Oil Separator BKU Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/09, 04:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To separate:

Or not to separate:

That is the question!

As you can see from the bottom pic (at only 15k miles) I saved from a post, there used to be a number of threads on this subject before the TMS crash. And one of the posts about the Moroso and others prompted me to search ebay where I stumbled on BKU. I'm sure many brands are fine, but with my 15 year hands on mechanical experience with the Lotus 907 4 valve (and numerous other engines over 40 yrs), Brett's in-depth explanation - and modest price - compelled me to learn more.

Now since the separated fluid is a mixture of caustic partially spent combustion gases from blow-by, and atomized oil vapors, is a water separator really safe for such caustic dino based fluid?

Originally Posted by fdjizm
i flow tested mine, flows just like the stock piece
The stock piece is not the proper baseline. Ford's goal was to extend oil changes and keep the oil looking pretty (and didn't give a crap how much oil was baked on the intake and combustion chambers as the pic of the charge motion butterflies show), and therefore allowed overdraft - hell there's not even a Valve in the stock 4.6 PCV is there, hmmm? There is in the 5.4...

"Hence the reason we designed our custom separators over 12 years ago with internal regulation to counteract against the over drafting on the crankcase, reducing the oil that actually makes it into the PCV system, and then catching the oil that does in the separator itself."

And at what rpm's where your lung supplied flow tests done at? And did you use all 8 lungs? Are they within cfm specs for that particular rpm range or at random? And what was the corresponding vacuum (multi-piston suction) InHg measurement? And at what rpm's? Under load or neutral or with throttle closed and the subsequent immediate change in intake vacuum where the only source is to draw from the crankcase?

First, pressure and flow are two totally different things, and both are very important to the PCV system. As an example I hear a lot of people referring to a specific # InHg of vacuum relative to diagnosing the PCV system. Vacuum is important, and should maintain a close proximity to your intake manifold vacuum, but flow is a volumetric measurement, normally measured in CFM for PCV systems. So lets say you see 22 InHg of vacuum on the high side for your PCV system, that would be within range, but if you saw 22 InHg @ 150 CFM, that would be an extreme amount of over drafting on the crankcase. Likewise, if you saw 22 InHg @ 2 CFM that would not be sufficient flow to evacuate crankcase gases. Normally in most cases an over drafting of the crankcase is present. This is why just about all engines suffer from oil in the induction system.

Naw... it ain't technical... any old hose will do...

OK, I've stalled long enough... time to suit up and feed horses!

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/11/09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 04:13 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I've got breathers.
Oh right... I forgot you were a lunger! LOL
Old 12/11/09, 04:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by the looks of that bku oil separator, you can make one with parts from home depot and autozone for a lot less money, http://3.8mustang.com/forum/showpost...2&postcount=13 take a look at that link.
Old 12/11/09, 06:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will have you know sir my lungs happen to flow over 1022cfm