GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rotorpros Cross-Drilled/Gas Slotted rotors install (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/07, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Nope, I keep it in a bubble capsule and only take it out to install mods!

j/k... I don't take it out as much as I should, but when I do, watch out!

To answer your question, yes I did feel the brakes grab a bit harder. Maybe it's just in my head, but the brakes felt better, not Brembo kind of better, but better than stock.
I love watching that video, over and over. We are not worthy
Old 6/7/07, 06:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bill, are these the standard Zinc Coated Rotors, or did you get a custom color for the hub? I'm going to send Rich an email too. I'm finally getting a set, since my wheels should be here within a day or so.
Old 6/7/07, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

that's funny, I sent Rich an email today as well about the pricing of the rotors. I remember they had posted a special price through the end of May. Wonder if they could extend it a few more weeks?? Hey Jeff.. how's the car treating you lately??
Old 6/7/07, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

GREAT write by TacoBill as usual!!!

Ok so this may sound stupid. I can see how the slots and holes might help direct heat away from the pads but do they really stop any better or last longer than the stock setup?
Has anyone done any 60 - 0 braking tests of setups like this and compared to stock?
I mean they sure look cool but how much better do they really work?
Just curious. I am by no means an expert on brakes so I'd really like to see some info on some direct comparisons.
Old 6/7/07, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's a good uestion.. i was under the assumption that changing the pads and brake lines would probably do more to inprove your stopping power then just rotors. But who's I'm probably wrong. They sure do look sweet!!
Old 6/7/07, 07:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Bill, are these the standard Zinc Coated Rotors, or did you get a custom color for the hub?
Yes, they're zinc coated. That's the way Rotorpros sells them as far as I know.

As far as the hub, I'm pretty sure they all ship with the hub painted black. I paid something like $20 more to have them painted silver.

Originally Posted by 281GT
I can see how the slots and holes might help direct heat away from the pads but do they really stop any better or last longer than the stock setup?
I mainly got these for the look.

I can see some benefit to the drilled and slotted rotors when on a track, but for actual street driving, they're probably only slightly better (than stock).

When it comes to better brake performance, there's no substitute for bigger brakes, period.
Old 6/7/07, 09:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up as usual Bill.

Be advised guys that you may get a faster reply by Calling Richard Direct. He has his Cell Phone number listed on the site if i recall. Very nice guy to deal with.

Also be advised that the Rotors that Bill has are his base rotor I belive and there is actually another Rotor (referred to as Premium) to these which is what i have sitting in the garage waiting to go on. Instead of the ZINC coating which does wear off they have a dark almost gray loo to the slotted and drilled area, but the hub area is Powder Coated Black instead of the Silver look. They were only like 20.00 more than the standard rotor. Either way you cannot go wrong with them. I just wish i could figure out what pads i want to use.

Richard
Old 6/8/07, 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Richard, still no clue which pad you want to use?? Which pad was it you had wanted to use?? The Red stuff or Green? I get a catalog from Moss Mustangs and they have all three in there catalog for our cars (Green,Red and Yellow) not sure if you were aware. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck.
Old 6/8/07, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by superman112
Richard, still no clue which pad you want to use?? Which pad was it you had wanted to use?? The Red stuff or Green? I get a catalog from Moss Mustangs and they have all three in there catalog for our cars (Green,Red and Yellow) not sure if you were aware. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck.
Yep still freakin clueless about which pad. I had originally intended to use the EBC Redstuff but Richard @ RP told me not to use Ceramic pads as they are to hard on the rotors. Honestly with the low cost of the rotors I am not sure i even care as long as they make no noise and have somewhat low dusting. I can deal with them wearing out the rotors. We do not drive the car enough to probably even worry about the rotors wearing out. I mean after all we have had the car now for over a year and do not even have 8k miles on her yet. So i may just say screw it and go with the Redstuff. Although there is another pad someone recommended called the Aekobono I think it is and I may try them.

Richard
Old 6/8/07, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

dude... only 8K miles!! shoot.. I just hit 30,000 this morning. Although I have had it since October of 2004. Yeah let us know what you end up doing as far as the pads. I wonder how well the pads you can get with the Rotorpros are?? Anyone out there try them???
Old 6/8/07, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey,
Anyone of you other guys that emailed Rotorpro for pricing yesterday get an answer. It's been 24 hrs and I have nothing yet.
Scott
Old 6/8/07, 03:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by superman112
that's funny, I sent Rich an email today as well about the pricing of the rotors. I remember they had posted a special price through the end of May. Wonder if they could extend it a few more weeks?? Hey Jeff.. how's the car treating you lately??
I too sent an email to Rich. His prices CAN"T BE BEAT!!! I'm ordering a set Monday!! Just don't know what to get. Drilled/Slotted, Dimpled/Slotted, or just Slotted? Decisions, decisions. My fear is these cracking over time, if I get drilled. Anyone shed some postiive light, to sway my choice. Thanks.

Oh, Raphael, car is AWESOME. CEL went out, and hasn't come back. Plus I got a new suprise that I have to post for my car that I just put on (not to hijack the thread)!!!
Old 6/8/07, 03:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Nice write up as usual Bill.

Be advised guys that you may get a faster reply by Calling Richard Direct. He has his Cell Phone number listed on the site if i recall. Very nice guy to deal with.

Also be advised that the Rotors that Bill has are his base rotor I belive and there is actually another Rotor (referred to as Premium) to these which is what i have sitting in the garage waiting to go on. Instead of the ZINC coating which does wear off they have a dark almost gray loo to the slotted and drilled area, but the hub area is Powder Coated Black instead of the Silver look. They were only like 20.00 more than the standard rotor. Either way you cannot go wrong with them. I just wish i could figure out what pads i want to use.

Richard
Hey Richard, any chance you can take some pics of the rotors that you have? I'd like to see the difference between the two. Having trouble figuring out which ones to get. If they dip the standard rotor in zinc coating, it should coat the slots and holes real well, so they never rust, since they won't be touched by the pads. Am I correct on this? Don't mind rust on the rotor itself (brake pads take that off) but the rust in the slots and holes where the pads won't ever touch would drive me crazy). Thanks for the help, if you can put some pics up.
Old 6/8/07, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Richard, any chance you can take some pics of the rotors that you have? I'd like to see the difference between the two. Having trouble figuring out which ones to get. If they dip the standard rotor in zinc coating, it should coat the slots and holes real well, so they never rust, since they won't be touched by the pads. Am I correct on this? Don't mind rust on the rotor itself (brake pads take that off) but the rust in the slots and holes where the pads won't ever touch would drive me crazy). Thanks for the help, if you can put some pics up.
Yep I can do that. Give me a day or so and I will post it for you.

I think I have made a decesion on pads. I think after reading almost every review on TireRacks website i am going to go with the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads front & rear.

Richard
Old 6/8/07, 03:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got my price from them today. I think I will order a set after I see the pictures from Richard. I want to paint my calipers the same time but can't remember the name of the kit to do that. Any help????
Old 6/8/07, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think I have made a decesion on pads. I think after reading almost every review on TireRacks website i am going to go with the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads front & rear.

Richard
Thanks very much for the help Richard. Sounds like Rich at Rotorpros will be getting a few orders next week. You should ask for a referral fee with the pics your posting of the premium ones.
Old 6/8/07, 04:05 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Richard
Just a FYI, RockAuto has the Akebono ProACT pads cheaper than TireRack.
Old 6/8/07, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I too sent an email to Rich. His prices CAN"T BE BEAT!!! I'm ordering a set Monday!! Just don't know what to get. Drilled/Slotted, Dimpled/Slotted, or just Slotted? Decisions, decisions. My fear is these cracking over time, if I get drilled. Anyone shed some postiive light, to sway my choice. Thanks.

Oh, Raphael, car is AWESOME. CEL went out, and hasn't come back. Plus I got a new suprise that I have to post for my car that I just put on (not to hijack the thread)!!!
Hey Jeff,
Did you send your email to Rich thru the website "request a price" or did you use a different email address for Rich @ Rotorpro? I used the website yesterday but have not gotten any pricing back. I'm bummed.
Scott
Old 6/8/07, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mco05gt
I got my price from them today. I think I will order a set after I see the pictures from Richard. I want to paint my calipers the same time but can't remember the name of the kit to do that. Any help????
G2 caliper paint kit. You can buy it here...
Scott

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/
Old 6/8/07, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks very much for the help Richard. Sounds like Rich at Rotorpros will be getting a few orders next week. You should ask for a referral fee with the pics your posting of the premium ones.
Me too! Let's not forget who got this ball rolling!

Quick Reply: Rotorpros Cross-Drilled/Gas Slotted rotors install (w/pics)