, I wanted to get a 89 octane tune, but can't decide if I should get the race tune, the torque tune or the performance tune. What are the differences?
Old 11/19/06, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chili,

Go with the performance tune for your 3rd, you'll love it. Someone had commented earlier that it pulls through all the gears and that's dead on correct, even in my '00 V6. Feels like a TOTALLY different car.

And you can never go wrong with Doug and BamaChips! Awesome tunes and awesome service!
Old 11/19/06, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

What are the effects of mileage with the race tuns, NOT COUNTING your extra desire to press the gas more.
Old 11/19/06, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I have all of Doug's 93 tunes with a JLT CAI. I have been switching around and noticed that I get about 17.8 - 18.0 miles per gallon with both the torque and race tunes. I do get on the throttle quite a lot and think that's pretty decent gas mileage since I mostly drive in town/country, highway once or twice a week. I have been running the 93 performance tune recently and right now my gas mileage is around 14 mpg. Don't know if that's a characteristic of the tune or my driving!! The tunes are all awesome by the way, and the 93 race tune is my favorite.
Old 11/19/06, 09:34 PM
Cobra R Member

I have Doug's tunes with a JLT and am very happy. Right after he finished the Dyno run I took the car for a street test and was totally surprised. Not only did it kick butt out of the hole it fishtailed on the 1-2 shift and cough me not ready for that one. I recovered control but had I not been belted in I would have lost it. This was with 305/45 Nitto DRs on the rear at 30 pounds.
I had another tuners auto tune in the car and Doug added 12 more HP over his tune. All smiles? You bet!!

Quick Reply: TUNES- Race, Torque, & Performance