Search this Thread

Old 1/24/06, 02:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yippee !!!
Old 1/24/06, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sitting-Watching-Waiting to make judgement. I still can't see why the Granatelli TB would make power and other brands have failed. But, I will not pass judgement until the #'s are in.
Scott
Old 1/24/06, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 24, 2006, 3:38 PM
Sitting-Watching-Waiting to make judgement. I still can't see why the Granatelli TB would make power and other brands have failed. But, I will not pass judgement until the #'s are in.
Scott

I have discussed in two threads (this one included) about how the throttle blades overtravel. Maybe he knows about it and makes a change in them. A simple set screw into the body against the gear rack would fix it. I am still waiting for an answer for this overtravel of the blades before I go forwards with my install.
Old 1/24/06, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GIG4FUN@January 24, 2006, 3:51 PM
I have discussed in two threads (this one included) about how the throttle blades overtravel. Maybe he knows about it and makes a change in them. A simple set screw into the body against the gear rack would fix it. I am still waiting for an answer for this overtravel of the blades before I go forwards with my install.

I read back thru this post and maybe I missed it but how do you know the blades overtravel? Seems that would be a hard thing to see or figure out. But, if you are correct, I agree it would cut airflow and cut down on horsepower.
Scott
Old 1/24/06, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 24, 2006, 6:13 PM
I read back thru this post and maybe I missed it but how do you know the blades overtravel? Seems that would be a hard thing to see or figure out. But, if you are correct, I agree it would cut airflow and cut down on horsepower.
Scott
I know because I am able to put mine in my hands right now ...hold it and actuate the assembly. I am not liking its overtravel as it clearly does so to a large degree.
The only reason I have not drilled, tapped and put in a set screw yet is because I don't know if the TPS is aware of this type of possibility and "knows" its whereabouts.
Old 1/24/06, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GIG4FUN@January 24, 2006, 6:45 PM
I know because I am able to put mine in my hands right now ...hold it and actuate the assembly. I am not liking its overtravel as it clearly does so to a large degree.
The only reason I have not drilled, tapped and put in a set screw yet is because I don't know if the TPS is aware of this type of possibility and "knows" its whereabouts.

I understand. I am no genius but it would seem that the motor that accuates the TB blades would only rotate 90 degs. @ WOT and not any further. I would think it would not be a good idea for there to be a set screw to stop the rotation of the blades since it could cause an overload on the motor. I bet it is like any computer controlled rotory acuator and the computer knows exactly where the blades are at. In a manual linkage you had to have a stop to control blade travel. My bet is they do not overtravel. But it is just a guess on my part.
Scott
Old 1/24/06, 06:39 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 24, 2006, 6:58 PM
I understand. I am no genius but it would seem that the motor that accuates the TB blades would only rotate 90 degs. @ WOT and not any further. I would think it would not be a good idea for there to be a set screw to stop the rotation of the blades since it could cause an overload on the motor. I bet it is like any computer controlled rotory acuator and the computer knows exactly where the blades are at. In a manual linkage you had to have a stop to control blade travel. My bet is they do not overtravel. But it is just a guess on my part.
Scott
Well then, You are able to understand, and then ADD to the guessing. :bang: I wonder what it will take to know.

You should also understand that the blades are open a bit at idle so 90 degree's from idle would be too far.

I sure wish I knew, I imagine someone could install a tiny camera like they use for surgeries to "see" it as it works down the road. Any doctors here?

Thanks Scott for the input. I think the answer is still not known yet though.
Old 1/24/06, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GIG4FUN@January 24, 2006, 5:42 PM
I sure wish I knew, I imagine someone could install a tiny camera like they use for surgeries to "see" it as it works down the road. Any doctors here?
hehe... throttloscopy...
Old 1/24/06, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

couldn't you turn the ignition on/engine off, and have the hose for the intake removed, and have someone watch the throttle blades move? would they still move with the engine off?
Old 1/24/06, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I called Granatelli as directed in his email, today. The lady at the desk said he was unavailable and I spoke with another member of the company through voicemail to possibly schedule an appointment for saturday. If that cannot be arranged I am willing to skip classes on Friday to get this done and to report the results to you guys.

Shame to those who suggested that JR Granatelli was avoiding the situation with his "vacation". He has been kind and patient through email and the lady I talked to today was the same.

I am awaiting a return call tomorrow.
Old 1/25/06, 02:52 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by stkdidy@January 25, 2006, 12:04 AM
I called Granatelli as directed in his email, today. The lady at the desk said he was unavailable and I spoke with another member of the company through voicemail to possibly schedule an appointment for saturday. If that cannot be arranged I am willing to skip classes on Friday to get this done and to report the results to you guys.

Shame to those who suggested that JR Granatelli was avoiding the situation with his "vacation". He has been kind and patient through email and the lady I talked to today was the same.

So glad! Thank you!
Old 1/25/06, 06:52 AM

Go to www.mustangforums.com and do a serch for " throttle body video " and see the video of the camera in the throttle body. It doesn`t show any over rotation but it will clear up any doubts about how fast the plates open up and how a new TB might improve throttle response. BTW I am a Bamachips fan.
Old 1/25/06, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by stkdidy@January 25, 2006, 1:04 AM

Old 1/25/06, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

the waiting game continues...
Old 1/25/06, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GIG4FUN@January 24, 2006, 9:42 PM
Well then, You are able to understand, and then ADD to the guessing. :bang: I wonder what it will take to know.

You should also understand that the blades are open a bit at idle so 90 degree's from idle would be too far.

Thanks Scott for the input. I think the answer is still not known yet though.

i posted this video i made a while back on another forum. It's probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it does show that the blades open all the way which is what I was trying to prove.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_901512/tm.htm

that is the stock throttle body.
Old 1/25/06, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

PATIENTLY WAITING!.... NOT!!!! I watched the video 3 times. I must be getting slow in my old age cause it was either so fast I didn't see it or it didn't happen. I am probably just getting OLD!!
Scott
Old 1/25/06, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by official_style@January 24, 2006, 11:46 PM
couldn't you turn the ignition on/engine off, and have the hose for the intake removed, and have someone watch the throttle blades move? would they still move with the engine off?
I would imagine that I would have a false result because there was no airflow, groundspeed, stuff the computer would want to see to actuate ...I am thinking anyway.

I am gunna go watch the video now! should be cool BUT it still is a stock one so I think the wise thing woudl be to ask:?
Does the stock one overtravel when it is off the car and in your hand and you manually throttle it open. That would be a nice thing to contribute to mix...!
Old 1/25/06, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by atomic_il@January 25, 2006, 10:02 AM
i posted this video i made a while back on another forum. It's probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it does show that the blades open all the way which is what I was trying to prove.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_901512/tm.htm

that is the stock throttle body.

Very nice! I am gunna go watch the video now! should be cool BUT it still is a stock one so I think the wise thing woudl be to ask:?
Does the stock one overtravel when it is off the car and in your hand and you manually throttle it open. That would be a nice thing to contribute to mix...!

Is there onyone out there that has done the swap that coudl take a stock one and see if it is able to travel way too far open?
Old 1/25/06, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GIG4FUN@January 25, 2006, 5:55 PM
Very nice! I am gunna go watch the video now! should be cool BUT it still is a stock one so I think the wise thing woudl be to ask:?

Is there onyone out there that has done the swap that coudl take a stock one and see if it is able to travel way too far open?

Well... if you can tell anything from that video you are a better man than I!!!

Scott
Old 1/25/06, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@January 25, 2006, 6:41 PM
Well... if you can tell anything from that video you are a better man than I!!!

Scott
Wow, It reminds me of something, but I can't tell enough from what I saw to jog my memory!

ditto on what you said!

At least I think it will be very good to have someone that has their stock one off check it out. Then I would know enough because, If the stock one overtravels...I leave the new one alone, If it doesn't I put in a stop and then I won't worry about the throttle motor burning out....

Anyone have theirs off and can check this please? :worship:

Quick Reply: Throttle Body