GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Spoiler Delete=Performance or Cosmetic?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/06, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an observation about the rear spoiler on my car. Today it was loaded full of snow. Almost two full inches from the glass to the end of the spoiler. As I was driving none of the snow was disturbed from the air flow over the Mustang. On the other hand the hood was blasting snow off the front like crazy. By the time I got to work my hood was snow free (some of it melted), my roof had one inch and the trunklid/spoiler still had about the same amount of snow on it.

So, my conclusion is that there is very little air flow hitting the rear trunklid and spoiler as it skims off the roof. Well, not enough to blast snow off. I'd have to say the rear spoilers are just decorative.
Old 11/27/06, 05:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blkstang06
True the S197 was designed for a nostalgic look !the ascetic's do compromised the aerodynamics properties! the blunt front does stimulate more drag! Why do you think the acrylic head light Shields are there! The front catches a lot of air! thats why at about 80 MPH you'll start to see the hood flex up and down! There are automotive articles talking about how the hoods kept blowing off the developmental Cobra500 test mules at about 140MPH thats why their hoods are vented to relive air pressure build-up!, Aerodynamics and gas mileage is not what the S197 is about!!..... I've got cars in the garage for that!
Burp!....
Old 11/28/06, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Notice this picture! Mr.2MFF see the GT spoiler Incorporated into the rear of the car! is it above the roof line ! no its not...now if you will follow the arrows of the picture you drew in your therapy session! notice how the the air flow fallows the contour of the roof line! even thou your picture has the arrow dynamics of a rock! those arrows move across the back of the car! signifying air flow! right Mr. Blow dryer! since you might not recognize a car thats not drawn with crayons! this is a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT list price $440.000 arguably the best automotive engineers in the world designed this automobile and I guess you think they just stuck it on the rear of the car for looks.I've been racing for over thirty years slick! and your talking sideways out of your blow hole!
If I'm Mr. Blowdryer I guess that makes you Mr. Ignorant?

The arrows in the picture do not denote aif flow, they denote down or lift forces as air flows over a car (see Bernoulli principle for reference). I did not draw the picture it is from a site describing aerodynamics, but I figured since you can not read a picture might suffice. Sadly I was wrong.

Thanks for posting that pic of the CGT. What you obviously fail to realize is that "the best automotive engineers in the world" did design that car to be fast AND as stable as possible. To do this they needed the ability to have either reduced drag OR high downforce. How did they accomplish this? By creating an extendible wing. When high downforce is desired the wing extends upward into the air flow (above the flow line of the roof), when low drag is desired the wing sits in the position of the pic you posted. Amazing isn't it, that one car can support everything I have been saying. How's your foot taste?

Old 11/28/06, 08:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you had been reading this thread ! you would see that this was my original statement on the functionality of the rear spoiler!... PS: I realize the spoiler on PC GT does deploy but its elevation still doesn't clear the roof line!
Mr 2MFF if I'm ignorant your obviously STUPID! if you would read a thread! before jumping in pounding your chest ! you would have read my second post in this thread were I clearly stated what I thought the Best function of the GT spoiler was ! but no your the typical pompous know it all! Did you ever stop and think why I posted that picture of the PC GT I had to look awhile to find that angle! that wasn't by accident Slick! The basic principles of drag and uplift on a automobile are not a guarded secret! But I would like you to post a clip showing everyone how you can make the spoiler on the Mustang GT flex with a BLOW DRYER but no pictures with crayons please! Just hav'in some fun! I hope your not that easy on the track!PS: How does MY foot taste....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondosa
spoiler delete = hotness! (oh, and purly cosmetic, there's no way the stock spoiler does anything technical)

I have to disagree!! the factory spoiler is very functional!...its great for hanging your swim trunks on while driving home from the beach! ..dry in no time!! So There....
Old 11/28/06, 09:08 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He who calls the other person the worser name wins.

Disclaimer - yes worser is spelled wrong, I'm not Mr Bad Speller, just talking childish.
Old 11/28/06, 02:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
He who calls the other person the worser name wins.

Disclaimer - yes worser is spelled wrong, I'm not Mr Bad Speller, just talking childish.
O' please, don't say that ! don't turn this into Gladiator! I was just Yank'in some chain! Love's what makes the world go round!
Old 11/28/06, 03:28 PM

I ordered spoiler delete for cosmetic reasons. I thought the car looked more like a 69 or 70 mustang without it. The spoiler has a modern look to it in my opinion. I also just wanted something a little different. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler Delete=Performance or Cosmetic?-copy-mustang-stripes-001.jpg  
Old 11/28/06, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cobra1993ky
I ordered spoiler delete for cosmetic reasons. I thought the car looked more like a 69 or 70 mustang without it. The spoiler has a modern look to it in my opinion. I also just wanted something a little different. Dan

Hey Dan ,
Welcome to the forum. As you can tell from my avatar I can compare the spoiler on my 70 Mach 1 to my 05 Gt. Other than the one on the 70 being painted black they are very close in shape and size to the 05 - 07 spoilers. I am a little confused by your statment that the spoiler delete look more like the 69 or 70 mustangs. In fact I understood that Ford used the shape of the old Mach 1's spoiler as a base line for the 05 stangs.
Scott P.S. Your car still looks awesome without the spoiler!!!
Old 11/28/06, 04:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Dan ,
Welcome to the forum. As you can tell from my avatar I can compare the spoiler on my 70 Mach 1 to my 05 Gt. Other than the one on the 70 being painted black they are very close in shape and size to the 05 - 07 spoilers. I am a little confused by your statment that the spoiler delete look more like the 69 or 70 mustangs. In fact I understood that Ford used the shape of the old Mach 1's spoiler as a base line for the 05 stangs.
Scott
Hey! 70MACH1OWNER!, right on! I'm old enough to remember clearly when the 70 Mach's hit the dealer lots! I was thirteen and that spoiler is part of the package Big Daddy!! Thats why I went with the Roush Hood Scoop it looks more Mach1!! theres more to life than functioality!!......
Old 11/28/06, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey! 70MACH1OWNER!, right on! I'm old enough to remember clearly when the 70 Mach's hit the dealer lots! I was thirteen and that spoiler is part of the package Big Daddy!! Thats why I went with the Roush Hood Scoop it looks more Mach1!! theres more to life than functioality!!......
Welcome to the old farts club.... I have a picture of my 70 Mach1 and the 05 sitting next to each other and if I can figure out how to down size the picture and post the picture ( with out the wifes help) I will.
Scott
Old 11/28/06, 04:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Dan ,
Scott
Yeah, but the 70 Mach was ahead of it's time. Without the spoiler, the car looks more retro IMO, even if it can be compared to spoilers of the past.
Heck, random thought - ever notice that some of the big ricer wings look like they're off of an old Daytona?
Old 11/28/06, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Yeah, but the 70 Mach was ahead of it's time. Without the spoiler, the car looks more retro IMO, even if it can be compared to spoilers of the past.
Heck, random thought - ever notice that some of the big ricer wings look like they're off of an old Daytona?
Yeah.... I'm glad Dodge did that. Of course I wished I owned one of the old Dodge Daytona's. I'd sell it and buy 2 Boss 429's
Scott
Old 11/28/06, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The 70 Mach1 and 05 rear spoilers are aweful close to the same. You guys be the judge.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler Delete=Performance or Cosmetic?-rear-spoilers.jpg  
Old 11/28/06, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

This thread is still going. I've seen multiple Carrera GT's at the track. What an amazing machine! What was better is that the day that I was at the track, an Enzo showed up too. Seeing both of those cars up close and road racing was amazing.
Old 11/28/06, 06:48 PM

Hey Dan ,
Scott P.S. Your car still looks awesome without the spoiler!!!
You are right Scott, I cant deny that the 70 mach spoiler is nearly identical to the new gt spoiler. When I said that the new gt looks more retro without the spoiler, I was thinking of a plain jane 69 or 70 mustang coupe. Love your mach 1. Dan
Old 11/28/06, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The 70 Mach1 and 05 rear spoilers are aweful close to the same. You guys be the judge.
Scott
Thats a great picture! of your 70 and 05 side beside !...man when you see the two together, its just not the spoilers that look alike! Its like looking at a mother and daughter standing together! you can tell where the daughter got her butt!!.....