GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which Short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/06, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am going to try both (Steeda Tri-Ax) to see what I like. I am in the middle of the install right now but need to take a break, camera battery died
Old 11/5/06, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had ordered the Hurst shifter from RPM Outlet ($159.95 btw, best price i've found).

I canceled after seeing this thread. I hope I made the right choice by canceling.

Will Lightning Force Performance give you the same price as calling if you put that information in the comments when you order online? ($249.95 with free shipping)
Old 11/5/06, 07:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mail906
GRAYPNY - SoFLGT05 - Other Pro 5.0 Owners

To all you guys who have the Pro 5.0 that kept the stock **** / stock interior look - I am interested in knowing how the final installation came out.

Does it end up looking like the stock shifter?

Is the height the same / near the same? How about the angle front-to-back?

Recognizing now that the shifter arm can be attached on either side of the Pro 5.0 shifter - how does it feel laterally? Is the shifter about the same or does it feel closer to you in the 1st / 2nd gates? 3rd / 4th gates?

Thanks. I am pretty much sold on the Pro 5.0 - but I want to fully understand it before I go again with it.

PS Anybody in the burbs of Chicago with it?
Hi Walt,

My shifter is suppose to arrive this Tuesday, so I will probably install it next weekend. I'll be sure to take a couple pictures with the stock **** in place, and try to answer all you questions/concerns, to help you with your purchase. I already ordered a Roush billet shift **** w/grips, just like Tom's. I don't yet know how soon the new shift **** will arrive, so I will probably have the stock **** installed for a little while anyway.

BTW, I ordered the Pro 5.0 from LFP last Thursday night around 7pm ET. Later that same evening the UPS tracking showed it had already started its journey to So. FL. That was quick! Thanks Jesse!
Old 11/5/06, 08:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Stang281
Will Lightning Force Performance give you the same price as calling if you put that information in the comments when you order online? ($249.95 with free shipping)
Hey Brandon, I'm pretty sure that you would need to call LFP directly and ask for Jesse, to get the $249 price. When I ordered mine last Thursday, they still had several in stock.
Old 11/5/06, 08:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Walt, I have my shifter installed now. it currently is in the lower position and feels like the stock height. I haven't had time to try it and drive it in the higher position but I will try today if I can (have plans). I have a bunch of pics of the install, just pressed for time right now to post. Hopefully tonight.
Old 11/5/06, 09:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will have to call them directly and tell them that you saw the deal posted on this website. They will take care of you~
Old 11/6/06, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, got the shifter installed. It took some time as I did take pictures and the camera went dead half way through so I had to wait for it to charge back up. All in all, not a bad install since it is only 3 nuts and 1 bolt holding the stock unit in. The Steeda instructions are lacking but all in all not hard to figure out.

The unit looks like it goes in in one peice but I didn't drop my drive shaft and I did the install myself so I ended up taking the support arm off and installed it in 2 peices, added an extra 20 minutes but saved me alot of trips from under the car to the interior and back.

Over all, not a bad install for the average person however it does require patience so if you are limited on it you may not want to do this yourself.

Anyway, I have lots of pictures to go through and will post them on how I did it (hope I did it right LOL) if people want to see. Below is a video of the thow before and after the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJEs6Z1TOwI

Well, as you can see in the video the throw is shorter. Shifting at first is stiff but after about 30 minutes of driving around I could already feel it loosening up and now 2 days later with maybe about a total of 2 hours of driving on it it feels as smooth as the stock shifter. Also notice, 1st, 3rd, and 5th are much further back then the stock shifter. When in one of those gears, visually the stick looks like it is in nuetral. On never missing 3rd gear (this is on the add for the shifter) I would never say never for anything however you really need to try (keyword here is "try") to miss 3rd and dump it to 5th. 1st through 4th are very close and much easier to get into from one another. 5th and reverse are "further" away if you will. 5th does require a small amount of extra effort (it's not hard, just need to move the shifter a little further to get to it then stock) but correct me if I am wrong, if you are on the quarter mile, you're not using 5th.

Downside I see so far. I do have more cabin noise. Not sure what it is from yet though as it could be something on my part (mainly the way I put the rubber boot back on). Every so often I get a "vibration" when under hard throttle. It sounds like a clicking or even like what a spun bearing sounds like. I drove the car around without the *** and boot (straight view to the driveshaft and ground) and could not replicate the noise. When everything is back on, it happens here and there. The other item I don't have installed is the Shifter Isolator. It's a rubber peice that goes between the shifter handle and mount and is supposed to help minimize noise traveling up the mount. I didn't install it because it didn't come with it (it's supposed to)

I am going to make a trip over to Steeda today to pick it up and ask them some questions to make sure everything is correct but the unit is well worth the buy. I love it so far.
Old 11/6/06, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPStang06
Also notice, 1st, 3rd, and 5th are much further back then the stock shifter. When in one of those gears, visually the stick looks like it is in nuetral...you really need to try (keyword here is "try") to miss 3rd and dump it to 5th.
My observations...the **** appearing further back is because of the offset of the shifter handle. The stock is straight up and down, the steeda and 5.0 is offset back towards the driver.

And at first I was a little uptight about how stiff 5th and reverse were on my Pro5.0...but then reasoned the exact same thing you are thinking. It's a performance shifter for racing. You don't want to miss 3rd for 5th or worse, 4th for reverse. It is likely designed that way on purpose - you have to make a conscious effort to put it into 5th or reverse. It does get better with time.
Old 11/6/06, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nice write-up Gary. My Pro 5.0 didn't come with an isolator either.
Old 11/6/06, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am still trying to chase down the noise I am hearing, I just made a thread about the driveshaft having play. The play when I feel when I am under there sounds just like it. Not sure how the DS would have changed since I didn't touch it.
Old 11/7/06, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Just had a Roush short throw shifter installed in my 07 GT/CS. Previously had the FRPP CAI and tune installed. I know there has been alot of negativism toward the Roush on this board, but several people have asked for a review with no response.

It has been described as "notchy". I would say that this is inaccurate. Each shift is extremely positive, and you definitely can feel it going into gear. In no way does it leave you hanging looking for 3rd, as with the stock shifter. A 200% improvement over the stock shifter.

There does seem to be just a bit more road noise than the stock shifter. I wonder if this is because of the solid aluminum framework tranferring sound to the interior, instead of the plastic stock brace.
Old 11/7/06, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hp246
There does seem to be just a bit more road noise than the stock shifter. I wonder if this is because of the solid aluminum framework tranferring sound to the interior, instead of the plastic stock brace.
Well HP, that does sound like the norm. As I had listed above I have been chasing down a "clicking" noise (best way to describe it) since I installed mine. It's only present under throttle and gets faster as the car gets faster. I went over to Steeda today (great group of guys) and Pat came for a quick test drive to hear the sound even though they did not install the shifter. All in all he confirmed that everything sounds fine and yes there will be more cabin noise based off of the amount of metal and ureathane bushings used in the aftermarket shifters (Steeda Tri-Ax in my case).
Old 11/7/06, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a little extra noise with the Pro50 too. No buzzes, rattles, etc. but none the less a little more noise overall.

But, I'm still diggin' it totally!
Old 11/7/06, 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yea me too Tom, I love the feel now since it has lossened up. Feels just as easy to shift as the stock. I did take a look at the stock shifter again and noticed all the rubber around the back part where it mounts. It's like gum, no wonder it is quieter.
Old 11/7/06, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

My Hurst is noisey too but that's the price you pay for performance equipment sometimes. It will be interesting to compare the Pro 5.0 to the Hurst and after Saturday I ought to be able to report the differences.
Old 11/7/06, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
My Hurst is noisey too but that's the price you pay for performance equipment sometimes. It will be interesting to compare the Pro 5.0 to the Hurst and after Saturday I ought to be able to report the differences.
We're waitin' on ya Rich! Hope all goes well with the install
Old 11/7/06, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I hate the idea of introducing noise and notchiness to my car. However with the Saleen short shifter it is impossible to drive on a race track. I did this once a couple months ago. Downshifting 4th to 3rd became progressively worse as the day went on until I had to abort my last run. All I can figure is that the rubber mounts and bushings became "gummier" as they got hotter. There was another Mustang there (Buttonwillow, CA) with a Tri-ax. He was taking it apart in the pit area trying to track down a noise. It sounds like the Pro 5.0 is probably the best shifter over all though I have never tried any of the aftermarket shifters.
Old 11/8/06, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This solution goes way back...I tried searching for it to give proper credit but no luck.

There's some stuff a Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing section that is an orange 1/8" thick piece of rubber, about 4"x4". I think it's less than a $1.00. I went to Lowe's three times before I found it...you have to look for it real good.

You can buy a sheet of this and use it to make a pad or bushing between the body and back bracket of the Tri-Ax or 5.0., and then also a bushing for the stick. I did this when I installed it the first time because I knew any noise would bother me immensely. To me, my Pro5.0 is as quiet, if not quieter than stock with this setup.
Old 11/8/06, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Chris, thanks for the tip. I was even thinking of using that stuff (not sure what it's called since I'm not into heavy subs in the trunk) that people use to shield out vibration when playing heavy bass by placing it inside the center console around the shifter.
Old 11/8/06, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Buzzy, thanks for the tip. I was even thinking of using that stuff (not sure what it's called since I'm not into heavy subs in the trunk) that people use to shield out vibration when playing heavy bass by placing it inside the center console around the shifter.
Dynamat

Quick Reply: Which Short throw shifter?