GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Procharger vs Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/05, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Wookdawg@May 4, 2005, 11:54 PM
I'm getting the same deal with Procharger. Ordered mine Feb 14th with Mar 1 ship date. Then they kept pushing it back week by week. They're supposed to be shipping it now, I just have to wait my turn. I've never heard anything but good things about them and their customer service thus far has been average. I'm going to stick it out with them and eagerly await the UPS delivery guy.
Yea I'm in the same boat... waiting.
Old 5/5/05, 10:53 PM

Well, my procharger finally shipped. Bad news is I have to bring the car in for the trans synchro TSB-parts are on order, before I can install it. And I'll be on a trip for the next two weeks. Doh!
Old 5/6/05, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

ive got a procharger sitting in my garage, only thing missing is the back ordered predator and injectors
Old 5/6/05, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I spoke with saleen for a bit today, and that seems like the winner. They said you don't even have to change fuel injectors.
Old 5/20/05, 07:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by cdemot02@May 6, 2005, 5:46 PM
I spoke with saleen for a bit today, and that seems like the winner. They said you don't even have to change fuel injectors.

The procharger is a 4-7 hr install depending on experience. Everything that you do can be undone in a couple hours. It has an 8 rib belt with a separate drive system. We have made over 500hp with the stock motor with a fuel pump and a little more boost and it's shipping. The Vortech you have to punch a hole in the oil pan, chisel the upper cooling passage out of the intake, relocate the battery and you are stuck with the stock 6 rib belt. Plan on a two day install. The Procharger with the standard kit with no other mods has already been 11.6@120 at 3800lbs with the only failure being the stock clutch. Vortech made claims of 466hp but have not been able to back it up with times. I believe the fastest they have been is 115mph. So hands down, I feel the Procharger is a much better option.

Mike Freedman
Old 5/20/05, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Everyone that I have ever known that has owned a Procharger has had problems with it. Mostly oil leaks. One person I know put one on his WS6 ( back when it was new ) and had it replaced 3 times within 1000 miles because it kept breaking. I do not have personal experience with them, I am just telling what I know of them from others.

Personally, if I were going to take the SC route, I would go twin screw. Either Saleen or Whipple. I like the power being RIGHT THERE when you want it, and I am a torque junkie. The twin screws have tons of torque. My opinion, the centrifigal SCs are just dyno queens.

But then again, if I were going with forced induction on mine, I would go twin turbo.
Old 5/20/05, 10:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Michael Freedman@May 20, 2005, 7:10 AM
. . . The Procharger with the standard kit with no other mods has already been 11.6@120 at 3800lbs . . . .

Mike Freedman
Mike -

I'm curious. From another thread you mentioned that your group was turning up the boost on your supercharger and waiting for the engine to come apart. What is the status on this? When it finally pops, could you please give us a small explanation of the root cause of the failure? I am really interested in this. I'm sure that the root cause of the failure will probably be the same wheather using a Procharger or a Vortech. Thanks.
Old 5/20/05, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I am very happy with my procharger, customer service top notch, and you dont have to do any "hacking" on the car like you do the Vortech unit.

it runs VERY good as well, i am VERY VERY happy with it, and thier customer service!!!
Old 5/21/05, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Michael Freedman@May 20, 2005, 8:10 AM
The procharger is a 4-7 hr install depending on experience. Everything that you do can be undone in a couple hours. It has an 8 rib belt with a separate drive system. We have made over 500hp with the stock motor with a fuel pump and a little more boost and it's shipping. The Vortech you have to punch a hole in the oil pan, chisel the upper cooling passage out of the intake, relocate the battery and you are stuck with the stock 6 rib belt. Plan on a two day install. The Procharger with the standard kit with no other mods has already been 11.6@120 at 3800lbs with the only failure being the stock clutch. Vortech made claims of 466hp but have not been able to back it up with times. I believe the fastest they have been is 115mph. So hands down, I feel the Procharger is a much better option.

Mike Freedman
I assume you are talking about the Vortech HO kit as I don't see any reason to move the battery with the standard kit? Either way it goes power isn't always what's important. If it was we'd have all bought LS1's, but we didn't. We went for the better car. The same holds true for these superchargers. I have owned numerous Vortech systems with no problems and one Procharger system that died in two months (actually only three weeks of driving).

You point out that the Vortech kit has to have the pan tapped, this is a good thing. It uses the regular motor oil in the car and is changed every time you change your oil. The other positive to this is they don't leak unless the have a kinked return hose. The Procharger I owned never stopped leaking, unless you never got on it. If you drove the car normally it wouldn't leak, but as soon as you hit the loud pedal there she went. The front seal was replaced in the first week which stopped the leak there, but then the case started leaking. It's like the gear casing builds pressure inside of it. Good thought bad design.

You speak of fast to ship also, that means nothing to me if the kit has problems and you have to wait anyway. The last I remember "OGGT" had a Vortech on order, cancelled it for a Procharger and it started leaking so he has no blower right now?? Also I know some of the Vortech have shipped, at least the standard versions.

Horsepower wise I was impressed with my Procharger, however I feel this is a mute point as they all can be pullied and intercooled to make "x "power. I will say the Procharger at least did not let me down in this area and for that i will give them a thumbs up. The only downside to this is saying we make over 500 hp, but yet we don't know how much power the shortblock can take. This may or may not come back to be a problem.

All I have to say on the 6 rib is Procharger does it too. Luckily with low boost the 6 rib should not be a problem. Don't point fingers when you left all the 03-04 Cobra owners hanging

So to sum it up. Who cares if it takes two days to install or makes slightly less power if you can drive it everyday without problems !! (by the way power has not been proven I'm just making a point) I just feel people shouldn't get caught up in the horsepower numbers and instead they should do research and look for a kit that will last. Are their satisfied Procharger owners ,yes. I will always find it real hard to swallow that I had to eat $3000 dollars worth of parts because Procharger and it's distributor couldn't get on the same page !!! Yep I said $3000 !! It's sitting in my garage as a constant reminder of poor products and poor customer service. Do your research BEFORE you buy !!!!!

Thanks Mike
Old 5/21/05, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

I have to go with Vortech on this one too.Their history of quality products on the stangs is what makes me lean their way
Old 5/23/05, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

No battery relocation on the Vortech systems with or without cooler...

This pic shows the battery in the stock location...
Old 5/23/05, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

the battery stays put, both coolant resovoirs are located in the front bumper, making it near impossible to ice it
Old 5/23/05, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

What are you wanting to ice? The only thing you need to even think of putting ice in is the aftercooler resivoir, is that what you mean?

Thanks Mike
Old 5/23/05, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

thats what im talking about

you also have to mount a heat exchanger etc

there is A LOT to the install that you dont see, i have installed a procharger, and have the vortech manual, now if you go with the standard vortech kit you dont have to do the aftercooler stuff, which looks to be 4 hours minimum to do the extra things for the aftercooler setup