GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Spoiler Delete=Performance or Cosmetic?

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/06 | 07:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
I am going to have to disagree and Ford would as well. Ford spent considerable time working on the aero of the GT500.
I agree Jason..you do need the relative speed for these spoilers to function but they will! and do! ...
Old 11/24/06 | 07:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I am going to have to disagree and Ford would as well. Ford spent considerable time working on the aero of the GT500.
When did this change to a GT500 thread?
When did the GT500 weigh in at 3500lbs.?
When did the GT500 have a spoiler delete option?
The GT500 has a totally different spoiler.
Old 11/24/06 | 07:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by karman
It was in response to a "3500+ lbs" car doesn't need downforce. I know the GT500 weighs 3920 and has a totally different spoiler. The point was that SVT put careful thought into the aerodynamics of the GT500. The Mustang GT's spoiler is functional at a given speed, but that speed not be one that's smart to obtain on the street.

Read the last 4 paragraphs:
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=20501
Old 11/24/06 | 07:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Here is what a functional race spoiler looks like:

Also a good read:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in.../wing_tech.php

Granted it's not a S197, but it does show how a properly spec'd wing works.
Old 11/24/06 | 07:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So what ! no it does weight more do to the cast iron engine block! its still a GT, Ford does realize most standard GT's will not be competitively used! and some buyers are more worried about looks! than function so theres spoiler delete!!
Old 11/24/06 | 07:37 PM

Here is what a functional race spoiler looks like:
Also a good read:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in.../wing_tech.php

Granted it's not a S197, but it does show how a properly spec'd wing works.
Yeah,yeah yeah...
My point is that the stock spoiler (which you can delete from the factory) on the Mustang GT (which is the topic here) don't do diddley squat and could look better. (So why put it on?)
Old 11/24/06 | 07:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yeah,yeah yeah...
My point is that the stock spoiler (which you can delete from the factory) on the Mustang GT (which is the topic here) don't do diddley squat and could look better. (So why put it on?)
Where is your "tech" to refute that it does didley squat? Seems like a lot of BS and no hard evidence. At a certain speed the GT spoiler is functional.
Old 11/24/06 | 08:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Number 1 if you would actually read the posts! you would realize I said nothing about the Corvette!.. and from the list of your Mods a spoiler would not be apropreate... but curb feelers would!! and I would be willing to bet the only time you have seen 120 MPH is on TV...Because unlike you!.. I have my NHRA license and am a former USAC sanctioned driver...so grow up! Sweet Pea!!..
LOL!!! You're right, you didn't... My bad. I got your common avatar mixed up... There are at least 25 of them here. Although I don't care, I'll have to take your word on your driving credentials. Did I mention, "I don't care"? I appreciate the unsolicited biographical data though. I know that we're all very impressed that we're in the internet presence of a licenced NHRA driver.
Old 11/24/06 | 08:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

There was alot of discussion about this on this forum awhile back. I recall reading from a reliable source ( I believe that it came from Ford) that there was no noticeable down force until you reach 80mph. Personally I want all the traction I can get at speeds over 80.
Old 11/24/06 | 09:30 PM

Where is your "tech" to refute that it does didley squat? Seems like a lot of BS and no hard evidence. At a certain speed the GT spoiler is functional.
Where is your tech "PROOF" that shows I am not correct.
Sounds like somebody believes BS and not hard evidence or they would agree with me.

TELL ME THE CERTAIN SPEED... Prove me wrong, I double dog dare you!

By the way... it looks just like the spoiler on my Hyundai Accent GT. (At what certain speed...?)
Old 11/24/06 | 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't think the spoiler significantly affects performance one way or the other, whether to create "drag" or "downforce", except at maybe triple digit speeds. But what do I know? I'm no NHRA licensed driver!

It comes down to whether you like the looks or not, which I do. The car feels "incomplete" to me without it. Anyhow, it's certainly nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

You like it? Cool...
You don't like it? Cool...
Old 11/24/06 | 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like somebody believes BS and not hard evidence or they would agree with me.

By the way... it looks just like the spoiler on my Hyundai Accent GT. (At what certain speed...?)
Who cares ......so what!

Chill! Its all about making it MYMUSTANG! Right?

On a side note: Ducktails are GM! no spoiler is sissy IMO!

FLAME ON!
Old 11/24/06 | 09:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Wheres your TECH proof showing your correct !...Simple test for you ! instead of running your mouth try your car! 120MPH FOR THREE MIN: with spoiler!.. 120 FOR THREE MIN: with out spoiler! then you will know! but I don't think you have the pool ***** to do 120 + for three Min:.....
Old 11/24/06 | 10:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
LOL!!! You're right, you didn't... My bad. I got your common avatar mixed up... There are at least 25 of them here. Although I don't care, I'll have to take your word on your driving credentials. Did I mention, "I don't care"? I appreciate the unsolicited biographical data though. I know that we're all very impressed that we're in the internet presence of a licenced NHRA driver.
Common response from a person with no personal experience! your just another poser!!
Old 11/24/06 | 10:06 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Originally Posted by Rebel73
It comes down to whether you like the looks or not, which I do. The car feels "incomplete" to me without it. Anyhow, it's certainly nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

You like it? Cool...

Exactly. Some think the factory spoiler is a performance detriment (drag/weight) and others think it's an asset (downforce). Either way its effect is probably miniscule to the point of being irrelevant.

I wouldn't get the spoiler option because it might increase my downforce, and I wouldn't get the spoiler delete option because it has less drag/weight. I would never notice it either way. Get what is most visually pleasing to you.

I'm a spoiler delete guy myself.
Old 11/24/06 | 10:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Common response from a person with no personal experience! your just another poser!!
I see that you've changed your avatar...lol. It's all good brother... Just busting chops
Old 11/24/06 | 10:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't think the spoiler significantly affects performance one way or the other, whether to create "drag" or "downforce", except at maybe triple digit speeds. But what do I know? I'm no NHRA licensed driver!

You like it? Cool...
Ground affects and spoilers are minamal until triple digit speeds are ran for the most part! but a Mustang Gt as you well know is more than capable of running triple digit speeds for extended periods of time! the question was functional or cosmetic! if you optimize the vehicles potential it is functional! The degree of functionality! was not the question! .... by the way I don't were panties big boy!!
Old 11/24/06 | 10:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You like it? Cool...
Finally, someone who makes sense...
Old 11/24/06 | 10:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I see that you've changed your avatar...lol. It's all good brother... Just busting chops
Over the years I've lost a couple of good Friends in the pursuit of speed! and when the question is posed I am going to give the most honest answer I can derived from personal experience.. for everybody's safe pursuit of speed!!
Old 11/24/06 | 10:50 PM

Wheres your TECH proof showing your correct !...Simple test for you ! instead of running your mouth try your car! 120MPH FOR THREE MIN: with spoiler!.. 120 FOR THREE MIN: with out spoiler! then you will know! but I don't think you have the pool ***** to do 120 + for three Min:.....
Another BS believer.

You don't know to whom you are speaking.
I was driving at over 100 when you were still riding a tricycle.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Delete=Performance or Cosmetic?