GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil Separator BKU Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/09, 12:42 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil Separator BKU Motorsports

I am very satisfied with BKU's product, pricing, and service. So I'm passing this Sale and Contact info along to TMS:

Charlie,
It’s good to hear from you again, sorry for the delayed response but I just logged into our eBay account tonight and received your message. It’s been a month or so since I’ve logged on to eBay, we’ve been working hard trying to get everything setup the way I like it at the new location here in Tennessee, I hadn’t remembered to change over the email address on the eBay account until I read your message, so thanks for giving me something else to do! We’ve been so busy with engine orders and getting the new location setup we haven’t been listing on eBay since the move. Seriously, thanks for taking the time to get our contact info out there for other members on the Mustang forums.
Actually if you want to pass this info along as well; we’re doing a special purchase offer for all club sites and club forum members who have helped support BKU Motorsports over the years, we are giving 10% OFF and FREE shipping on all; BKU - Oil Separator Kits and BKU - Transmission Valve Bodies, this offer is good until Saturday, December 19, 2009. Just tell everyone to order by 12/19/09 and mention the website or forum they’re calling from and we’ll be happy to give them the special pricing. The best way for everyone to contact us is still the shop number, but they can email us as well if it’s better for them, it’s just easier for us to get all the info we need for the order during the first contact, especially on custom orders!!!
Have a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year!
BKU Motorsports Contact Info:
Main Line=865-366-7532
Email=bku-motorsports@comcast.net
Thanks Again,
Brett Utsinger
President & CEO
BKUMotorsports
Where Performance is a Lifestyle!!!

Smoky Mountains, TN
(865)366-7532
Old 12/7/09, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed.....Works like a champ.......

Old 12/10/09, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Oatz

Wow......very sweet engine compartment!!!!!!!!!! Do you spit on the rag when you shine that puppy??
Old 12/10/09, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Wow......very sweet engine compartment!!!!!!!!!! Do you spit on the rag when you shine that puppy??
Thank you.....
Old 12/11/09, 02:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Oatz

i thought he made his custom or something? unless he machines the thing himself that looks just like this... with a plug for the spout.

I was under the impression from recent talks that he DOES NOT use a husky seperator. is that pic correct?

Last edited by fdjizm; 12/11/09 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12/11/09, 11:56 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by fdjizm
i thought he made his custom or something? unless he machines the thing himself that looks just like this... with a plug for the spout.

I was under the impression from recent talks that he DOES NOT use a husky seperator. is that pic correct?
When I first searched this issue, I looked at Husky and another (forget brand) and the first thing that concerned me was the temp rating was 125 degs. Your engine bay gets hotter than that. So regardless if the bowl m i g h t be able to take higher temps, what about the internals?

So I searched ebay looking for options and read all the listings - including one for the 4.6 Harley-Davidson Lightning truck which happened to be BKU's listing (which is what is wife races). He had a thorough explanation and so I emailed him asking if it would work for my new Bullitt. He hadn't done any Bullitt's yet so we decided on mounting on the factory FRPP CAI instead of way back on the firewall. We talked on the phone at length (incl cfm issues and proper crankcase venting) and from his knowledge and service and modest price, away we went...

Look closely at your Husky pic. The brass inlet and outlets are smaller than Mike's right? Look at the hokey plastic drain (that doesn't need to be as 'airtight' on a compressor) on the Husky and compare to the brass screw with o-ring (optional if you want a drain) on Mike's - you'll notice the blue sealant... And finally, look at the brass mesh screen on Mike's.

BKU's is not the same (which is why I corrected Jed on the other thread) - BKU's are made for oil, tested & modified by a guy that's been building engines - and specifically the 4.6 3V - for lots of years and has a reputation to back it, and he buys the separator itself from a supplier to an industry I'm familiar with that needs to separate oil from the product being manufactured.

Good luck!

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/11/09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
When I first searched this issue, I looked at Husky and another (forget brand) and the first thing that concerned me was the temp rating was 125 degs. Your engine bay gets hotter than that. So regardless if the bowl m i g h t be able to take higher temps, what about the internals?

So I searched ebay looking for options and read all the listings - including one for the 4.6 Harley-Davidson Lightning truck which happened to be BKU's listing (which is what is wife races). He had a thorough explanation and so I emailed him asking if it would work for my new Bullitt. He hadn't done any Bullitt's yet so we decided on mounting on the factory FRPP CAI instead of way back on the firewall. We talked on the phone at length (incl cfm issues and proper crankcase venting) and from his knowledge and service and modest price, away we went...

Look closely at your Husky pic. The brass inlet and outlets are smaller than Mike's right? Look at the hokey plastic drain (that doesn't need to be as 'airtight' on a compressor) on the Husky and compare to the brass screw with o-ring (optional if you want a drain) on Mike's - you'll notice the blue sealant... And finally, look at the brass mesh screen on Mike's.

BKU's is not the same (which is why I corrected Jed on the other thread) - BKU's are made for oil, tested & modified by a guy that's been building engines - and specifically the 4.6 3V - for lots of years and has a reputation to back it, and he buys the separator itself from a supplier to an industry I'm familiar with that needs to separate oil from the product being manufactured.

Good luck!
Hmm ok so it's not a husky seperator, even though they look identical and he makes the bowl himself, even though it has the same ridges on it as the husky seperator?

FYI the fittings in the picture of the "BKU" seperator are 1/4. i am not knocking the guy but hard to believe that is not a husky oil seperator i am staring at.

Last edited by fdjizm; 12/11/09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 12:47 PM
Post *****

OK so he DOES machine his own seperator block as well as custom make the bowl? and that in the picture is NOT a husky seperator?
No that's not what I wrote. Sorry if I wasn't clear. He buys the separator and modifies it for 4.6L 3V specs. The pic on the firewall of Mike's (Got Oatz) car is the BKU unit.

Here's another pic of mine:

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/11/09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 12:51 PM
Cobra R Member

No that's not what I wrote. Sorry if I wasn't clear. He buys the separator and modifies it for 4.6L 3V specs. The pic on the firewall of Mike's (Got Oatz) car is the BKU unit.
Ok sorry i edited a couple times... im just saying it looks pretty much exactly like the husky units only modification i can think of it making the filter breathe better. i am trying hard to be nuetral but i am staring at a clone of the husky filter LOL
Old 12/11/09, 01:02 PM
Post *****

Ok sorry i edited a couple times... im just saying it looks pretty much exactly like the husky units only modification i can think of it making the filter breathe better. i am trying hard to be nuetral but i am staring at a clone of the husky filter LOL
I know, but looks don't necessarily mean they are of the same material or quality. I mean the basic design of all separators are going to be similar - regardless of flashy aluminum cans or oil grade plastic bowls or water separator plastic bowls.

Also, the larger inlet and outlet are specifically marked as to position in the separator head when you receive them from Brett which is why he asks how you are going to mount the unit. (I painted my fittings flat black so you can't see the markings in the pic.) So I assume how far they are 'screwed in' has a bearing on flow rate (that a few TMS 'expert forum techs' scoff at) - in addition to the size fittings he uses.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/11/09 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 01:12 PM
Cobra R Member

I know, but looks don't necessarily mean they are of the same material or quality. I mean the basic design of all separators are going to be similar - regardless of flashy aluminum cans or oil grade plastic bowls or water separator plastic bowls.

Also, the larger inlet and outlet are specifically marked as to position in the separator head when you receive them from Brett which is why he asks how you are going to mount the unit. (I painted my fittings flat black so you can't see the markings in the pic.) So I assume how far they are 'screwed in' has a bearing on flow rate (that a few TMS 'expert forum techs' scoff at) - in addition to the size fittings he uses.

Hmm i see.. do you mind if you took a close up picture of the BKU unit for inquiring minds?
Old 12/11/09, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to this site the separator is made by a company called "Zeks".
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/..._separator.htm
Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Why is it that nothing comes up when I google BKU motorports? No address, no website, nothing. But when I google the phone number in the email he provided you, it gives me the address of a residence and not a business? This all sounds pretty fishy to me.

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 12/11/09 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 02:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT

Why is it that nothing comes up when I google BKU motorports? No address, no website, nothing. But when I google the phone number in the email he provided you, it gives me the address of a residence and not a business? This all sounds pretty fishy to me.
it looks more like the husky than that one see the shape of it... ah well what do i know i only have two functioning eyes LOL
Old 12/11/09, 02:10 PM
Post *****

Hmm i see.. do you mind if you took a close up picture of the BKU unit for inquiring minds?
Maybe Mike can - but mine is in storage for the winter under cover. Actually the previous shot is the best angle I could get since mine is mounted on the back of the CAI right next to the strut tower in that narrow slot.

This is the only other pic I have on file. The yellow marks were showing Brett the approx bottom of the screen and the level of oil collected after my first few weeks. The two screw holes in the head are for the mounting bracket which can be reversed depending on your setup.

I believe now Brett has reversed flow & repositioned the tube/elbows from this pic for Bullitt's (or GT's with FRPP CAI's) for easier access to the drain. Mine was the first Bullitt and I emailed him a 'napkin drawing' so that's how he made it for me. I can access the drain with a small can the way mine is setup but its tight. Or you can get them like Mike's firewall setup which is Brett's usual setup for the Lightnings.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/11/09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 02:23 PM
Post *****

I don't know what prompted the move from his FL shop to TN - maybe family or something. As I remember, he said his family had Ford Dealerships for years - maybe they're in TN. Plus motorsports racing is having its difficulty with the economy just like everybody else and maybe that's a factor, I don't know. Look at how many cut back races - or dropped out of top fuel this year. Maybe he's being smart and consolidating expenses - I sure am. But Colby just talked to him yesterday and he just emailed me a few days back. Plus you've got a number of TMS guys that write positive stuff about Brett.

Separators is just a side thing to his racing shop so what are you expecting, neon signs? On ebay its BKU_Motorsports with the underscore and as he said in his note to me (posted on the other thread) they haven't been listing as he's busy getting his shop setup. If there's this much debate over a dang $50 or whatever (WITH the trans line incl now - I had to pay $20 for lousy 3 feet locally) separator designed just for our engine, I would understand why he wouldn't invest too much time. Think about it.

As for google not everything is accurate. You should see how their maps say to get to my place LOL. They'll have you driving about 20 extra miles - on dirt forest service roads - instead of the friggin' highway! LOLOL And what bothers you if he has his business at his home? I've run my business out of my home for 22 years - with only my home phone. Geez!

EDIT: and he himself stated Zeks when I reposted the long thread that TMS lost. But you're not getting a stock Zeks unit from BKU.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/11/09 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12/11/09, 02:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What bothers me is that your trying to pass the this guy and his product off as superior to anyone and anything else on the market. I'm glad the product works for you and several other members but it's just I don't really believe it's any better than the guys that have a home depot setup. All these flow testing claims just sound ludicrous. If you'd just started a thread saying "Hey check out my oil separator that I got it from such and such vendor and it works great". I don't think anyone including myself would be giving you so much grief. But the fact that you went in to a completely different thread and claimed yours was superior with no real proof is what got myself and everyone else's panties in a bunch. Either way this is making my day at work go by alot faster.
Old 12/11/09, 02:49 PM
Post *****

What bothers me is that your trying to pass the this guy and his product off as superior to anyone and anything else on the market. I'm glad the product works for you and several other members but it's just I don't really believe it's any better than the guys that have a home depot setup. All these flow testing claims just sound ludicrous. If you'd just started a thread saying "Hey check out my oil separator that I got it from such and such vendor and it works great". I don't think anyone including myself would be giving you so much grief. But the fact that you went in to a completely different thread and claimed yours was superior with no real proof is what got myself and everyone else's panties in a bunch. Either way this is making my day at work go by alot faster.
Right on!

Hell this is better for me than going out to feed the herd in 10 degs (warmest in 5 days).

As for my posts, on one side I thought I was helping recreate some of the info and technical discussion that TMS failed to save - instead of all the fluffy threads that are going now.

On another side, I was answering someone elses questions who keeps this going. I did my research last spring, made my decision, and believe its the best for the money. I have no skin in the game with Brett. But forums usually have discussions about what people like about their stuff, don't they?

And with 8 pistons stroking up and down at thousands of rpm's creating large amounts of crankcase pressure, I find it amazing a couple of guys think there aren't any engineered specs to exhaust that pressure. duoy

In the end, its your money. It sounds like your $20 air compressor unit is just right for you and your $30,000 Mustang. So enjoy!
Old 12/11/09, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Old 12/11/09, 03:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Right on!

Hell this is better for me than going out to feed the herd in 10 degs (warmest in 5 days).

As for my posts, on one side I thought I was helping recreate some of the info and technical discussion that TMS failed to save - instead of all the fluffy threads that are going now.

On another side, I was answering someone elses questions who keeps this going. I did my research last spring, made my decision, and believe its the best for the money. I have no skin in the game with Brett. But forums usually have discussions about what people like about their stuff, don't they?

And with 8 pistons stroking up and down at thousands of rpm's creating large amounts of crankcase pressure, I find it amazing a couple of guys think there aren't any engineered specs to exhaust that pressure. duoy

In the end, its your money. It sounds like your $20 air compressor unit is just right for you and your $30,000 Mustang. So enjoy!

i flow tested mine, flows just like the stock piece
Old 12/11/09, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Right on!

I've got breathers.

Quick Reply: Oil Separator BKU Motorsports