GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which Short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/06, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Deal on Pro 5.0 Shifter from LFP

Just purchased the Pro 5.0 from Jesse at Lightning Force Performance for $249 w/free shipping! What a great deal! Thanks Tom for sharing your experience with this shifter, and for posting pictures of your install. The many positive comments made the decision to purchase a no-brainer. Now, I just have to decide whether or not to buy a new shifter handle.
Old 11/2/06, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Just purchased the Pro 5.0 from Jesse at Lightning Force Performance for $249 w/free shipping! What a great deal! Thanks Tom for sharing your experience with this shifter, and for posting pictures of your install. The many positive comments made the decision to purchase a no-brainer. Now, I just have to decide whether or not to buy a new shifter handle.
Congrats on your purchase, good luck with the install!

Tom
Old 11/2/06, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8925

Anyone use that?
I saw another FRPP Hurst shifter.

I wonder if any of these will solve the 3rd gear "miss"?
Old 11/2/06, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question for Tom-

The directions are a little confusing and I need some clarification. It shows the shifter handle on the drivers side but your picture show it on the passenger’s side? Also there is a piece that is used on the Hurst shifter that came off of the stock front arm that mounts to the transmission. It’s a silver metal bushing with a shoulder on one end. It slides into the rubber bushing. Do you reuse this with the Pro 5.0 also?
Old 11/2/06, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Rich,

If it helps any I am looking at the Steeda instructions as I type this. If these shifters are indeed virtually the same, Steeda's instructions state the following

"For clearance purposes it is recommended that the handle be installed on the passenger side of the shift lever"

As far as the metal bushing that came off of the stock shifter, the Steeda instructions do state to "Pry the metal inserts from the bushing in the transmission arm of the shifter and insert into the billet arm of the Steeda shifter."

I'm glad this thread is going on like it is. Tom and others have said the Pro 5 instructions are great but I think the Steeda ones are lacking a bit. I personally prefer more pictures and the ones they do have are not even from a real installation.
Old 11/2/06, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Gary for the input. I also know that some of the earlier GT's had the metal bushing on both sides of the of the transmission arm, mine did not! Since I have only one I wonder which side the metal bushing should go on, the side against the trans or away?

Here is a picture of the bushing (sleeve) that I am talking about-
Attached Images  
Old 11/3/06, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hmmm I am at work at the moment without the instructions in front of me but I would assume the same side it was on. I am going to attempt my instaqll tomorrow, I'll post the way mine is.
Old 11/3/06, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Rich-

You can put the shifter handle on either way you like- the driver's side or passenger's. I just prefer it on the passenger's so when I'm in 1st or 2nd, the handle isn't so close to the side of the console.

You need to reuse the silver bushing that you mention. I overlooked it in the instructions and didn't put it in at first. If you don't, you can tighten that bolt all the way through the rubber piece on the 5.0. You must put the bushing into the rubber, and I put the shoulder to the outside (away from the tranny) so that the bolt has more area to rest against.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11/3/06, 05:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sure that is the way that I have it installed on the Hurst I just wanted to make sure. My neighbor is on a hunting trip so we will be putting it in next weekend.
Old 11/3/06, 05:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I'm sure that is the way that I have it installed on the Hurst I just wanted to make sure. My neighbor is on a hunting trip so we will be putting it in next weekend.
Look me up if you need anything.
Old 11/3/06, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool deal Rich. I am going to take the plunge tomorrow and go for it. Gonna take pictures and do a write up if all goes well LOL.
Old 11/3/06, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

It should actually go smoother than the Hurst install only because you can drop the Pro 5.0 or Steeda through the console in 2 pieces. Good luck Gary but I don't think you'll need it.
Old 11/3/06, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Rich. I already took a throw "Before" picture between 1st and 2nd. LOL

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...gAnch=imgAnch1
Old 11/3/06, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Neat picture and I'm looking forward to your "how to" instructions .
Old 11/3/06, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Neat picture and I'm looking forward to your "how to" instructions .
Me to0 especially since they will be from a "noob" wannabee mechanic. hell the most wrench turning I ever did was when I used to Kart race.
Old 11/3/06, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

C'mon guys, this will be cake for both of you. Great wheels by the way Gary!
Old 11/4/06, 01:48 AM
Bullitt Member

It should actually go smoother than the Hurst install only because you can drop the Pro 5.0 or Steeda through the console in 2 pieces. Good luck Gary but I don't think you'll need it.
I didn't realize the 5.0 was broken down into pieces and the Hurst was not. That explains why it can be installed from above. Good deal.
Old 11/4/06, 08:00 AM
GT Member

GRAYPNY - SoFLGT05 - Other Pro 5.0 Owners

To all you guys who have the Pro 5.0 that kept the stock **** / stock interior look - I am interested in knowing how the final installation came out.

Does it end up looking like the stock shifter?

Is the height the same / near the same? How about the angle front-to-back?

Recognizing now that the shifter arm can be attached on either side of the Pro 5.0 shifter - how does it feel laterally? Is the shifter about the same or does it feel closer to you in the 1st / 2nd gates? 3rd / 4th gates?

Thanks. I am pretty much sold on the Pro 5.0 - but I want to fully understand it before I go again with it.

PS Anybody in the burbs of Chicago with it?
Old 11/4/06, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mail906
...PS Anybody in the burbs of Chicago with it?

Not Yet, lol. Springtime mod I think
Old 11/4/06, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Walt-

I intend to go with the stock shifter **** and if you mount the arm in the lowest position I believe it will look stock. I also am going to mount the arm on the passenger side so it isn't so close to the drivers seat. My Hurst shifter arm is on the passenger side too and it seems to work out OK there.

Quick Reply: Which Short throw shifter?