GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

tillman tunes

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/10, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tillman tunes

i bought a x cal3 from tillman speed and now i am getting a po135 code o2 heater .i have replaced the 2 upstream sensors.just before anyone says anything i am not here to bash ( chris rose)he told me because bbk uses cheaper metal i have to wrap my headers so they can get hotter so the po 135 code does not show up.but i have spoke to many people that have bbk long tubes and other brands and have no problems.some one help me here.
Old 2/28/10, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

not everyones car is the same. wrap the headers and see if that helps. Also double/triple check all the sensors, even the rears if they are turned on. Stock sensors or aftermarket brand?
Old 2/28/10, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by classix_stang289
not everyones car is the same. wrap the headers and see if that helps. Also double/triple check all the sensors, even the rears if they are turned on. Stock sensors or aftermarket brand?
all sensors are new and ford motorsports.i should not have to wrap my headers.i know all cars are different.there has to be a way to fix it in the tune.i'm not going to be the only guy that has to wrap my headers.
Old 2/28/10, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jp's performance
all sensors are new and ford motorsports.i should not have to wrap my headers.i know all cars are different.there has to be a way to fix it in the tune.i'm not going to be the only guy that has to wrap my headers.

if there is no way to fix it in the tune, then would you take his advise? im sure he knows what he's doing.
Old 2/28/10, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by classix_stang289
if there is no way to fix it in the tune, then would you take his advise? im sure he knows what he's doing.
i'm sure he does.but wouldn't that be my luck
Old 2/28/10, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor

Will post the same from your threads on other forums:

If the O2 transport delay is what you're referring to, we've already modified this for the difference in length. We've also changed heater duty cycle and other o2 transport related items. I'm going to shoot over a tune update file to try and correct it, but every car is different. Condition of o2 sensors will play a huge role. Aftermarket o2 sensors are known for taking much longer to heat up (Justin over at VMP has a great datalog proving this). In Mass. right now, the weather is nice and cold like it is here in PA. You're going to have o2 heating issues with thin wall headers (coating HELPS but isn't 100%). The o2 transport delay is an adaptive feature that is a learned value. 30% has been added to his table to get him in the window he needs to be in. We will try a few other tricks, but during colder months, sometimes this code will appear even with the most exact of calibrations.

Will make a few adjustments and send over the new tunes to you early this week. Let's see if we can't get it squared away for you! Hope you're enjoying the tunes!
Old 2/28/10, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Will post the same from your threads on other forums:

If the O2 transport delay is what you're referring to, we've already modified this for the difference in length. We've also changed heater duty cycle and other o2 transport related items. I'm going to shoot over a tune update file to try and correct it, but every car is different. Condition of o2 sensors will play a huge role. Aftermarket o2 sensors are known for taking much longer to heat up (Justin over at VMP has a great datalog proving this). In Mass. right now, the weather is nice and cold like it is here in PA. You're going to have o2 heating issues with thin wall headers (coating HELPS but isn't 100%). The o2 transport delay is an adaptive feature that is a learned value. 30% has been added to his table to get him in the window he needs to be in. We will try a few other tricks, but during colder months, sometimes this code will appear even with the most exact of calibrations.

Will make a few adjustments and send over the new tunes to you early this week. Let's see if we can't get it squared away for you! Hope you're enjoying the tunes!
i am thank you.the all out tune is like adding a 75 shot.can't wait to install 4.56's
Old 3/2/10, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you call and tell Chris what was happening before you posted it here? That's the proper way to handle problems. My ARheaders did it until Chris was able to figure what was causing it. And just because someone else doesn't do it doesn't mean your's won't.

Last edited by travelers; 3/2/10 at 08:41 PM.
Old 3/3/10, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by travelers
Did you call and tell Chris what was happening before you posted it here? That's the proper way to handle problems. My ARheaders did it until Chris was able to figure what was causing it. And just because someone else doesn't do it doesn't mean your's won't.
Don't know anything about this guy's interactions, but Tillman is not always very responsive. I had to chase them for a month to get the merchandize I ordered from them. Took my $2K real quick, but if I didn't keep chasing them there's no telling when I would have received all my stuff, despite the fact that I was told several times that the merchandise was in the mail, or would be mailed monday, or I'd have the stuff by end of week, or similar.

Now I finally have my stuff but am having to chase Tillman to provide me a receipt in case anything goes wrong with any of the stuff I bought - I have no proof of purchase except my credit card statement.

No problem tagging my credit card real quick, but that was the only thing done timely.
Real nice

Hopefully they man up and give me a receipt so I don't have to have to keep dorking around with this nonsense.

Edited - 3/4/10. I received the receipt today. Thanks Chris. Appreciate it.

Last edited by futuresvt; 3/4/10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 3/3/10, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by futuresvt
Don't know anything about this guy's interactions, but Tillman is not always very responsive. I had to chase them for a month to get the merchandize I ordered from them. Took my $2K real quick, but if I didn't keep chasing them there's no telling when I would have received all my stuff, despite the fact that I was told several times that the merchandise was in the mail, or would be mailed monday, or I'd have the stuff by end of week, or similar.

Now I finally have my stuff but am having to chase Tillman to provide me a receipt in case anything goes wrong with any of the stuff I bought - I have no proof of purchase except my credit card statement.

No problem tagging my credit card real quick, but that was the only thing done timely.
Real nice

Hopefully they man up and give me a receipt so I don't have to have to keep dorking around with this nonsense.
CR seems like a standup guy, from his responsiveness on the forums.

However, I agree, he's pretty hard to get ahold of. I've been trying to get my tune updated since September 2009.. I'm getting my summer tires mounted and balanced this week, so I'm really hoping for an update before the weekend.. but who knows, I've been waiting for 6 months now.

I give him the benefit of the doubt.. I think he's just really busy.
Old 3/3/10, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not here to bash Tillman. I always heard they had a good reputation, which is what led me to do business with them, but I only know what I experienced. So I posted up my experience with them as it seemed pertinent to the thread. For whatever it's worth.
Old 3/3/10, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
CR seems like a standup guy, from his responsiveness on the forums.

However, I agree, he's pretty hard to get ahold of. I've been trying to get my tune updated since September 2009.. I'm getting my summer tires mounted and balanced this week, so I'm really hoping for an update before the weekend.. but who knows, I've been waiting for 6 months now.

I give him the benefit of the doubt.. I think he's just really busy.
???? That's unacceptable...6 months????? Maybe he should get off the forums and satisfy his paying customers. JMO.
Old 3/4/10, 08:50 AM
Former Vendor

Steve, your name is one of about 4 updates that are owed on a list sitting literally 3" from where I'm typing. Your stuff was supposed to get out yesterday but I got slammed, it will go out today.

futuresvt, your receipt has been emailed. I don't know why it never got to you to begin with, our system is automated. Regardless, I have resent the receipt. For future reference, I know it feels like you were chasing us but American Racing usually takes a bit to make up the headers. That mixed with we were still at 7-14 business days turnaround on tune files. It was our busiest time ever. We're past it now and had a chance to smooth things out on our end. Sorry for the inconvenience, I know you waited an extra week or two, but they would have shipped when they shipped. It wasn't "oh crap lets get this stuff out the door, he's mad". The PO went in for the headers right away. Thank you for your business, we do appreciate it.

As for the OP, he's had his updated files since yesterday or the day before.

As a matter of fact, our turnaround time is back to 3-4 business days on custom tune files.

I have about 4 updates pending... that's it.

Alot of times, the easiest way to get ahold of us is to call. I'm the only person here doing all of the calibration. I work into the hours of the night, and do it all day long. We have a huge volume of tune files requested, both new orders and updates. Even stopping sales inquiries, I'm still just one person trying to respond to close to 50-100 new tune/old tune update inquiries a day.

Last edited by TillmanSpeed; 3/4/10 at 09:39 AM.
Old 3/4/10, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
???? That's unacceptable...6 months????? Maybe he should get off the forums and satisfy his paying customers. JMO.
Do you see a huge presence on these forums lately? Are you waiting for a tune update from us? I can easily parade the customers who will vouch for sometimes numerous tune updates, or tune updates turned around same day. New orders turned around same day, etc.
Old 3/4/10, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Give Chris a break guys. Hes very busy over at the shop. When he did my custom tune, it was very busy there.. He was answering phones all day as he was tuning my car for Gods sake..
Old 3/4/10, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by topbliss
Give Chris a break guys. Hes very busy over at the shop. When he did my custom tune, it was very busy there.. He was answering phones all day as he was tuning my car for Gods sake..
LOL How is she? I know you're probably just melting out of this mess too, so probably not many chances to drive. Maybe this 40-50 degree weather will last the weekend and you can blast around!
Old 3/4/10, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

futuresvt, your receipt has been emailed. I don't know why it never got to you to begin with, our system is automated. Regardless, I have resent the receipt. For future reference, I know it feels like you were chasing us but American Racing usually takes a bit to make up the headers. That mixed with we were still at 7-14 business days turnaround on tune files. It was our busiest time ever. We're past it now and had a chance to smooth things out on our end. Sorry for the inconvenience, I know you waited an extra week or two, but they would have shipped when they shipped. It wasn't "oh crap lets get this stuff out the door, he's mad". The PO went in for the headers right away. Thank you for your business, we do appreciate it.

As for the OP, he's had his updated files since yesterday or the day before.

As a matter of fact, our turnaround time is back to 3-4 business days on custom tune files.

I have about 4 updates pending... that's it.

Alot of times, the easiest way to get ahold of us is to call. I'm the only person here doing all of the calibration. I work into the hours of the night, and do it all day long. We have a huge volume of tune files requested, both new orders and updates. Even stopping sales inquiries, I'm still just one person trying to respond to close to 50-100 new tune/old tune update inquiries a day.
If that's the case Chris - just tell people that when they order with you. I was told something very different from any of that so I was very dissappointed when what I was told didn't come through. You've got to manage your customers expectations. if you set my expectations too high I'm going to be pissed if you don't meet them. If you give me a reasonable mid-range expectation and meet it, I'm cool with that and a happy customer. If you give me a reasonable expectation (whatever it may be) and then you beat that - I'm stoked and calling you for every other purchase I make b/c you did better than what I reasonably expected.

Last edited by futuresvt; 3/4/10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 3/4/10, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL How is she? I know you're probably just melting out of this mess too, so probably not many chances to drive. Maybe this 40-50 degree weather will last the weekend and you can blast around!
Im changing the valve covers with a set of power coated ones and changing the mufflers so she won't be out this weekend Chris. Been in the garage all winter but got out with it once in January on a nice weekend
Old 3/4/10, 10:46 AM

Steve, your name is one of about 4 updates that are owed on a list sitting literally 3" from where I'm typing. Your stuff was supposed to get out yesterday but I got slammed, it will go out today.
Cool, thanks man. Looking forward to it!
Old 3/4/10, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
Yeah, also, just wanted to clarify to the general public on the 6 month issue: I asked for an update 6 months ago, but mentioned it wasn't a rush, since I would be putting on snow tires soon. I didn't followup or ping CR for 6 months, and then started trying to get back in touch with him on Monday morning. ..So it's not like I've been actively trying to reach him or being ignored.

Also, I can't complain because it's an update on something I bought 3 years ago, and not a new purchase.

But it's true that he's hard to get ahold of. I would see that as a positive though. You can't earn that much business unless you're making alot of customers satisfied.

Quick Reply: tillman tunes