long tube headers $253.47

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/07, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long tube headers $253.47

hi all,

i know this is not a popular brand.
but it looks equal length and nice fluid tubing....

any opinions? for the price...it seems pretty amazing!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...spagenameZWDVW
Old 9/25/07, 10:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You pay for what you get?

LT's are a pretty serious mod. I'd go for name. There has to be more then name brand to make a $1000(ish) between those and some of the other LT's on the market. JMO
Old 9/26/07, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I would run, not walk, away from that offer. Just my opinion but like Jonco said you get what you pay for, and at that price you ain't gonna get much.
Old 9/26/07, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
16ga. how thick are other headers? 3/8 flange nice.
Old 9/26/07, 07:09 AM

I wouldn't do it. Robbie OKLACOP, bought some headers off ebay there were alright structurally, but were knock off or stolen headers from the company. I can't remember what company the headers were, maybe JBA's. I wouldn't do it.
Old 9/26/07, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yao, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! I tried ebay when I bought my JBA's. They were JBA's but had been stolen from JBA during mid production. They weren't even finished. They had weld spots and slag all over them, not polished, buffed, etc. Unless you are ordering from a known company that just happens to have an ebay store I'd stay away from ebay on the headers. Hope we have persuaded you.
Old 9/26/07, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

You get what you pay for. Pay a little and get junk. If you want something thats going to fit look good and last then go with a name brand. I installed my own and used America Racing LTs perfect fit and great quality. You will need a new tune when you install them.
Old 9/26/07, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

You don't want black steel anyway. They'll rust and heat your already hotter than hell engine compartment.
Old 9/26/07, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

thanks guys!

great info....

i'll stick to the real thing!!

thanks again!
Old 9/27/07, 12:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Yao, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! I tried ebay when I bought my JBA's. They were JBA's but had been stolen from JBA during mid production. They weren't even finished. They had weld spots and slag all over them, not polished, buffed, etc. Unless you are ordering from a known company that just happens to have an ebay store I'd stay away from ebay on the headers. Hope we have persuaded you.
you aren t talking bout the obx headers by chance are you?? they are only 450 bucs with a h-pipe on ebay. they look good, but i was wondering.
Old 9/27/07, 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

OBX are pretty much a chinese knock off, not the good kind of chinese knock off either.
Old 9/27/07, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by giddy_up
you aren t talking bout the obx headers by chance are you?? they are only 450 bucs with a h-pipe on ebay. they look good, but i was wondering.
I just received my OBX headers yesterday. Everyone told me "Don't get those they are Chinese made crap". I have to disagree now that I have them. They actually look really, really nice. The welds look good, the tubing is thick, the flange is 3/8, and there isn't any slag inside like I expected. They are SS, but they are only 304. They are pretty much just exact JBA knockoffs. I'm hopefully putting them on this weekend. I got them with 2 h-pipes (with and without cats) for 480.00 shipped to my door from eBay. Yes you do get what you pay for, but sometimes you can find decent products at a good price.
Old 9/27/07, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tragik
I just received my OBX headers yesterday. Everyone told me "Don't get those they are Chinese made crap". I have to disagree now that I have them. They actually look really, really nice. The welds look good, the tubing is thick, the flange is 3/8, and there isn't any slag inside like I expected. They are SS, but they are only 304. They are pretty much just exact JBA knockoffs. I'm hopefully putting them on this weekend. I got them with 2 h-pipes (with and without cats) for 480.00 shipped to my door from eBay. Yes you do get what you pay for, but sometimes you can find decent products at a good price.
hi tragik, let us know how it goes...

my point is that as consumers...we are kept in the dark at times and pay more than we have to..who knows.....

should kooks or american racing headers truly cost that much???
Old 9/27/07, 10:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC

should kooks or american racing headers truly cost that much???
Look at the processes in which they are made.
You probably got an american worker, probably a Union Welder, making $30/hr. yeah he's got stills.
Chinese worker, no union, $5 a day, no pension, no dues.....
Most consumer goods these days are made in China, period, like it or not. Most of the wheels available for your car that you have, had, are made in China. My Foose wheels are made in China.
I would say that as long as they are not painted(no Lead paint poisoning), go for it.
I mean, you pay $300 for the off brand and in 2 years their crap.
1. the car maybe gone by then
2. pay another set for $300 and you still save $600 compared to Kooks.
Old 9/27/07, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tragik

Ummmm T304SS is better than T409SS.....

This is why ARH does not offer a ceramic coated header, according to them it's not needed due to the 304ss they use.
Old 9/27/07, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Ummmm T304SS is better than T409SS.....

This is why ARH does not offer a ceramic coated header, according to them it's not needed due to the 304ss they use.
Ha. Want to know the worst part about that screwup? Im the System Administrator for a Metal Fabrication facility...

Old 9/27/07, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

I think we as consumers are being taken advantage of as far as header pricing goes. Look what a nice set of equal length headers goes for on an older model mustang. you can usually get very high quality headers for around $500-600 bucks. I think if you get good quality product at a good price then name brand means nothing. For instance I used to build people computers all of the time. most people would be willing to pay more for a name brand PC that was actually not a good value compared to some of the non name brand computers. it is all marketing.

tell me this: if you get a set of equal length headers made of 304 stainless, with a cnc machined flange and the fit and finish is perfect for $400 are you really going to pay $1000 more just so you can say they are kooks or american racing? if so that is cool... I will be driving by with a set of cams and noname longtubes for the same price you paid for your name brand stuff.

I agree though that a badly made, cheap set of junk headers is actually the most expensive set out there.....but quality is quality. if it is high quality, and less expensive i say go for it and don't look back!
Old 9/27/07, 01:53 PM
GT Member

tragik...buddy make sure you post some pics,and /or maybe even a tacobill style install..
Old 9/30/07, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by giddy_up
tragik...buddy make sure you post some pics,and /or maybe even a tacobill style install..
Well I installed the headers today. Total install time took about 6 hours. I did it over a buddies house on a lift. Install basically went great. I forgot my camera so, unfortunetly I didn't do a TacoBill style write-up.

The headers lined up great with no issues. The H-pipe took a little bit of "massaging" to go on, but nothing really to bad. I also installed Prothane motor mounts in there while I was at it. I think without those the headers would have most likely hit the steering shaft. I used their version of a catted H-pipe, but there version of a cat is basically a bullet style muffler. You could look right through it. I reused the stock gaskets and most of the stock studs. 3 of the top studs on the drivers side I had replace with bolts. I also had to use a set of O2 extenders. I was really surprised at how well these headers fit for the price.

So are these headers worth 480.00?? HELL YES! The car now has much deeper rumble to it, and screams at WOT. It pulls MUCH harder at the top end than it did before. I do notice that with Prothane mounts in there you can feel a lot more vibration in the car. Nothing thats too over the top though, and the benefits far outweigh this.

So in MY experience the OBX longtube headers are a great bang for the buck mod.
Old 9/30/07, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Faber
I think we as consumers are being taken advantage of as far as header pricing goes. Look what a nice set of equal length headers goes for on an older model mustang. you can usually get very high quality headers for around $500-600 bucks. I think if you get good quality product at a good price then name brand means nothing. For instance I used to build people computers all of the time. most people would be willing to pay more for a name brand PC that was actually not a good value compared to some of the non name brand computers. it is all marketing.

tell me this: if you get a set of equal length headers made of 304 stainless, with a cnc machined flange and the fit and finish is perfect for $400 are you really going to pay $1000 more just so you can say they are kooks or american racing? if so that is cool... I will be driving by with a set of cams and noname longtubes for the same price you paid for your name brand stuff.

I agree though that a badly made, cheap set of junk headers is actually the most expensive set out there.....but quality is quality. if it is high quality, and less expensive i say go for it and don't look back!

thanks Faber. this is the WHOLE point of my post here. Even if kooks, jba, AR are better...for more than DOUBLE/triple the price is it DOUBE/TRIPLE better? meaning if fit finish of OBX is very close and good, even if OBX is -5hp, its still worth it. i mean, how much better flow can more expensive mandrel bends really allow the exhaust to flow?

Quick Reply: long tube headers $253.47