GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Competition Shifter - clicking during take off and hard braking?

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/17, 12:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Hurst Competition Shifter - clicking during take off and hard braking?

I installed my Hurst competition (the billet model) short shifter around 2015 in my 2007 GT. I noticed this year that it would make a click sound during take-off in 1st gear when it is cold. It also does it under hard braking in gear (3rd gear or 4th gear). It definitely is coming from the shifter and not the transmission. It almost sounds like a metal bumping into metal sound, not a grind/rattle like with the gearbox.

Is this common and is there a fix? I crawled under the car and physically inspected everything and it looks fine. I'm thinking it might be the ball joint for the shifter base if that makes any sense?

Update: I lubed it and greased it, but still no change. It looks as if the engine/trans movement while it is cold causes the clacking/cracking sound as the entire shifter assembly is twisting under this motion/load. My guess is that the bushings probably get more compliant when warmed up from the engine/trans/exhaust, so it doesn't have this cracking sound.

The Redline High Temp ATF really quieted down the gearbox though, and it seems to run smoother due to the thicker oil. The Mobil 1 ATF just didn't feel right.

Last edited by metroplex; 5/4/17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 5/5/17, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was clicking as well, I found the handle screws had come lose, and the bushing had broken off at the linkage. Note pic. Get a MGW and don't look back.
Attached Thumbnails Hurst Competition Shifter - clicking during take off and hard braking?-img_1001.jpg   Hurst Competition Shifter - clicking during take off and hard braking?-img_1021.jpg  
Old 5/5/17, 07:11 AM
GTR Member

I have the Billet model (not the stamped/welded steel version) but had to re-use my stock bushing. I found it only clicked when the engine/trans was moving around. This would be when the engine was cold, and I had to somehow take off hard in 1st gear or brake hard in 2nd/3rd gear. During normal driving, even fast acceleration like while drag racing, it is silent.
Old 5/5/17, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
You ever thought about torque limiters?
Old 5/6/17, 06:20 PM
GTR Member

It does the clicking in neutral under hard braking
I've also heard it click in neutral going over a bump. I think it must have something to do with the rear end and chassis?

I checked everything on the shifter and it seems fine.
Old 5/7/17, 09:32 AM
GTR Member

Here are some updated notes:

My 2007 GT w/ TR-3650 has just under 20k miles (bought new in 2006). I noticed this year that the shifter makes a harsh clunk/cracking sound during takeoff from 1st gear (just an easy take-off, like pulling away from a stop sign while turning, etc...) and 2nd gear. If I jab the brakes hard, the shifter will make that same clunk especially in the 1-3 gears but it does it in 5th as well. It doesn't seem to do it as much or at all in 2nd and 4th gear.

I did some experimentation and if I shift into neutral while at speed (say 40-50 mph), it will still make that clunk/crack. If the car is moving in reverse, it does it as well in neutral. It also makes the sound when I have the clutch pedal depressed under the same conditions.

Here's the history of the car:
Kept the stock shifter up until 2015, when I switched to the Hurst Billet
Kept the stock H-pipes up until 2015, switched to Pypes off-road X, switched back to stock H-pipe earlier this year. All pipe connections are tight.
Swapped from stock axle-backs to FR500S/GT500KR mufflers in 2012.
Swapped from stock rear lower control arms to Steeda Billet sometime in 2012 as well.
The TR-3650 always had rattling, but not this clunk and I don't recall it ever doing it until early this year.

The clunk/cracking sound seems to only occur when there is a sudden shift in the chassis, like accelerating or hard braking.
If I'm on the freeway driving normally, the shifter feels tight and there are no odd noises. The clutch works fine, as does the transmission.
It feels almost as if the shifter is being yanked forward (towards the engine) during hard braking, and during accelerating from a stop, the same thing is occurring. I did a test by resting my hand on the shifter (gently) to try and feel the cracking sound, and it seems like something is yanking the trans - even in neutral and w/ the clutch disengaged.
Old 5/7/17, 01:01 PM
GTR Member

Looks like the bushing on the bottom of my Hurst cracked apart. Is that what is causing the clunking?
Attached Thumbnails Hurst Competition Shifter - clicking during take off and hard braking?-sam_0521-enhanced.jpg   Hurst Competition Shifter - clicking during take off and hard braking?-sam_0524-enhanced.jpg  
Old 5/9/17, 10:21 AM
GTR Member

Hurst said my shifter is out of warranty, so I'm SOL. It's going in the trash and I will be replacing it with either stock or something else.
Old 5/9/17, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Had an MGW in mine since they first came out, there's a newer version since then, but it's the best shifter I've ever had.
Old 5/9/17, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garbage,

Last edited by Mustang dog; 5/9/17 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 5/9/17, 12:05 PM
GTR Member

If you zoom in on my second pic, you can see the boot is deteriorating almost completely. I can't believe Shelby and FRPP even sourced out the regular Hurst for the Shelby GT.
Old 5/9/17, 11:09 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
I was actually considering the Hurst Billet comp shifter for my 06 GT as an upgrade over the stamped/steel short throw shifter.. However after reading over about the poor customer support from Hurst, I wouldn't even bother wasting my time let alone my hard earned money on their products ever again.. At any rate, looks as though I'll be jumping on the MGW bandwagon for my next shifter

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/10/17 at 07:15 AM.
Old 5/10/17, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hurst should be selling replacement parts for their shifter's if the rubber boots are deteriorating as in the previously shown pics. That's just poor quality material as in the Ford's TSB for seized park brake cables. The cables boot would crack, let water in and the cables would seize.
One other part not available is the pin/bolt going through the shift rod to linkage block. It isn't available from Ford I've been told. Mine has some wear. Nylon bushings and o-rings should also be available as wear items but I haven't seen them anywhere.
The pic here is someone else s, {hope they don't mind me using pic} where he's looking for the bushings whereas I'm looking for the bolt not shown for the hole in that block.

Old 6/12/17, 02:55 AM
GTR Member

I pulled the Hurst Billet shifter and the center joint is pretty much done. There's zero resistance and it just spins. I think it uses that bottom boot for spring action or to dampen any vibrations. That boot is slowly falling apart. I replaced it with a MGW.
Old 4/25/18, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 mustang GT buillet Hurst problem

I have the same problem with my Hurst billet shifter . I have a 2005 mustang GT with only 15k on her and I just installed the shifter not even 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden I have the same thing going on with it. Taking off in 1st I feel it in the shifter arm like something is rubbing or bumping as well as in 2nd . Only does it here and there . Can't really explain why it's doing it but it's pissing me off making me think something else is wrong like the tranny is moving back and forth. Crawled under the car and everything is tight and sound ... Anyone figure this out?
Old 4/25/18, 04:56 PM
GTR Member

The rubber boot underneath the shifter (the one facing the driveshaft) tore on mine causing a lot of slop and the clicking. Hurst relies on that for the cushioning and denied replacement under warranty because I bought my shifter a month before they started the lifetime replacement. The MGW was significantly better.
Old 7/4/18, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Interesting …. absolutely no noises / no deteriorated bushings with ours in a '08 GT. Very happy so far. I don't recall that underneath bushing, but ours is B+.
Old 7/14/18, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I put my Hurst in about 6 months or so after I got my 2005 GT and I have noticed that it doesn't feel quite like it did when new. It used to feel like a toggle switch with a very crisp feel but now it just feels clunky and weird. I haven't look at it from under the car yet but seeing these posts has me wondering if it's worn out and deteriorating. I'm expecting to get my 2019 GT by the first week of September so I'm going to go with the MGW when it comes in. I just don't know if it will work on the 2019. It only has up to the 2018 model year listed on their website but I don't think there is a difference between the 2018 and 2019 so I think it will work.
Old 7/18/18, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Hurst said my shifter is out of warranty, so I'm SOL. It's going in the trash and I will be replacing it with either stock or something else.
So .... You're gonna toss a Hurst Billet + in the trash because of a rattle that is easily fixed, if it is the shifter?

If it is a rattle traced to the shifter, it has to be loose bolt OR the large round ball in socket through which the stick passes is dry, it had clearance. A bit of grease on top side, some use to spread it and it gets quiet.

I once noticed a slight rattle, lifted upper rubber, smeared grease in well around stick on top of ball, a "GOB" works, slide a piece of plastic baggy over shifter to protect boot from "the GOB", then put the rubber boot back down ….. been smooth (never was anything but smooth) and QUIET..

Last edited by tbear853; 6/4/21 at 12:53 PM.