GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which Short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/06, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
What exactly is the difficulty getting into 5th and reverse? Is there some sort of excessive lateral spring tension that you have to overcome?
My Tri-Ax is the same with 5th and reverse. I have had it in for a week now and getting to 5th and reverse just takes a little more "effort" to get to. Not that it is harder IMO, just that you need to move the stick further to the right to get to each. This is by design as the Pro 5.0 and Tri-Ax are built for racing in which case you wouldn't be using 5th on the strip not to mention I hope you wouldn't be using reverse . Aslo the increased distance to get to 5th is what makes it virtually impossible to miss 3rd when you are really ripping through the gears on the strip or track.

Rich, gratz on the install. Tom is right, a couple hundred miles you should be able to shift with just your wrist.
Old 11/13/06, 05:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPStang06
Nice Rich. What department, plumbing? That looks like the stuff Chris was talking about.
Hey Gary,

I didn't have time this past weekend to install my new shifter. However, while I was at Home Depot (Pines Blvd & Flamingo Rd), I picked up the same product. It's called Gasket Rubber (6" X 6" X 3/32"), by PlumbShop, part nbr PS2464. It was located in one of the isles towards the back of the store, behind the kitchen remodeling area. There's a disabled guy (in wheelchair) that works in the Plumbing area that's really knowledgable, who took me right to it. I never would've found it on my own. I'm 6'1", and it was on a shelf much higher, and inside a bin, so it was completely out of view. The cost was under $2.
Old 11/13/06, 06:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks man . Will definatley pick some up.
Old 11/13/06, 06:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
You have to make sure the shifter moves all the way over to the right. I've had some trouble getting into 5th and Reverse with the stock shifter on a GT/CS. 1-4 were fairly easy to get into though.
Old 11/16/06, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

LFP-holiday special

Thanks guys, you talked me into a Pro 5.0 shifter, can't wait! I talked to Jesse and he said that for the holidays there is free shipping on all 05-06 mustang stuff. The code is "hohoho".

Hope that helps someone! BTW, I got the $245 with free shipping!
Old 11/16/06, 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm loving my Pro 5.0!
Old 11/16/06, 07:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm very happy for you guys that have opted for the Pro5.0 unit. Oh, and you too Gary with the Triax. Congrats to everyone- now go bang those gears!!!
Old 11/16/06, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Oh, and you too Gary with the Triax. Congrats to everyone- now go bang those gears!!!
Old 11/18/06, 02:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

I installed my Pro 5.0 from LFP today. The install went pretty smooth, until it came time to attach the shift ****. The shift lever that came in the kit doesn't fit the stock shift ****, nor my new Roush Billet w/grips, like Tom has. I tried to call LFP and there was no answer and their mailbox is full. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 11/18/06, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
I installed my Pro 5.0 from LFP today. The install went pretty smooth, until it came time to attach the shift ****. The shift lever that came in the kit doesn't fit the stock shift ****, nor my new Roush Billet w/grips, like Tom has. I tried to call LFP and there was no answer and their mailbox is full. Am I the only one with this problem?
I had to muscle my Roush **** on there; it was hard at first but it's super tight and hasn't moved at all in two months now. It's up to you how hard you want to force it; I had to really muscle it on there but if you're not comfortable doing that, maybe wait till you can talk to them.
Old 11/18/06, 04:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I used the stock **** and noticed that is wasn't threading exactly the way it should but I got it cranked down good enough and there isn't any movement front to back or side to side. I tried to screw the Pro 5.0 know on the stock shifter and it didn't want to go, so either the thread pattern is different or the size is.
Old 11/18/06, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
I had to muscle my Roush **** on there; it was hard at first but it's super tight and hasn't moved at all in two months now. It's up to you how hard you want to force it; I had to really muscle it on there but if you're not comfortable doing that, maybe wait till you can talk to them.
Clearly, you and Rich received the wrong shift lever too. The Roush shifter **** threads onto the stock shifter perfectly smooth, without force, the way I want it to fit on the new shifter. The threads on the new shift lever are more coarse and you are ruining the ***** by forcing them on. I probably should have bought the tri-ax locally from Steeda, like Gary. BTW, I saw Gary's stang today. That is one beautiful stang, especially that vista blue on a sunny day like today.
Old 11/18/06, 08:43 PM

I am using the Pro5.0 with the stock shift ****. No problems, the **** screwed on just as smooth as the stock shifter. I have run into a half dozen or so others who use the stock **** as well, without problems. I would definitely get in touch with the distributor and let them know about your issues.
Old 11/19/06, 02:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Modified Mustangs magazine did a story on the Pro 5.0 install this month. With the shift lever in the lower position the stock **** really looks buried in the console/boot area. Seems like your hand would be really low and prone to rubbing stuff. Am I wrong? I sort of like the way Hurst uses a taller lever so your hand and arm clears everything.
Old 11/19/06, 10:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 06VistaGT
I am using the Pro5.0 with the stock shift ****. No problems, the **** screwed on just as smooth as the stock shifter. I have run into a half dozen or so others who use the stock **** as well, without problems. I would definitely get in touch with the distributor and let them know about your issues.
I don't really have any issues because I'm happy with the way it works.
Old 11/19/06, 10:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Modified Mustangs magazine did a story on the Pro 5.0 install this month. With the shift lever in the lower position the stock **** really looks buried in the console/boot area. Seems like your hand would be really low and prone to rubbing stuff. Am I wrong? I sort of like the way Hurst uses a taller lever so your hand and arm clears everything.

Do whatever floats your boat. The lever on the lowest position with the stock **** looks just like stock to me. I had the Hurst shifter with the chrome handle and liked how that felt too. Too bad the shifter wasn't as nice as the handle.
Old 11/20/06, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

stock shift **** doesn't fit Pro 5.0, at least Pro 5.0 from LFP

Originally Posted by 06VistaGT
I talked to Mike (possibly Mark) at LFP, who contacted Pro 5.0. Bottom line is Pro 5.0 says that Ford changed the thread size at some point and Pro 5.0 didn't keep up. Instead Pro 5.0 answer was to include their own shift **** (little round black ****), that fits their shifter. So, I reached a dead end. I sent an email to SteedaGus, asking for help. I think the shift lever that Steeda supplys with their Tri-ax will work. I hope so!

Meanwhile, anyone considering to purchase a Pro 5.0 shifter should make sure the shifter will accept the stock ****, which to my knowledge is thread size Metric 12 X 1.75. The Pro 5.0 shifter from LFP does not.
Old 11/20/06, 08:37 PM

Bottom line is Pro 5.0 says that Ford changed the thread size at some point and Pro 5.0 didn't keep up.
Interesting, I didn't know that.

I thought the same thing and initially had the shifter at the higher setting. I have since moved it to the lower setting and actually prefer it there. I haven't noticed a big difference, but going from a stock shifter straight to the lower Pro5.0 setting might be noticeable.
Old 11/20/06, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also lowered mine and it feels perfect,the way it should come out the factory
Old 11/20/06, 10:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I talked to Mike at LFP, who contacted Pro 5.0. Bottom line is Pro 5.0 says that Ford changed the thread size at some point and Pro 5.0 didn't keep up. Instead Pro 5.0 answer was to include their own shift **** (little round black ****), that fits their shifter. So, I reached a dead end. I sent an email to SteedaGus, asking for help. I think the shift lever that Steeda supplys with their Tri-ax will work. I hope so!

Meanwhile, anyone considering to purchase a Pro 5.0 shifter should make sure the shifter will accept the stock ****, which to my knowledge is thread size Metric 12 X 1.75. The Pro 5.0 shifter from LFP does not.
Cool deal Steve. Gus will hook you up and yes my stock shifter fits perfect on the Tri-Ax. Good group of guys at Steeda and they are open on Saturday until 12pm if you can't make it over during the week. Have you driven the car yet with it? Mine feels smoother then the stock shifter ever did now that I have around 500 miles on it.

See you guys on the weekend, heading up to NJ for the Holiday

Quick Reply: Which Short throw shifter?