GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TCI Ratchet Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/09, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your right about that. It's not supposed to go into neutral, but at times it does especially if you "slam" it from 1 to D quickly. I suspect the little catch may not have had time to engage when doing this. With the TCI shifter it's impossible to do that. This is one of the very reasons I decided to pull the trigger on the TCI unit.

Tim
Old 1/10/09, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah i feel better now. trigger is pulled and a tci shifter is on the way to my home. almost soothing really.
Old 1/11/09, 12:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

god i want this, and i wonder if CR at tillman can tune for this.
Old 1/11/09, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
ah i feel better now. trigger is pulled and a tci shifter is on the way to my home. almost soothing really.
which shop did you order it from Bama, Evoperf?
Old 1/11/09, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

So you going to try and install it yourself?

Tim
Old 10/4/09, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

tdbrown75 or anyone with knowledge,

Question about the retaining clip #2 mentioned in this recommened thread to read. It says to remove the clip & discard, and later install a new one. I didn't see that in your write-up. Do I just re-use clip or get a new one from Ford ASAP? I plan to install shifter on Wed.

1.Selector Lever Removal and Installation: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=258&viewfil...or%20Lever.pdf
Old 10/4/09, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
tdbrown75 or anyone with knowledge,

Question about the retaining clip #2 mentioned in this recommened thread to read. It says to remove the clip & discard, and later install a new one. I didn't see that in your write-up. Do I just re-use clip or get a new one from Ford ASAP? I plan to install shifter on Wed.

1.Selector Lever Removal and Installation: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=258&viewfil...or%20Lever.pdf
Use a new one, they are like $7 from the dealer and there's a good chance you will break the old one getting it off (unless your using a lift).

Tim
Old 10/4/09, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Tim. I am using a lift, but I'll get one anyway.
Steve
Old 10/6/09, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update on my install. Glad I got that clip. I tried on jacks stands first, impaciant, and broke clip. Then I went to friends house and got it on a lift. Install went well, put on new exhaust mufflers too.
Went to try out the shifter, not good. The LED does not light up and it gets stuck in Park. I have to manually manuver the silaniod (don't know how to spell that word) to get it out of Park (brake release part not working). I'm guessing bad siliniod or something electrical. But, I'm not consercerned at this point. I'll start the calling tomorrow and get another one coming. And you know how everything is easier the more you do it. We, I'm ready for the next install, soon I plan on.
Old 10/7/09, 08:54 AM
GT Member

That really sucks, but I think TCI will make good on the shifter. I haven't heard of anyone else having this kind of a problem.
Old 10/7/09, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
Update on my install. Glad I got that clip. I tried on jacks stands first, impaciant, and broke clip. Then I went to friends house and got it on a lift. Install went well, put on new exhaust mufflers too.
Went to try out the shifter, not good. The LED does not light up and it gets stuck in Park. I have to manually manuver the silaniod (don't know how to spell that word) to get it out of Park (brake release part not working). I'm guessing bad siliniod or something electrical. But, I'm not consercerned at this point. I'll start the calling tomorrow and get another one coming. And you know how everything is easier the more you do it. We, I'm ready for the next install, soon I plan on.
Sorry, I meant to put this under my thread not here.
BTW it an eletrical problem with TCI shifter, new one on the way
Old 10/19/09, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

ok so i installed this bad boy myself a couple months ago and now it seems to have developed an annoying buzzing sound at about 1500 rpm. seems like the sound is coming from deep in the shifter, i.e. not the handle or actuator. just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. i'm gonna tare the console out one of these days and make sure the four securing bolts are tight which i'd bet on my life they are.

-Ben
Old 10/19/09, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok so i installed this bad boy myself a couple months ago and now it seems to have developed an annoying buzzing sound at about 1500 rpm. seems like the sound is coming from deep in the shifter, i.e. not the handle or actuator. just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. i'm gonna tare the console out one of these days and make sure the four securing bolts are tight which i'd bet on my life they are.

-Ben
There is a TSB for that related to a loose exhaust bracket. Check it out before tearing up your console!

Tim
Old 10/23/09, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

ahah thanks Tim. i had completely forgotten about that bad boy. wish my car was still in warranty. looks like this repair is gonna be all me.
Old 11/3/09, 04:33 AM
Bullitt Member

It sounds like there's lot of issues with this rachet shifter and not a lot of positive gains besides a better look and more njoyable drive sessions! I wanted to get this for my summer vacation ride in Greece but with all the problems encountered i got discouraged and will wait for maybe improvements!
Old 12/4/09, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking for an early Xmas present. Who presently has the best price on this shifter????
Old 12/4/09, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Summit has em for $339 right now. I have heard that there are several places that have them for $319 but I can't remember where.
Old 12/4/09, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got mine at JEG's. Great customer service on swap out, and the shifter has been working like a champ since installed!
Old 12/5/09, 01:58 AM
Bullitt Member

on ebay

Have seen the shifter on ebay for 315 from TCI
Old 12/5/09, 04:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Guys. I will check all these places out. I got a tip that CJ Pony my have them on sale for as low as $305. I will let you know what I find.

EDIT!!

Okay once I started reading all the info on CJ Pony Parts website I found out that the TCI autoshifter does not qualify for the 10% off and it's regular price is $339.95 just like Jegs and Summit. I saw it advertised on Ebay for the $315 price plus shipping but did not get the feeling it was offered by TCI.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 12/5/09 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: TCI Ratchet Shifter Install