GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need opinions on making my Roush hood scoop...

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/05, 06:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we are venting the heat out of the engine compartment, how important is the insulation?
Old 5/29/05, 02:43 PM
FR500 Member

True. I might have to keep the insulation though because it's bringing the air to the intake right now. I'd have to somehow seal the holes in the insulation under the louvers so that the cold air coming in doesn't go straight out. But I agree that if you put louvers in, the insulation might have to go. No point in keeping the heat in if you are trying to get it out through the louvers.
Old 5/29/05, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@May 29, 2005, 4:46 PM
True. I might have to keep the insulation though because it's bringing the air to the intake right now. I'd have to somehow seal the holes in the insulation under the louvers so that the cold air coming in doesn't go straight out. But I agree that if you put louvers in, the insulation might have to go. No point in keeping the heat in if you are trying to get it out through the louvers.

acadian, just a thought here but see if you could purchase just the intake cover piece, the ducting and the air box lid from the CDC shaker system. It should work just perfect with your hood scoop. Just put a rubber seal around the edge where the CDC Shaker scoop would go. Problem solved!!!!

Old 5/29/05, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

:scratch:
Originally posted by acadian@May 28, 2005, 8:49 PM
Ok, I have a hood update. I cut the hole in my hood earlier today and then put the hood scoop back on. Then, I just cut a hole in the insulation cover piece right above where the air filter is at. There's actually an indention right there. So, instead of cutting a hole in the insulation under the hood scoop, I left that closed up and just cut the hole over the filter. I then installed all the little clips that hold up the insulation cover except for the one between the hood scoop and the filter. So, air will come in from the scoop into the area between the hood and the insulation, and then be drawn (most of it) to the hole cut out above the air filter. It was the easiest thing to do. This also will help from rain/ car wash water getting on the engine. Any water will get on the insulation cover, and if there is an issue with misture/mold in the future, I can just change out the insulation. One day I might fabricate something, but this will work for now.

I took the car out for a drive after finishing everything, and I can DEFINITELY feel a difference in acceleration. It is very noticeable... as noticeable as any other mod I've done, except maybe the XCalibrator. I can compare it to my MMR intake, but it actually feels like even more of a difference.

Overall, I'm glad I cut the hole and I like my fix for the hole in the cover, even though it's probably temporary.

I like the louver idea a lot, but will have to do some more research and I may get them down the line. Mark, thanks for the links. I don't like the ones in the first link because you'll see the screws, but the ones on that Jeep look good. I may look into getting those and then just cutting holes in the insulation right under them.
Where are the pics?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
Old 5/29/05, 09:00 PM
FR500 Member

Not really much to show... didn't take pics during the surgical procedure of cutting up my hood. I was under too much stress.
Old 6/13/05, 04:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Louvers on the hood will need a drain system because of the placement of the electrics. I would love to put them to the rear and the side, but it would be right over the battery!
Old 6/14/05, 09:30 AM
FR500 Member

I thought about the same thing. There is an easy solution for that... move the battery to the trunk. Takes off some weight from the front and puts it in the back where you want it. I think you can buy battery relocation kits from places like Summit Racing and Jegs.

But to the rear and the sides of the hood is the right place. I did some research where people had put temperature sensors on their hoods and that's where the majority of the heat always is.
Old 6/29/05, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ian, How about some pics of the finished product???
Old 6/30/05, 09:41 AM
FR500 Member

Dave, I'll try and take some pics this weekend after I wash the car.
Old 6/30/05, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking fwd to it Ian...