GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need some help on the pro 5.0 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/07, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help on the pro 5.0 shifter

Hey I just got my new shifter installed and first of all, I LOVE IT. Smoother than the stock one and way shorter throws. Worth every penny. Only thing that's worrying me is that the shifter seems to be too far to the left in the console. It shifts great into every gear and I do have the bushings on the right sides. Can someone take a picture of their pro 5.0 shifter from the top to see if it's the same as mine?
Old 3/1/07, 10:03 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Hey I just got my new shifter installed and first of all, I LOVE IT. Smoother than the stock one and way shorter throws. Worth every penny. Only thing that's worrying me is that the shifter seems to be too far to the left in the console. It shifts great into every gear and I do have the bushings on the right sides. Can someone take a picture of their pro 5.0 shifter from the top to see if it's the same as mine?

Mine's off to the left too.
Old 3/1/07, 03:05 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Is the shifter handle on the right side of the shifter stick???
Old 3/1/07, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dly
Is the shifter handle on the right side of the shifter stick???
That was it. I figured it out when the forum was down. The pictures in the instructions show it on the wrong side for some reason. Thanks for your help though!
Old 3/1/07, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Don't mean to hijack the thread but are you experiencing any vibrations with the Pro 5.0? I have a Roush that I need to replace.

Jon
Old 3/1/07, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

None, It's rock solid. I even managed to do the install without dropping the driveshaft.
Old 3/3/07, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't want to hijack the thread either, but I'm actually in the market for a new shifter (for the spring) and was wondering if you see any downfalls or problems with the pro 5.0. It sounds like pro 5.0 is the favorite around the forum, but I want to make sure I'm doing as much research as I can before taking the dive. I know MGW is coming out with a shifter soon, and I'm debating between the pro 5.0 and that one.
Old 3/3/07, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eromzek
I don't want to hijack the thread either, but I'm actually in the market for a new shifter (for the spring) and was wondering if you see any downfalls or problems with the pro 5.0. It sounds like pro 5.0 is the favorite around the forum, but I want to make sure I'm doing as much research as I can before taking the dive. I know MGW is coming out with a shifter soon, and I'm debating between the pro 5.0 and that one.
The shift lever (what the shift **** screws onto) on the Pro 5.0 is a different thread pitch than stock. The stock/OE shift **** still fits though, because the **** has only a nylon insert, so the threads on the lever just adapt to the stock **** when you screw it on. However, aftermarket shift ***** that are threaded same as stock, e.g. Roush Billet ****, don't fit, unless you force them to fit by cross-threading. As far as I know, the Steeda Tri-Ax comes with a shift lever with the correct thread pitch. I have the Pro 5.0 with the OE ****, and love it. It's just that now I have a new Roush Billet **** (w/grips, P/N 401427) with no place to go. I refuse to force it on and mess up the threading. If I can't find another shift lever or way to fabricate one, I probably have to sell it.
Old 3/3/07, 09:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Aren't the Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 identical in appearance and performance?

Jon
Old 3/3/07, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
Aren't the Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 identical in appearance and performance?

Jon
Jon, They're identical in performance. However, the thread pitch on their shift levers is different, which I stated above. And, I believe their bushings are slightly different. I met GPStang06, who has the Steeda Tri-Ax, and he said there was a difference in the bushing/assembly at the bottom end of the stick.
Old 3/3/07, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
The shift lever (what the shift **** screws onto) on the Pro 5.0 is a different thread pitch than stock. The stock/OE shift **** still fits though, because the **** has only a nylon insert, so the threads on the lever just adapt to the stock **** when you screw it on. However, aftermarket shift ***** that are threaded same as stock, e.g. Roush Billet ****, don't fit, unless you force them to fit by cross-threading. As far as I know, the Steeda Tri-Ax comes with a shift lever with the correct thread pitch. I have the Pro 5.0 with the OE ****, and love it. It's just that now I have a new Roush Billet **** (w/grips, P/N 401427) with no place to go. I refuse to force it on and mess up the threading. If I can't find another shift lever or way to fabricate one, I probably have to sell it.
Yeah thats probably the only downfall of the 5.0. I had no intention of using an aftermarket **** so it didn't bother me. I seriously couldn't be happier though.
Old 3/3/07, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone happen to know how much shorter the shifts are (% wise) for both the tri-ax and the 5.0? I take it they're the same?

Also, I've heard the 5.0 is a little better longevity wise. I've gathered that the tri-ax has shown history of having rattling and noise problems that the 5.0 doesn't seem to. Just my 2 cents from what I've heard.