GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TCI Ratchet Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/10, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most I looked at have a kinda "universal" fit through differant reducers. I did have others in mind, but decided to stay true & proud of TCI.
Old 1/28/10, 02:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow man that looks so Manual
Looks great now I'm rethinking about installing one!
Old 1/28/10, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by anteyeiabazele
Wow man that looks so Manual
Looks great now I'm rethinking about installing one!

Of course looks are a big reason for these, no HP gains, but they give you oppertunity to have some easy fun shifting too. I don't use it very often really, but when you're in the mood it's sure fun. I'm going to try auto-cross this spring and it may help there?
Old 1/31/10, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Do those come in a heated version?? While I haven't taken might out of the garage yet I was messing with it last night and it was only 22 degrees outside. At times like this there is alot to be said for the stock plastic handle. Where did you get that? It does look cool!

I found reciept, it was from JEGS $14.99
Old 1/31/10, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

my shifter came in. gonna try and install it with a friend next sunday. has anyone installed these with a set of ramps? or did everybody use jackstands?

i only have ramps. my car is slightly lowered. i am just concerned i won't be able to get to the shifter cable.

also, if anyone did use ramps. did you put the front or rear wheels on the ramps? thanks for any help. gonna place an order for a hurst t-handle tonight. i don't really like the stock handle.
Old 2/1/10, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
my shifter came in. gonna try and install it with a friend next sunday. has anyone installed these with a set of ramps? or did everybody use jackstands?

i only have ramps. my car is slightly lowered. i am just concerned i won't be able to get to the shifter cable.

also, if anyone did use ramps. did you put the front or rear wheels on the ramps? thanks for any help. gonna place an order for a hurst t-handle tonight. i don't really like the stock handle.

I know it can be done, a friend did it. I had to go to a friends lift. My body didn't like the contortions needed, I did try though. PS: not a bad idea to have an extra clip handy. The first time removing it was a learning experience (I broke it). Next time I knew how to not break it.

Last edited by ARBO; 2/1/10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 2/1/10, 04:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well yes it can be done. Depends how skinny you are I guess! I did mine up on two sets of ramps but I used a floor jack to get the car up on them. My ramps are about 8-9 inches tall front and back. I made it under the car on a creeper but my belly was rubbing the side skirts on the way in!! And I like Tim (Orginial poster) have an extra clip if someone needs one!

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 2/1/10 at 04:23 PM.
Old 2/1/10, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe if your forearms are REALLY short! I think that would be mighty tight, I found it really difficult to get up under there even with the car lifted high off the ground with jack stands. Still others seem to have done it so might as well give it a try!

Tim
Old 2/4/10, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Finally had a chance to drive the Stang today between snow storms. I am really impressed with how smooth the TCI auto shifter works. It's really going to be fun this spring and summer. But I have a question. Does anyone know if it is possible to downshift into a lower gear and cause an RPM flare that could be hurtfull? Or will the computer program not allow that to happen. Because it could happen very easily if the computer doesn't control that from happening.
Old 2/5/10, 02:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to downshift into a lower gear and cause an RPM flare that could be hurtful? Or will the computer program not allow that to happen? Because it could happen very easily if the computer doesn't control that from happening.
Great questions... "bump."

Russ
Old 2/5/10, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
my car will not go into a lower gear untill its ready or at the right RPM's or it may be a speed thing. On decel I downshift and it does not shift untill I'm at the riight speed. I can blip the throttle sometimes and it will downshift but it does not over wind.
So to answer your question I would have to say NO!
Old 2/6/10, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

i put the shifter in myself today. i ended up using both ramps and jack stands. for me the only hard part was that second clip. i had a hard time getting both retaining clips disengaged at the same time.

fed ex left a message and my hurst t-handle and headers are downstairs with our security guard.

i just realized that i forgot to reconnect the power outlet and the aux input outlet in my center console. at least it is pretty minor. gonna put my t-handle on and re-connect the wires i forgot.

Last edited by sound wave; 2/6/10 at 07:22 PM. Reason: problem i asked about is fixed
Old 2/10/10, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

just a shot in the dark, but do any of you that swapped out the shifters have your stock one lying around and feel the urge to get it out of your sight?
my IUP shifter is delaminating like crazy, and really didn't want to have to fork out $120. for one from the dealer.
let me know, we can work something out.
thanks!
Old 2/10/10, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by firestang
just a shot in the dark, but do any of you that swapped out the shifters have your stock one lying around and feel the urge to get it out of your sight?
my IUP shifter is delaminating like crazy, and really didn't want to have to fork out $120. for one from the dealer.
let me know, we can work something out.
thanks!

Better call the dealer and do a price check. I have mine and am willing to sell it. The dealer wants $270 + tax for a new unit. Which I thought was very reasonable. Send me a PM with an offer. We can work a deal. And mine is an IUP unit.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 2/10/10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2/10/10, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Better call the dealer and do a price check. I have mine and am willing to sell it. The dealer wants $270 + tax for a new unit. Which I thought was very reasonable. Send me a PM with an offer. We can work a deal. And mine is an IUP unit.
sorry, need to clarify. i just need the actual stalk. not the whole setup. mine is splitting at the seam at the top. this florida sun is killer!!!
Old 2/10/10, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by firestang
sorry, need to clarify. i just need the actual stalk. not the whole setup. mine is splitting at the seam at the top. this florida sun is killer!!!

Ha Ha Ha...no parting out the shifter. Buy a TCI unit. The sun won't hurt aluminum and steel!
Old 2/20/10, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

---- never mind ----

Last edited by sound wave; 2/20/10 at 06:50 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 2/20/10, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I can't
Old 3/17/10, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
No no...lol..I mean in ACTION my friend. driving that baby..grab a co-pilot and shoot a vid.

So whats your thoughts after driving it with the new shifter?

Okay Colby...."This Vid's for You" You asked along time ago for a vid of the TCI shifter in action and never got one. So now that the snow has findly melted in these parts and I can get the car out again I did this just for you so I can show you that you are slacking in the mods to your car. Do you want one??? Or do you need one??? I think you NEED one. You said grab a co-pilot and shoot a vid. Well my co-pilot is in a different state for a few days so I had to do it myself. This is without a doubt the toughest vid I have made in the 5 years I have owned the car. Camera in one hand...green beer in the other and trying to shift at the same time. Geez!!

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...d.flv&newest=1

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/17/10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 3/18/10, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Scott. Looks **** smooth. I like it. Thanks for FINALLY shooting the video. Sheeesh, it's not like you had a few feet of snow blocking your car from the road.

Quick Reply: TCI Ratchet Shifter Install